Ratings for Dr. F Al-Somali

Dr.Al-Somali was my son's doctor from pre-teen until he was discharged to adults :( He is one of the most amazing Physicians I have met in the 18 years of intensive involvement in hospital due to my son's medical needs. He never ever made you feel that he did not have time for you, even though you knew based on what he had on his plate he must be exhausted. I cannot say enough good things about his doctor -brilliant and an exceptional human being. I believe he also teaches a U of M Medical School - hope those future doctors learn a lot from him. My son was so much more comfortable with him and had so much more confidence in his treatment plans (because he explained things at the right level for his age - more simple when he was younger and as a young adult when he was 17 and having major procedures).

flag | Submitted December 7, 2015

Our daughter was referred to Dr. Al-Somali after we had a bad experience with another pediatrician. Our daughter has a rare genetic disorder and numerous medical problems. I cannot stress how wonderful Dr. Al-Somali is. He is very knowledgeable, patient, kind, and has a great bedside manner. Our daughter is very shy, and because of a very bad year with multiple surgeries and hospital stays, she is very anxious around doctors. Dr. Al-Somali quickly put our daughter at ease and she will talk to him unlike other doctors. Three weeks ago our daughter got a cold, which turned into an ear infection. Dr. Al-Somali had given us his card with his email address on it. We emailed him at night, and he told us to bring our daughter in the next morning to his office. He fit her in, confirmed she had an ear infection and prescribed antibiotics. Our daughter is immunosupressed so we were told to contact him if her fever returned after she finished the antibiotics. This afternoon, the Sunday of a long weekend, our daughter's fever came back. She started to complain about ear pain again. We emailed Dr. Al-Somali and he is sending a prescription to a 24 hour pharmacy for our daughter. Because of our daughter's immunosupression, infections can be dangerous and lead to a hospital stay or worse. Dr. Al-Somali is the first pediatrician our daughter has had who made the time to see our daughter short-notice. And because he responds to emails, we didn't have to take our daughter to a hospital emergency room and take up time there. Outstanding.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2015

We were referred to Dr. Al-Somali after the birth of our first son. The problem is, the bar now is set so high for other doctors! We moved to BC and haven't been able to find anyone comparable! Dr. Al-Somali is the best doctor we have ever had. He takes a real interest in his patients, and is wonderful with our children! He cares, doesn't rush you out, and takes the time to explain exactly what is going on. I would recommend him to every single parent!

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

We are very fortunate to have Dr. Faisal Al Somali as our children's doctor. When Dr. MacDonald who was our children's doctor informed us that he was retiring, we immediately became extremely concerned. We became concerned because we did not think that we would find an appropriate replacement for him to take care of our children's health needs. We have three children aged 5, 7 and 14 years. All of them are wonderful healthy children. However, the first and second born have multiple serious allergies, including asthma for the second born. Thus, one minute they could be healthy and playing around like any child, when suddenly something triggers their allergies and we have to rush them to the emergency room. Because of numerous visits to hospitals and being poked by doctors and nurses, they really do not like doctors and hospitals that much. We were introduced to Dr. Al Somali by Dr. Macdonald just before he retired. As we got to know him, we realized how lucky we were to have him as Dr. MacDonald's replacement. He immediately understood our children's healthy challenges. During the process of getting to know the children, it is almost as though Dr. Somali brings himself to their level as he interacts with them and conducts the examinations. He has, therefore, gained their trust which allows them to be comfortable each time we visit his office. He shows genuine care each time we visit him, whether in an emergency situation or "normal" visit. Consequently, they feel that their doctor listens to them when they tell him how they are feeling. Now, even the ones with allergies who did not like doctors and hospitals look forward to a visit with their favourite doctor with happiness. They know that if they are not feeling well, Dr. Al Somali will help them feel better again. Dr. Al Somali has many professional qualities and characteristics which we have come to admire and respect. He is knowledgeable and has never misdiagnosed any of our children's illnesses even in challenging circumstances. For example, when our youngest child had a rather unfortunate human caused injury, he was able to determine the nature of the injury and the likely cause which was helpful in treating it and also dealing with the whole situation. In addition, Dr. Al Somali is caring and responds to phone calls promptly. We feel very grateful to have Dr. Al Somali as our children's doctor. Thank you so much Dr. Al Somali for the care you provide to our children.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

Dr Al-Somali was referred to us by another dr while my daughter was a patient in the childrens hospital. He took us on as patients and we drove from Gimli to St.B, then HSC when he moved for appts because he is one of the best Dr's you will find. Very good with people, not a long wait to get in and he listens.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

Dr Somali is the greatest doctor we have seen! My daughter has had coughing and choking attacks since she has been born. We seen many different doctors who would always treat her as having a lung infection or virus. The they "diagnosed" her as having asthma. Puffers did not help and I was getting very fed up seeing my poor little girl like this. We seen Dr Somali, he right away said it is very unlikely she even has asthma. He right away scheduled to have swallow tests done which determined she has a vascular ring. Within a week of seeing Somali we had answers that numerous doctors over a year and half could not answer. He also pushed to have CT scan scheduled right away and starting communication with surgeon. A++++ for Somali, I feel blessed to have him as my daughters pediatrician. Strongly recommend Somali, for un-urgent needs I suggest seeing someone else. Please save this amazing doctor for the children who need urgent care!

flag | Submitted December 16, 2014

He is truly a awesome personal doctor. He always calls our son his boy too! Our son had such a hard time in 2013 and that's when we met him. He was there for our son and also for us. He made a difficult time more easy by being there for our Cyrus. Even though I was the more difficult parent to deal with he was still awesome. He still talks to us when we see him and always please to see our son. He is just awesome!

flag | Submitted November 18, 2014

The BEST pediatrician in the province in addition to his areas of specialty!! You could not ask for a better doctor for your children!

flag | Submitted October 9, 2014

Dr. Al-Somali is amazing!! He replies to e-emails, phone calls at all times of the day. Takes time to look over my daughter. I am expecting #2 right now and can't wait for him to be her ped.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2014

Dr. Al-Somali is fantastic. My daughter was sick with an infection during the Christmas holidays and he saw us through it every step of the way. He was with us at the hospital and in close contact with us once we were home. He even took the time to help us on Christmas day which I am forever grateful for because we would have ended up back in emergency if it wasn't for him. He is very knowledgeable and caring. He always takes the time to answer your questions and he answers them well.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2013