Ratings for Dr. Karel F. Rybnicek

I had a procedure a few weeks ago to stretch my esophagus called a EGD at the hospital in Shelby NC. I did not meet Dr. Rybnicek until right before my anesthesia, and only because a nurse prompted him. He did not look or speak to me upon entering the room. He flirted with his young assistant and they played by bumping their butts together while waiting on the anesthesiologist. This was rude and unprofessional. My last thought before being unaware from the sedation was feeling that I had made the wrong decision. My wife was surprised that the procedure was no more than 10 minutes, which I've since learned is usually 30-45 minutes. My esophagus ripped during the procedure. I have rheumatoid arthritis and take medication that lowers my body's ability to fight infection. He did not prescribe antibiotics or pain medication. Fortunately I had a full Rx of antibiotics at home. He did not call at any time after the procedure to check on my progress. I had severe pain for weeks.Not recommended!

flag | Submitted January 9, 2013

This doctor is condesending, does not remember what he did during the procedure. Refuses to take any respondsibility for his actions. He said if I choose to have a procedure done, (ERCP) then I just took a chance. The procedure resulted in life threathing complications, which he said was my fault for having the procedure.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2012