Ratings for Dr. Mark Guttman

One of the top movement disorder neurologists in the country, if not North America. Extraordinarily sophisticated knowledge of disease/medication calibrations resulting in long-term quality of life for patients. Shortly after my husband's diagnosis with Parkinson's 16 years ago, Dr. Guttman was referred to us by a Mayo Clinic neurologist since we were returning to Canada. Throughout extraordinarily difficult and complicated circumstances, Dr. Guttman and his staff have provided unwavering support and expertise when others would have walked away. I cannot express enough appreciation and respect for this man's expertise and commitment to the health and well being of his patients.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2017

Kind and caring, humorous, excellent relaxed treatment of an older individual . Grateful to have him attent to my husband, who is 87 years of age and an amputee.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2017

Dr Guttman is a very good neurologist. He offers options for expanding treatment for my husband's Parkinsons. He emphasizes the importance of lifestyle measures such as sleep, and regular exercise. This is what has proven benefit to improve Parkinsons. He listens to medication side effects to help modify the regimen. He listens to my concerns about my husband's nonmotor symptoms. We are happy with our '60 minutes total' a year, since my husband is seen three times a year, and that is twice more than most centres that I've heard of, both in Ontario and in British Columbia, and the appointments never seem rushed. He offers OTN appointments as well, we prefer the office appointments, but I know people who see him by OTN, and are very happy with the appointments by that method, and to avoid driving to Toronto.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2017

Someone down below said that he's talented by arrogant, and I would agree with that assessment. The one thing it's crucial for a neurologist to get right with an advanced Parkinson's patient is the optimal level of medication, so it was quite frustrating to have concerns that he was under-medicating my mother and have him be so dismissive. It was terribly awkward and exhausting to have to persist at trying to find creative ways to voice my concerns so that they would finally be heard. Eventually he agreed to let us try a bit higher dosage, however 6 months later when we wound up in the emergency room due to the advanced stage of my mom's Parkinson's, two of the doctors we met with including one neurologist were shocked she was on such a low dosage and felt she was under-medicated. Still! That's after I had worked so hard to get Guttman to agree to not lower mom's medication as much as he wanted to. I think what Guttman excels at most is self-promotion and getting people to believe he's special. However, I found his listening skills to be below average due to his arrogance. And listening's important when he only sees his patients for about 60 minutes total a year, and patient caregivers are with the person the other 24/7/365 hours/days of the year. In all fairness, he seemed perfectly fine until stage 5 when treatment probably gets more complicated. And we have no experience with other treating neurologists to know how he compares with his peer group.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

He accepts patients only if their situation is interesting enough for him! Was referred to Dr Guttman by family doctor since he was accepting new patients. After over a month and after a few follow up, finally I was told that Doctor Guttman had reviewed the file and he did not accept the patient.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2016

Have been a patient of Dr. Guttman; for approx. 15 years and consider that I have received the best of care and benefit from his knowledge. After all this time under his care, I still do not require assistance with personal hygiene, do not use a walker and only occasionally use a cane. He recently referred me to the DBS clinic at Toronto Western Hospital and it is very likely that I will be accepted for the DBS procedure.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2016

We consider ourselves very fortunate to have Dr Guttman guiding my husband through life with Parkinson's. He came highly recommended through a coworker and even a physician in the US . Fabulous demeanour, brilliant and devoted to his medical field. Consider him a leader!

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr Guttman for 17 years, having been diagnosed an early onset patient at age 45. Dr Guttman came highly recommended and I entirely am in agreement - he is respected within the medical community (my own family doctor sees him for PD as well.). He has a relaxed, warm, and calming demeanor and has always answered my many questions. I am lucky to be a patient of Dr Guttman>

flag | Submitted July 1, 2013

We had a lengthy experience with Dr. Guttman. He was always, thorough, informative, giving all the time necesary for questions and answers. My husband looked forward to his visits for regular follow-ups as his movement disorder progressed. Dr. Guttman has a kind, gentle manner. We were pleased to find him to be on time as we had to travel a distance for visits

flag | Submitted April 13, 2013

Dr Guttman is an excellent movement disorder specialist. However, he rushes with appointments and was unwilling to sign off on disability insurance papers for my husband. We finally had to have our family doctor sign these papers. The contributing evidence was Dr guttman's transcripts where he had admitted my husbands disability and our insurance claim was paid in short order. If he had signed the paperwork when we first presented it to him, we would have collected an additional $200,000 in payout and saved over $10000 in premiums. We have since changed doctors and are very happy we have done so. He is talented but arrogant.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2012