Ratings for Dr. Cheryl Letheren

DO NOT consider this team to look after your family. They are lacking basic human care, kindness and compassion in their practice.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2018

THE WORST experience I have ever had with a doctor. Having a brain injury means I perceive the world around me differently. In fact, that’s why I was referred to a NEURO-Optometrist. My first experience with the doctor was uneventful. 2011 she wrote a report for my insurance company and updated my status. 2013 I went back for a test and was given prisms (my eyes are starting to cross - in fact, it’s very noticeable when I’m tired). This past Friday I went back for another test as I am noticing I am seeing shadows of letters when reading (even with my glasses) and my eyes are getting tired. From the very beginning of the appointment she was in a rush and visibly irritated. She rushed through the tests, asking “which one is better: 1 or 2, 2 or 3, 3 or 4.” The options were flashed by so quickly that my brain didn’t have a chance to process what I was seeing. I asked to see the options again, which was made to seem an inconvenience. I stopped her and explained that the difference between 1 and 2 was not clearer but that 1 seemed more squished than the taller option in 2, but both seemed equally fuzzy. She responded with an outburst of exasperation and said “I don’t know what you expect of me. You see 20-20. I can’t help you!” I began to cry and this caused her even more frustration. I offered to wipe my eyes and start again but instead she rushed me out, suggesting she would have to squeeze me in for another quick 5-minute appointment in two weeks (what she hoped to accomplish in 2wks I had no clue). At the desk she told the receptionist, “I know there is no time, but see if you can find 5 minutes to squeeze in a quick appointment in 2wks.” So now she had not only communicated very clearly that she had zero patience for my issues or concerns, but she is saying she doesn’t have time to deal with my needs as a patient (who has a significant head injury and has no one to advocate for her except herself). Today I called a neuro-Ophthalmologist (MD) I had seen a few years back for an eye-infection. If there was anyone who could get to the bottom of this visual perception problem, it would be him. I explained my situation to reception but, as I expected, I need a new referral in order to get an appointment. So I called Dr Letheren’s office back because she very clearly said to me “I can’t help you.” I explained to reception that I have been seen by a Neuro-Ophthalmologist in the past and needed a referral to see him again since Dr Letheren is unable to help me. Her receptionist called me back to say she would not approve the referral because she didn’t think it was necessary. I told her this is the worst experience I have ever had with a doctor and I will not be back to her office.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2018

I am very unhappy with Dr. Letherens professionalism. She uses her staff to relay messages to me about significant changes in my care. Also, I have been given contradictory information from Dr. Letheren from appointment to appointment, leaving me wondering what answer is correct. Dr.letheren has been terse and on the verge of hostile towards me when my brain injury demanded a slower approach to Dr. Letherens vision treatment. In fact, she has withdrawn services from me for this slow progress - via EMAIL. And her further unprofessionalism shined through when she failed to refer me on to another optometrist who would care for me. She may be knowledgeable about her field and about brain injuries, but her rapid-fire communication style left me struggling to keep up with her explanations. Furthermore, Dr. Letheren made several recommendations far beyond her scope of practice and when I asked for assistance with a referral she recomnended, she told me she could not help me. I did my part as the patient: I explained symptoms, aimed to understand my condition, followed the doctor's recommendations, communicated concerns with the office and was punctual in attending appointments. Dr. Letheren did not fulfill her part and in my opinion, she has put my recovery at risk of further delay (I had to wait 5 months for an assessment!) for I surely need vision treatment. I'm left having to start over financially and therapeutically with another practitioner, perhaps having to endure another long wait list. I've never rated a doctor before and truly hope this message reaches those who are considering her services.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

One of the best optometrists in London. After quickly assessing that I had a torn retina arrangements were made to see an opthamologist within an hour.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2018

Dr Letheren is the one that has taken me seriously, she sent me for tests to the local hospital and is finding whats going on. Couldn't ask for a better optometrist then her. :)

flag | Submitted February 12, 2018

We had a very negative experience here. When assessing my 6 year old grandson, she ran in, sat him down and began testing him without even taking 10 seconds to explain to him what she was doing or why. She appeared very rushed. Her manner was unfriendly, and didn't seem to care to reassure him. She also made a lot of assumptions about problems he would have at school, none of which are accurate. It would have been helpful if she had taken the time to ask, so that she could offer a professional opinion based on facts, not assumptions.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2017

Dr. Letheren and her team were amazing when i went in after my severe concussion! Very knowledgeable and lots of questions that were unanswered from other healthcare professionals we're finally answered!

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

I am so pleased that Dr. Letheren was recommended to me by a worker on the Stroke Rehab team....she has diagnosed several things wrong with my eyes after I experienced a stroke like episode that the heart and stroke doctors are not sure whether I had one or not....they have put me in a 'grey zone' but feel they should treat me for both a stroke and a heart attack!! Dr. Letheren and her staff have treated me with excellence and great care !!! She has been able to give me exercises and special glasses and lots of info that are all helping me recover in a positive way!! I don't know what I would have done without her....thanks sooooo much Dr. Letheren and staff...with much appreciation!!

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

I visited their office in March and received an estimate for lenses. With frames, it was $475. I went back today, July 7th to get new glasses, and was told that the lenses alone were over $600. The thing is that I had the price they gave me written on the script (they noted it.) I was told that was a mistake. I took my script and went elsewhere. I got 2 pairs of glasses for 525, same script, digitally cut lenses. Makes one wonder what kind of mark up are they charging.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

Dr. Letheren is very knowledgable. However, it has been 2.5 months since my assessment, and the paperwork has not yet been filled out for my prescription and specialty glasses. I have called and emailed, and the staff (who takes several days to get back to me) has given me poor excuses, including 1) misplaced paperwork 2) Dr. Letheren is busy. I have asked when the paperwork will be done and I cannot get an answer to my question. My assessment was a specialty assessment, and cost several hundred dollars. I am very disappointed with the service provided.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2014