Ratings for Dr. Ali Zentner

I’ve been seeing Dr. Zentner for 5 Years, I find her to be very encouraging, she does get right to the point and she doesn’t mince words but she also has over a year long wait list and doesn’t have an hour to chat with every patient. The nurses and the staff are all excellent and very encouraging as well.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2018

I had several visits with Dr Zentner over a year ago. I found her manner to be very peculiar and particularly considering she is a licenced physician in the province of British Columbia. Her mercurial mood swings coupled with her outrageous arrogance and rudeness to patients & her staff causes me to wonder if she suffers from an untreated mental illness like bi-polarity. I have been unhappily over-weight since birth. Weight loss has always been a challenge no matter how hard I try to exercise and eat less. I am now 57. As a teenager, my desire to weigh a normal weight led me to become a starver-binger-purger for 4 years. Nasty. I have had a lot of counselling for the disorder and consider myself recovered from that ailment for over 36 years but I still struggle with keeping my weight in a normal range. Feeling desperate, I asked a physician to help me and was given a very positive review of Dr. Zentner's success rate in her weight loss clinic. I was very excited but pretty fragile (depression) when I started seeing her and told her so. I told her all about my former eating disorder and explained that my metabolism seemed to be very slow. I don't think she listened to word that I said or read a word that I wrote in my questionnaire. The first appointment went ok but every subsequent appointment, she became more and more abusive because, despite following her regime (which is really just using the drugs she loves handing out and eating low carb) I did not lose weight the way she thought that I should although I was quite pleased with my 10 pound loss over 6 months. On what I decided to be our final appointment, she told me that I wasn't trying very hard and that there many other deserving people who could benefit from her program who would try harder than me. She went on and on complete with rude facial expressions. I left her office reeling in shock from her hurtful, belittling scolding. I was very upset and felt totally disrespected. I spent a month thinking about having to return to see her again but I just could not subject my self esteem to her bizarre wrath again so I cancelled my appointment and will never return to her and I do not recommend her. NO ONE deserves to be spoken to in the manner that she speaks to people. I am not sure who she thinks she is but her lofty opinion of herself does match her actions or her visual for that matter. Her style of dressing is totally inappropriate for the workplace and her body type. Her bedside manner is simply mean. A year later, I just feel sorry for her because I realize that she just an angry woman who takes it out on everyone around. She is pathetic.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2017

My husband and I visited the nutritionist and Dr Zentner yesterday. I was a little anxious prior to arriving. Both the nutritionist and Dr. Zentner are very professional and had me at ease immediately. Yes, Dr. Zentner's attire may not be mainstream but I'm seeing her regarding weight loss, not to judge her fashion. She was very warm and friendly and at one point, her sincere warmth and understanding regarding my excitement nearly had me in tears.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2017

Dr. Z is the best doctor i have ever had. Helped me through some of the toughest days of my life!

flag | Submitted December 1, 2017

I recently had the pleasure of meeting with Dr. Zentner and her team. Unfortunately her waiting list was long and I was feeling extremely anxious about the meeting as I had read the reviews on this site and was terrified I would be made to feel badly about my weight problem. To my great surprise, this was not the case. She quickly made me feel at ease, her staff seemed genuinely happy to work in the clinic (which I always think is a great sign.) The clinic is beautiful and has obviously had a lot of thought into its design in order to make those that have struggled with their weight feel comfortable (high ceilings, large sturdy chairs, blood pressure cuffs which actually fit etc). She was very encouraging and presented me with all the science behind the fact that obesity is a disease and then proceeded to tell me all the treatment options currently available without pressuring me into making a decision during the first apppintment.... I am very much looking forward to my next appointment and am feeling a sense of hope and encouragement for the first time in a long time!

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

Arrogant. Rude. Narcissist. Downright Abusive. The only thing I was impressed with was how swanky her office is; she's obviously raking in the dollars at the expense of her vulnerable patients. I wasn't, however, impressed by her swanky clothes; the platform shoes she was wearing were so ridiculously high that she could barely walk in them, and this was my first impression of her, as I watched her slowly shuffle herself into her office. She asked me who referred me, and when I told her the name of my psychiatrist, her reply was "those b**ches are getting a **cking huge commission off me". Huh?? First of all, that makes no sense, and secondly, any respect for her I had left went down the tube when her first sentence to me included an f-bomb (and an insult to my doctor whom I love). Her nurse (who was present during the whole meeting) was lovely, but I felt that Zentner was treating her like her side-kick comedian on the Tonight Show, and was putting on a comedy routine for me, none of which I found funny. I told her about my years of experience with food addiction, time in Overeaters Anonymous etc, and she immediately slammed the door shut on that, telling me that there was no such thing as food addiction and I had been brainwashed. Brainwashed? That's a little strong, don't you think? Condescending for sure. Something tells me she's the one doing the brainwashing. I told her that I believed my eating was an emotional issue, and I wanted to learn to be okay alone in stillness with my thoughts without leaning on food to numb me. She said "nobody should be alone with their thoughts". What? How unhealthy is that? Instead, she gave me Victoza which apparently would allow me to eat all the foods that I've never been able to control (update: it was useless except for draining my bank account at $400+ a month). Zentner (I'm omitting the prefix Dr. because I don't think she deserves it), then went into a slimy schpiel about how I seem very confident and smart; it felt dirty, like she was buttering me up like used car salesman would. Something was so off about this woman. I told her about a small privately owned addictions program I had been to, and was surprised that she had heard of it. Her reply was "I've been an expert in this field for over 20 years; of course I've heard of it". I later learned that the owner of this addictions program (and my friend) herself lost almost 200 lbs naturally, and having maintained it for many years, sent Zentner a letter recently telling her of her journey and wondered if somehow they might like to collaborate. My friend told me her reply read "Good for you. All the best".That's how she knew about it. If Zentner truly had interest in helping others, I believe she would have wanted to hear more of my friend's journey. On a side note, Zentner herself claims to have lost 175lbs; where are the photos of her online where she weights 350 lbs? I think this too is a lie. In summary, like most other people on this site say, STAY AWAY. I too will be reporting her to the BC College of physicians.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

I have never had such a horrible experience before. This woman is emotionally abusive, conceited and should not be seeing patients. She is very knowledgeable and should be working at university doing research. When I cried because I gained weight instead of losing it, she "so what", when I expressed frustration at being stuck and not losing any weight after six months, she berated me and talked down to me. I true believe she is on the Autism spectrum- she kept saying I seemed angry and my body language told her I was furious. I told her I was hurt, my arms and legs crossed in a self defensive position, my purse placed as a barrier and I was leaning away from her - and I was crying and speaking softly. I've never been treated so badly and feel emotionally bruised. She took great offence to me ask her to soften her tone with me (gave the example of the tough coach vs the compassionate one) and told her that I respond better the gentle approach. She got so offend by that and literally berated me for sharing my feelings. I feel vindicated after reading the other reviews and realize I'm not the only one who has had this type of treatment. I strongly recommend that you think twice before going to see this doctor. She terminated services before setting me with another specialist or creating a transition plan. Again, her ego (which can also be seen in her outrageous fashion sense, let's just say just because you can afford Gucci doesn't mean you should wear it head to toe, plus six inch stilettos to work, money does not buy class) is so massive that she wasn't willing to discuss possible changes to her bedside manner. She simple terminated and threw me out of her practise (not literally just said that it would be best for me to find another doctor). After working with her for a year, I would dread her entrance into the room and wanted to just meet with her nurses who are fabulous. As another person also mentioned, I will be reporting her to the BC College of physicians. She is simply the worst professional I've ever had the misfortune of meeting and very verbally and emotionally abusive.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2017

wow, a horrible experience such that I will be filing a formal complaint with the B.C. college of physicians and Surgeons and I would advise any of you with a similar experience to do the same, otherwise she will continue to practice with disregard.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2017

I'll preface my review by saying that I'm puzzled at the negative reviews listed here. My positive experiences with Dr. Zentner stand in direct contrast to many of the negative reviews. I've visited her more than 5 times over a 6 month period and have a holistic view of her personality and skills. Dr. Zentner is extremely patient and respectful towards me. She always takes the time to hear me out and provides me with detailed assistance. I've never felt rushed in our meetings and always leave optimistically with a plan on how I will continue losing the weight. She goes above and beyond the call of duty and I feel that she truly cares about me. She's also helping me with some of my other medical issues which are semi-rare and usually not treated by most doctors on account of their scarcity. In the instances where she can't directly help me, she refers me to other doctors. Having lost over 150 pounds herself, Dr. Zentner knows more about weight loss than most other doctors. She inherently understands the struggles associated with obesity and wants her patients to succeed in their weight loss journey. But, at the end of the day, Dr. Zentner can only help you if you want to be helped and are willing to put in the effort. It takes a great deal of resources to lose weight because it requires changing fundamental eating and exercising habits. If you are not willing to make the changes, there's little that Dr. Zentner can do. On the other hand, I'm determined about losing weight and Dr. Zentner's help has been invaluable. I've been able to draw upon her knowledge and experiences to avoid making costly mistakes. She has prescribed me a medication (Saxenda) which assists in weight loss, but it's only a tool meant to augment my own efforts--not replace it. I say all of this to emphasize that just visiting her or taking medications will not help you lose weight; you will need to put in the effort and take charge of your own weight loss. There's also little things around the clinic that may not seem like a big deal to most people, but are most appreciated by overweight individuals. For example, the chairs in the clinic are extra large and can comfortable accommodate most overweight individuals. The corridors are quite wide, the blood pressure cuffs are extra wide, and the weighing scale goes up to a high number with railing for extra stability. Additionally, she's always available for communication through email and replies fairly quickly. She's also published a book called "The Weight-Loss Prescription" which is a must read for anybody striving to lose weight. My only frustration is that the wait list to visit her is almost 2 years; if you're on the wait list but want to start losing weight now, I suggest reading the aforementioned book. I heard from another doctor (in no way associated with her) that Dr. Zentner could make a fortune by privately treating patients, but she refuses to do so and only offers services covered by MSP, thereby sacrificing personal financial gain for the greater good. This, in my opinion, is what distinguishes a good doctor from a great one.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

to the health center of west vancouver. did you know that this dumberpeg broad was set in emergency dept. in Lethbridge, Alberta!!!!! i would like to read the referral from Leth. Hospital for this woman. send her back to the reservation province that passed her as a doctor, where she can do less harm to real Canadians!!!!

flag | Submitted August 20, 2017