Dr. Joel Fransen

World Class Punctuality Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Joel Fransen

Professional, goes the extra for each patient. Great chair side manner Makes the experience bearable

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

Great endodontist. Stayed late to see me and got me out of pain. Freezing totally painless and I didn't feel a thing when he worked on me. I have had other root canals that hurt even with freezing but I didn't feel a thing! My tooth is perfect now and I went back to my dentist to get a crown afterwards. My cost was actually a lot lower than my estimate which made me even more pleased. If I ever need a root canal again, I'll go to Dr. Joel.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2017

I have known Dr Fransen for over 20 years -I find him honest, very pleasant. Great sense of humor. Excellent professional

Submitted September 30, 2017

Excellent experience-- I was well taken care of--highly recommend Dr. Fransen. Very pleasant staff and extremely helpful as I asked many questions.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2017

Complaints are valid Both incompetent scam artist

flag | Submitted July 15, 2017

Saw Dr. Fransen on one of his (professional) trips to Whitehorse, Yukon. Make sure you get a clear quote from the secretary/receptionist that travels with him, including procedure codes (insurance companies go only by procedure codes). Insist on a consultation visit first and after ask for a pre-determination (they will send it to your insurance company.) Schedule your treatment separate from your consultation (if you aren't in too much pain), so you know before you get into that chair what and how much your insurance company covers. You should expect to pay significantly more for a specialist dentist than the Yukon fee schedule for dental procedures, but this fellow charges superstar fees. Don't hesitate to bargain! Ask that any quote be on paper, or sent to your email. I saved close to $900 by asking questions regarding the procedure codes, especially since they didn't seem to have a consistent, straight forward fee schedule based on procedure codes. It seemed fees were charged based on what they thought they could get. Double check the insurance claim before you leave the office: the right procedure code for each tooth (number).

flag | Submitted May 15, 2017

I had heard good things about this dentist and his staff were kind. Root canal started, first appt was long but not painful, second spot which was supposed to be a quicker final step was awful, and the freezing didn't work properly. I found him rather rough doing the procedure the second time and consequently have a complication now and will,probably have to have the tooth removed after spending about $2,000. Will not be returning.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

If you are to see this doctor, make sure you are ready for three pains. 1) Physical pain: after the frozen shots, the rush start by this doctor as he is bouncing between 2 patients will make you cringe. You will be in tear as he drill thru the layer of nerves. side note, You will also be drown in your own saliva if you do not signal the assistance to clear it. Do not expect she will do that automatically. you have to signal her every single time. 2) Post pain: expect to not able to eat anything for ten days after as there were cuts on the tougue and gums around the tooth. returned visit confirmed these cuts but this doctor brushed away as it was no big deal. I suspect, this is the result of lack of experience of the assistance when she put a the metal clamp on the tooth. Your mouth is frozen so you will not feel the cut at the time, only hours after... good luck trying to eat anything when your gum and the tongue have deep cuts , very sore indeed. 3) Financial Pain: I have 2 health care plans and still have to pay out of my own pockets as the limit were reached. Money is request to pay up front in full prior to any work done even with consultation. Since there are so limited number of specialist in Richmond, after this experience and future reference, it is best to remove the tooth than having a root canal; root canal still kills the tooth, eventually it will fall off....

flag | Submitted October 3, 2016

The receptionist is the only kind person I encountered. I was poorly treated by the Dr. and experienced severe pain during the procedure.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2016

doctor was great, office was great, assistant was cold and unfriendly

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016