Ratings for Dr. Rola Zamel

I was referred to this specialist after being diagnosed with PCOS by my family doctor after a pelvic ultrasound. I had read the terrible reviews prior to my appointment and assumed it was just miserable people who only write reviews when they have bad experiences. Well I was greatly proved wrong; every poor review shown is spot on. I was seen by Dr. Zamel an hour and a half later than my scheduled appointment and the waiting room wad actuslly the size of a water closet. She must not think she needs an average sized office since the woman probably can't keeo patients. Once I was finally seen, I gave her a brief description of the symptoms I had been experiencing and a bit about my past with adolescent diabetes screening which is fairly important considering the topic of discussion was PCOS which involves insulin resistance and she's a endocrinologist. She proceeded to cut me off and say she would first ask the screening questions and I can add whatever else after. At one point during the screening, I advised her I had 6 drinks per week on average and she actually replied, so you like to get drunk. I could tell she was judging me. At that point I knew this was going nowhere fast. After the physical exam and her own questions were fulfilled she told me that I do not have PCOS just because I have cysts on my ovaries and all the symptoms i. e. hair growth, sudden weight gain, hormone imbalances and that I just need to exercise and eat properly; which I do! Not only did she say essentially everything I was experiencing had nothing to do with PCOS but she actually CHUCKLED. She laughed and smirked at me like I was an idiot. She gave me another blood test request, advised me to see a gynecologist and printed out a fact sheet on PCOS, like I don't already read web pages and forums on a regular basis. She once again confirmed that weight gain is not a PCOS symptom when the print out she gave me states WEIGHT GAIN AS A SYMPTOM. I left the office as soon as I could, almost in tears from how upset I was. It's not that she discredited all my symptoms and the diagnosis I received from my family doctor after an ultrasound but she literally laughed and smirked while saying it like I was an idiot. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I couldn't believe she was all that bad from the previous reviews but the proof is in the pudding. There is no way I will ever see her again. Please, Please, please take my advice and see someone else. Do not waste your time. She not only wasted my time but really ruined my day... No one have to feel the way I did leaving that appointment.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2017

First of all, Dr. Zamel’s staff, Stacey/Tracey?, is WONDERFUL! She’s patient and helpful. I can’t imagine Dr. Zamel’s office without her work. … Dr. Zamel ALWAYS is at least an hour behind the scheduled appointment time. Perhaps she does not value your time or thinks your time less valuable than hers. I would suggest you never to arrive on-time. When I first met her, she used a mini check list and only asked for my “Yes” or “No” answers. Like other said here, after she went through the yes-or-no questions, she continued her own data analysis in front of her computer and ignored the patient. I’m not sure why she needed to see patients in person because these could be done over the phone. Dr. Zamel does not know how to communicate or explain the sickness or symptoms. I assume this is why other reviews here are poor. In my opinion, she’s not a “bad” doctor. She simply has poor bedside manner. Although all endocrinologists in town are in months waiting time, Dr. Zamel can be available in weeks. Therefore, you may be able to see her sooner if you can't see an endocrinologist right away.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

I don't know how she became a doctor. I waited over an hour for her to tell me that my autoimmune disease means nothing, and I am imagining my symptoms as medicated should = symptom free. She's dumb. See a different endo.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

Honestly do yourself a favour and don't go see this doctor. She did not take me seriously.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017

Kind and patient specialist but inflexible with treating autoimmune diseases. Treated me very respectfully but refused to run diagnostic tests until months after the appointment. Does not seem to know much about Hashimotos disease. On a side note, the office smelled terribly like second-hand smoke.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2017

LONG waits past scheduled appointment. Very tiny Cramped waiting room, having to stand in the hall is never good. I felt like she was in la la land, she asked me numerous questions ten different times. I still to this day believe she started me on meds i didn't need, since its life long hormonal therapy there is no going back. She def. treated me with respect, however she wasn't at all present for my appointments. First hint was the cluttered mess that is her office. I'm sorry but you need to do more tests before diagnosing someone with something serious. I would recommend trying another doctor. Especially for people with thyroid issues (she has no idea about them) i've learned more about hashimotos on the internet than this Dr informed me. absolutely no follow up, nothing on major changes i was about to endure, nor any information on possible complications of synthetic hormones, Which i guess i have to now deal with for life, and i'm not even 35.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2016

I am surprised with all the negative comments below. I have now attended 5 appointments with Dr. Zamel and I have not detected any of the criticisms outlined here. I routinely have 30 minutes or more in discussions with her and I find her to listen as well as inform. She makes the effort to find out if I can afford some of the medications she is suggesting and makes practical decisions based on this. She outlines the purpose of the visit at the beginning as she reads through her previous notes so both of us are aware of the desired outcome of the appointment. I notice that she double checks lab tests and prescriptions as she is going over them, this is not as common as it should be. I always schedule early morning appointments due to my work schedule so perhaps I am spared some of the longer wait times, but I have grown to accept longer wait times generally. I have also not felt rushed towards the end of an appointment so perhaps this contributes to larger waits later on in the day. I have no problem in recommending Dr. Zamel to any of my friends or family

flag | Submitted October 25, 2016

I accompanied my mother to her appointment to see Dr Zamel recently. We had to wait for over 45 min in her tiny waiting room and were only able to sit down for approximately 15min, the rest of the time was spent in the hallway. I had my service dog in training with me (who comes everywhere) and we were denied entry to her office because of the dog. I explained to her it was not a 'pet' but she told me that she did not allow dogs of any kind in her practice including service dogs!!!! I was shocked that she would admit this openly as it is clearly against the law. I told her this and she replied that we would need to reschedule the appointment because she couldn't see my mother if the dog was present. A very nice lady in the waiting room offered to watch him for us while we went in because we didn't want to reschedule. I know the laws regarding service dogs in training and they can be refused so I didn't press her on this but I did ask her how she accommodates patients who need a service animal. She simply said that they are referred to another Dr, that she will not see them!!! This is so unacceptable and illegal. A person with a disability cannot be refused access to treatment. Could you imagine waiting months to be seen by a specialist only to show up and be refused because your service animal is not welcome and then having to wait to see someone else?! This is totally unacceptable. She needs to be educated of the laws in Ontario. I plan to report her to the College of Physicians. I have never left a review on one of these sites but I though it important to warn anyone who has a service animal so they aren't inconvenienced. Her bedside manner left quite a bit to be desired and she was more focused on the dog rather than answering our questions and dealing with my mom's concerns. I have encouraged my mother to find another Dr.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Is she the same one from 900 king street in Kitchener? avoid at all cost and I want to rate her 0 instead of 1

flag | Submitted May 31, 2016

Well I have not been impressed so far. She spends my apt which is always late transcribing test results onto a long sheet. She has given me the same set of instructions to stop one medication more than twice - despite the fact that I told her I'd already done it. Her waiting room is smaller than my apartment size bathroom and there's no place to sit. People have to stand in the hallway. She laughed at me when I asked some of my questions. I'm just not that happy or confident in her skill set.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016