Ratings for Dr. Stephen Betschel

I saw Dr.Betschel at St. Michaels hospital, I had traveled a few hours to see him and I was not disappointed. He was throughout, knowledgable and seemed genuinely concerned. He referred me to other specialists and made me feel like my concerns were heard. No negative comments here, just happy to have had the opportunity to consult with him.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

I find these comments about this particular allergist surprising. He is a renound allergist and immunologist. Who works out of multiple offices. Correct he only has a limited amount of time per patient and is booked solid. However his staff is immensely knowledgable and helpful. The nurse that actually gives me my weekly needles knows what's going on. Furthermore he is a specialist not a GP why do you need an hour to sit and talk. Always on time for me. Never late for an appt. Early morning appts available so I can get to work. Albeit I will say if his main receptionist isn't working ( Liz) the front desk can be a disaster. Otherwise as a doctor and office in general One of the best run specialist offices I have ever been in

flag | Submitted July 5, 2017

I don't understand the negative reviews with Dr. Betschel? Anyone that knows anything about the Canadian medical system should know your appointments are never on time no matter how early you are, people are always going to arrive late and mess up everyone elses schedule, and there's always someone with a more serious/urgent condition than you (none of this is by any fault of the doctor). Dr. Betschel has always been knowledgeable and efficient! He's always in a great mood, he's a quick talker, but he always listens and he's very good at what he does. I've been seeing him for almost 10 years now and, although he is away a lot, him and his staff have always been able to address my immediate concerns, correct any errors in a timely manner, and offer the help I need efficiently! On top of that, he always has a great attitude, he's always in a great mood, and he's wonderful to deal with! Never would I say he's arrogant; but I can see that some miserable patients may not having a very high tolerance for someone who is always in a good mood, so be weary of reviews posted about him. I would definitely recommend him to anyone who's looking to manage their allergies!

flag | Submitted December 21, 2016

Excellent doctor who is very knowledgeable in his field and totally cares for his sick patients. I was seen by Dr. Betschel recently and could not be happier that I did because finally now I know what has been troubling me all these years. It's been frustrating not knowing what the causes were. Now I am being treated and already feel so much better. Thank you Dr. Betschel!! I've read the reviews on here and feel that Dr. Betschel has been unfairly rated and misunderstood. He is efficient and manages his time well. These doctors are super busy and have some patients that are very sick. So being efficient is terribly important. Ludicrous that some of the comments mention Dr. Betschel not caring about what they had to say. Reality, most likely NOT relevant what these people had to say. Leave it to the experts. Dr. Betschel is a specialist and clearly an expert in his field of medicine. We patients are referred to him because he is able to diagnose and help us accordingly.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

He seems to assume that you're some idiot incapable of seeing through his superficial answers and fake facade. His professionalism is just a mask to hide his utter disdain. If you have a serious problem he seems to always be away somewhere. Is this guy a real doctor or someone like Leo in catch me if you can. His only saving grace is he seems to be on time and at least pretends to be professional...all the while his actions show that he doesn't care about anyone other than himself.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2016

Rushed, rude and does not care about what you have to say. Has no time for the patient,didn't seem to care at all,waste of time,the whole experience is BEYOND me.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Betschel by my family doctor. I arrived at the hospital 20 minutes prior to my 8AM (Weds) appt as i know how hard it is to find rooms in a hospital ... i asked (no exaggeration) 5 different people in the hospital where to find this doctor/office. no one could point me in the right direction. Finally, the last person i asked specified to me that the elevator for this office/ area of the hospital was in a totally separated little corridor. I arrived at my appt a mere 7 minutes past 8AM, apologized for being tardy, and was sat in the waiting area... ONE HOUR LATER the receptionist/admin approached me and apologized for the wait, told me Dr. Betschel was seeing ALL the other patients first because "they werent late".. Mind you, the woman beside me walked in at 8:35 AM, assuming she was in for an 8:30AM appt, i'm pretty sure that would be considered late... That fact aside, the admin lady was very nice to me, said that she would check with Betschel and see when he would be able to see me. She came back a few minutes later and said that he "didnt know when he would have the time" and had no estimation for how much longer i would have to wait, wasting away my Weds morning. I said i would not be waiting around any longer as i had a job to get to and was already late for it. She suggested if i didnt want to wait around that we could reschedule for Monday 8AM instead. i reluctantly agreed to this. fast forward, two days later, Friday 11:30AM - the admin lady called me, told me that Dr. Betschel can't make my 8AM appt on Monday anymore. Confused, i asked why? she told me "honestly, he didnt give a reason" ..... and proceeded to tell me that she didnt know when his next available appt was, and that she *could* transfer me over to another doctor in the office but that they were all booking for months in advance, "one lady in fact is booking for September at the earliest right now" ..... well then. i expressed how FRUSTRATED i was and said, quite frankly, "i dont even want to see this doctor anymore. he doesn't seem like a reasonable man and i definitely don't want to be sat with him in a room while he tests me." I asked the receptionist if i could move my appointment to another allergy doctor NOT located in this office, she said yes call your family doctor and tell him that's what you'd like to do. Didn't seem to care at all, although she did apologize. I'd much rather speak to Dr. Stephen Betschel personally and express how unreasonable he's portrayed himself to be, but alas, there (of course) is no email or direct contact for him. This whole experience is BEYOND me. All this because i was SEVEN minutes late for an 8AM appt. Also, the office was located in (what i can only imagine is) the reject wing of the hospital. Dingy and outdated.

Submitted April 22, 2016

All he did was do the allergy test and refer me to another allergy specialist for penicillin. That doctor did the test then couldn't tell me if I was or was not allergic to something. Neither Doctor provided any incite to what to do about it. Then neither wrote a report to my family doctor ended up having to go to my third allergy specialist to have them tell me I am allergic to penicillin. Big waste of time.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2016

Dr. Betschel is extremely intelligent and has a broad medical knowledge. He is flexible and is willing to try new suggestions from his patients. The nurses are excellent too. I have read the negative comments on this website from other patients and I think those comments can be attributed to a Government funded health care system cutting budget money and not having enough doctors in Ontario to handle the huge number of of patients and therefore each patient only has a brief minutes long appointment with any doctor and therefore the only solution I have found to work for me is to make more appointments and only talk about one issue per appointment. Provincial governments also cause problems when they cut budget money designated for hospitals.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2016

I feel that Dr. Betschel is one of the best specialists I have been referred to. I have been with him for years and I have nothing but, good to say about him and his team! they are awesome!

flag | Submitted June 29, 2015