Ratings for Dr. Virginia Celmer

The jury is still out on the effectiveness of Animal Assisted Therapy. See ^ Chur-Hansen, A.; Winefield, H. (2010). "Gaps in the evidence about companion animals and human health: some suggestions for progress". International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare 8 (3): 140146. doi:10.1111/j.1744-1609.2010.00176.x. PMID 21199382. See also: Serpell (1990), Walsh (2009), and Wilson (2006). However, from my brief and non-scientific analysis of my session, I felt the presence of the dog was somewhat comforting. The presence of the therapist, however, was not. Might I also emphasize the phrase "presence of the animal". I believe the person giving the review below, like me, was not arguing that the PRESENCE of the animal was the issue at hand, but rather the time devoted to the discussion of said animal. The fact that the dog is in the same room should suffice to aid in the treatment of the patient. The dog requires no further acknowledgement.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2014

I found her very helpful and professional. She is more prescriptive than other therapists, but that is a style, not an indication of effectiveness.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2013

By far the worst therapist I have ever encountered. She spent too much time enforcing her house rules during sessions. Very poor comprehension of patient information and dreadful listening skills. Imposes her own ideas and solutions on clients without taking time to listen to facts and information they provide. Extremely judgemental. Didn't want me for a client so she "closed" my file while I was out of town caring for a critically ill relative-in her eyes I was not "cooperating" since I did not schedule a followup visit soon enough. I tried to get her removed from our insurance company's provider list and unfortunately failed.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2012

She is a very unprofessional person and not worth your time. I actually paid for her "services" and wish I could get my money back.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2012

Dr. Virginia Celmer's Credentials

• Texas Tech University Health Science Center School Of Medicine (Grad. 1986)

Amerigroup