Ratings for Dr. E Young

I am presuming I am rating the correct Dr. Young, Respirologist at the Jubilee, as I never got his first name on any of the referrals. I am however very glad I came on here...since everyone had the same experience which makes me feel more confident about leaving my review. This doctor dismissed tests I had had, and did not listen to me correctly,nor really respond to my concerns. He did not have any answers, and was scrambled in his prognosis. I feel he limits his responses to his "formulaic"knowledge of lungs and does not look at the whole person, nor that the patient, who is before him, actually has a great deal of expertise in their illness/disease and is looking for additional, specialised information and treatment. Bottom line, despite various doctors both in Europe and North America telling me I have asthma, he decided I did not, and to stop taking the treatments I have been following. He felt I must be over focussing/over obsessing on my lungs. His resident was way more attentive, and helpful...really listened to my history, and understood where I was coming from. Dr. Young appeared under qualified for his position, and lacked manner and expertise dealing with me as a patient.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2017

Not engaged as someone else mentioned in a previous review, Sent his student doctor to look after me. Was totally annoyed by any questions I might ask and responded with kindergarten teacher simplicity to me when I was seeking a legitimate consultation. I am concerned he may be passing bad habits along to his under study.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

This review is for Dr. A. Young, a respirologist who is also the head of the adult Cystic Fibrosis clinic at Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I moved here almost two years ago now from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Although I think Dr. Young is quite good at dealing with my many lung infections, he is lacking as a Cystic Fibrosis doctor. In Ontario the CF doctors understood that Cystic Fibrosis does not just affect the lungs. It also affects your entire digestive system, your sinuses, your bones, your hearing, your kidneys, your blood pressure etc. Some of these are due to the endless medications that you take for your lungs including but certainly not limited to Prednisone (long term use has given me severe osteoporosis- so much so that I have broken bones by coughing), antibiotics like Tobramycin have given me tinnitus in both ears. My sinuses are full of infected mucus that causes extremely painful headaches despite the three sinus surgeries that I have had. In Ontario the doctors understood that pretty much everything that I am dealing with including depression, anxiety and insomnia are related to Cystic Fibrosis. Dr. Young, however, does not see it this way. Now I'm okay with seeing other specialists even though it takes up a lot of my time. But what I'm not okay with is his determination to not treat anything but the lungs, and that's assuming you don't have any pain in the lungs. The CF doctors in Ontario prescribed me Hycodan (a narcotic) to use occasionally when I had a coughing fit that I couldn't stop and that effected my whole body and made everything painful. Dr. Young told me right off the bat that I didn't need that and it was the first of my medications to go. In the past year my sinus headaches have become so unbearable and the pain so intense that most afternoons and evenings I sit in the dark, sometimes in tears because the pain is so intense. Dr. Young told me that if he has to live with backpain then I could certainly deal with this. How incredibly arrogant!! Everyone experiences pain differently and no one has the right to tell me that my pain is overrated! So now, with the government increasing pressure on doctors about narcotics, Dr. Young, my one and only CF doctor, has made a "policy" for himself: "He does not prescribe narcotics or benzodiazepine" , mainly so that he doesn't have to fill out the paperwork for government as to why I need it. Dr. Waters, the previous CF doctor here on the island who has recently retired, prescribed Clonazepam (sleeping pill for me) with absolutely no scruples. But Dr. Young refuses to continue prescribing them, because it is "against his policy". The doctors in this country have way too much power, and in the case of Dr. Young he couldn't care less about his patients so long as he doesn't have to fill out more paperwork! So anyone with Cystic Fibrosis who is thinking of moving to Vancouver Island, please consider what I have said!! I wholly regret moving here myself!

flag | Submitted May 18, 2017

Not really engaged when I was in office. Felt like I was wasting his time. He was a bit scattered explaining my diagnosis which left me very confused. I asked him to write down a few names he mentioned to me about my problems and he was hesitant. Maybe it is that he is young still. Hope things get better. Office experience was good. Staff extremely helpful

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013