Ratings for Dr. Laurel Smith

I have seen Dr Smith a couple of times and wouldn't send my worst enemy to her! First, I saw her for a prolapse problem. I had a prolapsed bladder, vagina, bowel and uterus and required surgery. I had surgery which included a hysterectomy and prolapse repair. After my surgery, she informed me that my uterus "was not the easiest to get out and my bladder would be angry for a long time because it got in the way" when she was removing my uterus and "it got really squished". I had a catheter for 5 days after surgery because I couldn't urinate because my bladder was angry. The catheter was removed and reinserted several times to see if I could pee on my own and they kept using the same catheter, not a new sterile one. So, I ended up with a severe bladder infection. Also, post surgery, there was a long piece of string from stitches hanging down my vagina. When I saw her on follow up, she checked and said "I don't know where that came from so I'll just cut if off so it's not bothering you". I mean, really? My second experience was for another possible bowel prolapse. She did a quick exam and said Nope, it's not a prolapse. It's your muscles. You just can't defecate properly. She said she would refer me to a specialty clinic in Calgary for further studies. That was over 2 years ago. I never got an appointment at the Calgary clinic and never heard from her office again. As it turns out, 2 years ago was the beginning of what is now a full blown bowel prolapse AGAIN. I was given no instructions for after care for any of my surgery. It was a terrible experience and I will have to have surgery again. It sure won't be from her!!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2019

She use to work in Winnipeg,Manitoba. She saved my life. She is an awesome Doctor. I miss her so much. She takes her time with you. I had so many problems with my stomach. I honestly wouldn’t be here today without her.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2017

I was referred to Dr. Smith following a miscarriage for follow up. Her MOA, Doreen, was fantastic and very sympathetic when I explained my situation and let me know that I would be seen as soon as possible. She was incredible. Very compassionate in handling our loss (unlike Dr. Mpisi whom we had seen the previous evening in the ER) and was very thorough and willing to answer all my questions. She made me feel comfortable, and explained well what to expect through the remainder of the miscarriage. She is a very busy doctor (I was one of many referrals that day) but she took her time to make sure that my questions were answered and that I was comfortable before leaving her office. I will definitely be seeing Dr. Smith for future OB/GYN appointments and for any medical prenatal care.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

She took out the wrong ovary----3 times in the last 2 years...... Enough said

flag | Submitted March 11, 2017

Dr. Smith is a wonderful doctor. She is very attentive and patient. She listens to all my concerns and explains the line of treatment very clearly. She has helped through a molar pregnancy and I truly believe she is invested in my story. She and her staff have been positively helpful in every way possible.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Best of the best! Attention to detail is her middle name. Very much looking out for the best interest of each patient.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

Love her! I have seen her for a few years due to infertility. She is wonderful. Not always on time but I understand why she isn't on time in the clinic. She's busy at the hospital. Overall I give her 9/10 :)

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

Dr. Smith was a good doctor while I was pregnant with my son. She showed genuine concern for medical issues that came up and tried to prevent others from happening. She was late for every appointment we had at the clinic but while I was in labour I realized why that was (she was always at the hospital when I needed). My only concern was during labour she was very quick to jump to performing a c-section.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2015

I have had excellent care with Dr. smith. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. I hope she stays in Drumheller for a long time.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2015

Very kind and professional. Explained procedure as she was taking the steps to complete it.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2015