Ratings for Dr. John Helfer

He changed my life for the better! I will always be very grateful.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

He was extremely overpriced for the short time he spent with me. He was sharp and degrading. Overall, it was a horrible experience. I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2015

Was his patient for three years and have finally had enough! When I spoke with him about my concerns with worsening depression and anxiety under his care his solution is to yell at me. Its hard to get the courage up to speak to with any doctor about this but to be yelled at and be-littled on top made it even worse. He seems iritated and put out he has to spend time seeing you to begin with. One visit will give you instructions on how to take the medication and the next he has no idea what your talking about. I hate to say thsse about any doctor, but it is true. He needs to change is medication or start taking it!

flag | Submitted November 9, 2011

Very poor "bedside manner". This was probably one of the most unhelpfull doctor visits I have had. I ended up not filling the prescription he gave me to treat my depression and am in the market for a new psych.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2011

flag | Submitted September 6, 2011

I had a good experience at Dr. Helfer's office. His assistant was nice and worked with my insurance right away. Dr. Helfer asked me questions about my background and took time to listen to my problems. I received a prescription which I will try and I will see him again in two weeks to make sure it is the right medication.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2011

The worst experience with a physician my wife has ever had, and she's been to a lot of physicians. She felt belittled, ashamed and made fun of after her visit. She was literally sobbing when she called me immediately after wards, and I was shocked when she quoted some of the things he told her, and the way she described how he acted in response to her describing her situation. A doctor is entitled to opinions, but this doctor had absolutely NO compassion in expressing those opinions! We will NOT be returning. And we wouldn't recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2010

I've been taking my 10 year old son in to see Dr. Helfer for the past year and we have seen an incredible change. Dr. Helfer was very understanding of my child's issues and was more than able to help improve his well being. My son seems to be happier than ever before and I give credit to Dr. Helfer for knowing which medications would be the absolute best for him. Dr. Helfer and his staff are very friendly and my son and I look forward to every visit.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2009

I took my seven year old son who has been diagnosed from his pcp with Asberger's syndrome. Dr. Helfer refused to accept this diagnosis and was telling me information that was untrue about Aspies. He then prescribed Abilify to my son, which I gave the benefit of the doubt, after watching my son be zombified for the whole weekend I called his pcp for advice to take him off of the drug. I cancelled my follow up with Dr. Helfer. He didnt interact with my son and barely had anything to say about his condition yet was so quick to say he had bipolar disorder. I wish I would of looked on here before trusting my son's care to this man!

flag | Submitted April 28, 2009

I initially took my 20 year old son to see Dr. Helfer for depression and insominia. The Dr. prescribed Zoloft and Ambien. We went back in and told Dr. Helfer that he was still having some problems sleeping. He added Trazodone and Seroquel. He took him off the Ambien and left him on Zoloft, plus the 2 new prescriptions. He started some unusual behaviors at night - walking around the house and falling and getting hurt. Once he fell down our staircase and hit his head on the wall which dented the wall. Thankfully, my son was OK. I ended up taking him to the ER. the Dr. at ER said he was way too overmedicated and to stop 2 of the medications. He was puzzled that my son could even function during the day. I went in for an appt. with Dr.Helfer and told him what happened to my son and he yelled at me and basically threw me out of his office. I cried my whole way home. Dr. Helfer should be helping people feel better, not worse.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2009