Ratings for Dr. J Downar

Dr. Downar really cares. He embodies compassion through his commitment to exceptional patient care and innovative research. He is extremely knowledgeable about brain stimulation, and can explain complex science in an accessible way. He has treated me like a person, and is genuinely concerned about improving my quality of life. He expressed genuine joy at the way rTMS has benefited me, and listened intently to where I was at. rTMS has greatly improved my life. I am thankful to have found a treatment that works, after years of struggling. He has also established an exceptional and caring team. His assistant, Sunny,is very caring and thoughtful. The technicians at his clinic are relaxed and warm. They are comfortable chatting with patients, and help bring ease to the atmosphere at the clinic. I recommend the rTMS clinic at Toronto Western strongly.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2017

Arrogant is the word to start this with. Acts as though he's some kind of demi-god. Yuck. Stopped seeing him and his attitude.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2017

Dr. Jonathan Downar is amazing. As someone who has seen a host of mental health professionals, I can truly say that I've never met someone like Dr. Downar. What really stands out about him, besides his breadth of knowledge and super-intelligence, is that he actually really cares, and it is evident in all your interactions with him. You are never treated as just a patient, or just another person with depression. He has often permitted me to have ultra long appointments, despite how busy he is, because I've had questions or concerns. He has never given up on me, despite the fact that two doses of rTMS were not helpful. I also referred a very distressed friend to him and he saw her two days later, without requiring a referral from her doctor. I cannot recommend him enough.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2016

Exceptional doctor! Dr.downar is very knowledgeable, caring and professional. I would gladly refer him. His staff are a pleasure to interact with, especially the bearded dude at the front desk. Always friendly and happy to help. Great team!

flag | Submitted July 17, 2015

Very helpful, knowledgeable and caring. I've had a lot of psychiatrists over the years, but he is the only one that ever helped.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2015

Dr. Downar has been so helpful because he listens, really listens, cares and suggests other treatments if the first isn't ideal. He gave me hope and strength that it took to overcome my illness because he is a genuinely concerned and informative!!

flag | Submitted January 25, 2014

Dr. Downar is one of the best psychiatrists I have met. He is on the leading edge of research as well as philanthropy for depression. He is evidently well informed about his research, but most importantly...he is kind. He clearly listens to his patients and is willing to offer additional treatment options. As a psychiatrist he provides hope. One of the most important things any psychiatrist worth their value can offer anyone suffering from depression. Further, his staff are all wonderful, helpful, responsive and kind. I have had the opportunity to interact with each member of his staff and they all comment on "how wonderful he is to work for". If only every workplace could be as fortunate!!! He has created a clinic and atmosphere that patients and employees enjoy going to. No doubt, Dr. Downar will establish an exemplar reputation in the field and research of depression. I wish him nothing but success in his ambition and interest in mitigating depression.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2013

Dr. Downar was a wonderful Psychiatrist to have received treatment from. As a younger doctor, he is a relatively new graduate from medical school, and seems to have the most cutting-edge treatment options. His staff at TWH were very helpful. Him and his staff promptly return e-mail's, and phone messages. I believe he operates one of the only rTMS treatment centres in Ontario, so he is very specialized, and in-demand. Unfortunately, his services did not help alleviate any of my depression symptoms, but neither have any of my other doctors previous. He has both a research and clinical doctorate in medicine, so he is likely one of the most educated Psychiatrists in Ontario. I would recommend his services to almost anyone who needs help.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2013