Ratings for Dr. Richard Stern

I had been extremely sick for months waiting to see a gastroenterologist for a year. A friend said Dr Stern did scopes so I asked my dr to refer me to dr stern because I was so sick of being sick and waiting. He did a sigmoidoscopy on me and told me I had proctisis. He gave me medical enemas to insert myself which didn't help. Desperate I asked him if I had a sigmoidoscopy which is just of the lower portion of the bowel shouldn't he give me a full colonoscopy since ulcerative colitis ran in my family. He said no I had proctisis and he knew by my symptoms that I didn't have ulcerative colitis. I gave up and waited for the gastroenterologist who did a colonoscopy and hospitalized me on the spot because I was so sick from ulcerative colitis. Dr Stern should have given me the full colonoscopy once he seen the ulcers in my retum instead he ignored when I said shouldn't I have the rest of my colon examined. Totally disregarded everything I had explained and told me flat out I didn't have ulcerative colitis without ever checking....

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Punctual, but not professional. Was referred for possible Celiac & Dr. Stern took one look at me & said I am overweight so I can't possibly have Celiac. He examined me & said my issues with my digestion, bowel, etc. will go away if I lose 25 lbs. Then he offered to give me a scope & when I asked why he said "then we'll know". I was in and out of his office in about 15 minutes... including the exam. He doesn't seem interested in the patient, doesn't ask questions, just makes snap judgments. Do not recommend this 'doctor'.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

I read previous comments and could not believe the negative comments, I found him very attentive and thorough in his examination. Also with my follow up visit he took the time to answer questions as if I were the only patient he had for the day. Maybe it is the patients attitude that is the problem.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2016

I was shocked at how rude, condescending and dismissive this "doctor" was. Do yourself a favor and avoid at all costs!!

flag | Submitted January 21, 2015

Absolutely the most unprofessional Dr's office i have ever dealt with! Waited weeks for an appointment, and have waited 17 months for a stomach scope. Why the wait? Well the office has changed my appointment date numerous times...Once i called a few days before my scheduled date to ask a question and the secretary informed me that she had moved the date (adding another month and a half) but had forgot to notify me, and if i knew how many appointments she makes then i'd understand that sometimes things get forgotten. I wonder if my boss would be so understanding if i suddenly forgot how to do my job? At this point she only sends me emails....like today, to once again delay my appointment because another patient needs it more than i do..... My initial 5 minute appointment and the subsequent year and a half have been nothing but a waste of time!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2014

I was sent to Dr. Stern after I had my heart attack by Dr. Don Seaman and he looked at me, read my chart and said you are fin, he did not take my pulse, blood pressure, or anything, he was blunt, rude and he knew I worked in the medical field as a paramedic he told me this " you are going back to work and bring a heavy patient in on the stretcher, we see if your heart is ok " I refused to go back to work, lost my insurance, and had another heart attack one month later with 2 stents placed in my heart. wow is all I can say! this man is one of the worse people to ever have the job of looking after people, you and your loved one need to stay as far away from him as you can and doctors need to stop sending patients to him. I only hope that someday he learns the meaning of compassion, trust, and the oath he took, not to do harm..

flag | Submitted August 3, 2012

I read these comments before my visit and was apprehensive about seeing him. I found him to be polite, kind and knowledgeable. I would have no quams about seeing him again.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2011

His sectetary should be given a medal just for being there. I have seen this Dr. on several occasions and not once did I feel that I was being listened to. He is rude to say the least and acts like he is the Lord himself.(NOT) He contradicts himself from one appt to the next. He scoped my bowel once and ignored me when I asked him to stop. He did only after the attending nurse spoke up. In follow up he stated I had a twisted bowel. When I asked him why, I was told some people are tall, some are short and some have a twisted bowel. I can not comment on his knowledge as he has done nothing for me except show his ignorance. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO STAY AWAY FROM HIM !!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2010

He was horrible. I went in for a biopsy for Celiacs. He asked me a few questions, did and exam then told me all my problems were because I was overweight. That celiacs could not be overweight and dismissed my concerns. The appointment may have taken 10 minutes. I was very dissatisfied with his service and feel I was severley discriminated against because I was overweight. ASked me if I knew my problems could be fixed by surgery, meaning Gastric Bypass Surgery, funny since my own doc had never suggested that to me and I had lost 26 lbs since Jan. I was very angry when Ileft his office, would not reccommend to roadkill!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2010

I have Ulcerative Colitis and I went to Dr. Stern for a second opinion on treatment options. Went to two appointments, each lasted under 5 minutes as he rushed me out and dismissed concerns I had with "it must just be because of your job" (I worked as a shipping/receiving manager). In both appointments, he didn't touch me once or even asked about weight changes or anything else that would normally be asked. I also believe that he has been accused of malpractice numerous times by other patients and he should not be practicing medicine. On top of that all, he's also exceedingly rude and unpleasant to deal with as a person. Bedside manner? Not in his office.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2010