Ratings for Dr. Hemen Shukla

Dr. S has been taking care of Mom for years. Friendly, helpful and patient.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2017

Oh boy, where to start. Almost every time I get a test done, his office doesn't receive results. When I cancelled my MRI after having his office rebook it elsewhere (the MRI wait at WCH is FOUR MONTHS , whereas Markham Stouffville is ONE WEEK!) I got a call from his office to remind me of the cancelled MRI, and had to tell them that they had cancelled it. This doctor is only in his office 1-2 times a week so it's appointment booking is super inconvenient, and even when I go in, I normally see another doctor and spend more time with them than I do with him. Last time I didn't see him at all... until I walked out of the exam room that is. He accosted me in the hallway saying it was good to "watch me on the screen" while I was seen by a resident... I must have seemed confused because he invited me back into the exam room to show me the camera on the wall, saying it's a bit "big brother". It wasn't the first time he told me about the cameras. This guy is more interested his exam room cameras than helping his patients. I wondered if he just sits in some office somewhere eating popcorn and watching his patients on a screen all day. Three times his residents have asked me to change into a gown for an examination and when he came in, he decided I didn't need the exam after all, so I had undressed and donned a gown unnecessarily each time. The topper, though, was when he gave me a bloodwork requisition form and told me to get it done onsite at the lab right away. I went straight to the lab but the technician said she couldn't proceed with the tests -- that I needed to fast 12 hours for the specific tests he ordered. I had to go back to the office and have him initial the form so they could proceed without the fasting. His office was closed for lunch (nothing at the reception nor on the voicemail about lunchtime closures, so I had to walk down the hallway and accost him myself to initial the form). I don't go to the doctor often (thankfully) but every time I do, I am floored by the experience. Weird, disorganized and lackadaisical are the only ways I can describe the experiences there.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2016

It took a medical emergency for me to finally admit that Dr Shukla is a negligent family doctor. After going in for what Dr Shukla chalked up to indigestion or maybe a kidney stone, I returned home in pain. I returned with the same pain a few weeks later and saw an intern who suggested I be tested for an ulcer. I asked to be tested, and was tested at the beginning of January. 3 weeks later I was called with my test results which they said were all negative. I specifically asked about the ulcer test and they said negative. I was on my way for an extended trip out of the country and left with no medication, however I did have a working cell phone which I received no follow up calls. I experienced excruciating pain through most of the trip. The first week of April I got a call saying that I was to come in for a follow up appointment that was not urgent. After scheduling the next possible appointment with Dr Shukla, which was 5 days later as this was the only day he was in, I was told by Dr Shukla that another doctor would be handling my test results. This stranger informed me that I had an ulcer test come back positive in Feb but somehow they had failed to give me the info. No other explanation, no apology, no information. This review is specifically in regards to Dr Shuklas practice at Women's College Hospital which seems to be low priority for him. Over the past few years I have come to see Dr. Shukla with a variety of stomach related problems. On my first visit he suggested I had perhaps strained a muscle, or maybe indigestion. It continually took repeat visits and complaints to ever have my health issues taken seriously. It was always me fighting to be heard, sern and treated with care and patience. nothing seemed like a big deal to Dr Shukla, most visits resulted in me feeling helpless and that having my body be in pain was somewhat normal. He works such limited hours and even when he is on staff at WCH he often passes you on to a nurse or intern, making him in no way suitable as a dependable family doctor as you are getting the exact same service as a walk in clinic minus the wait times. I highly caution you to trust Dr Shukla as your family doctor. Don't let your willingness to just want to get along compromise your health the way I did.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

He really knows what he is doing. Whenever I have s sports med problem I see him and he knows exactly what the problem is as how to fix it. He is also very easy to talk to and always has a smile on his face.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2013

Dr Shukla is my family doctor. Although he often does not know exactly how to treat the problems that I have, he always listens and tries to find a specialist who will be able to help me. He is warm and inviting, pleasant and thoughtful. I have turned to him over issues I have never felt comfortable discussing with any doctor, and this in turn has saved my life. Great secretary as well!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2013

The best sports medicine MD I have seen. I am 50 years old and aggressively pursue my sports which include skiing, rock climbing, biking and running. I have had many injuries and seen many doctors (had ACL repair adn more) in several countries and Dr. Shukla is the one I return to time and time again. He has never let me down in any way. Highly recommended

flag | Submitted November 26, 2012

I was not pleased with his care free attitude. I understand that physicians see thousands of patients a year, but is it too much to ask to hold your attention for a 5 minute assessment? His initial investigation involved two knee exams from which he determined that I just needed to ice my knee. I was not informed about how long I should rest, and when I could return to sports. Before I could ask any further questions, he told me to follow up with him if it was still hurting.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2012

Bedside manner = zero. This doctor went over my x ray results with me in a public hallway which I found unprofessional and in breach of confidentiality. When further discussing the results with me, he was unnecessarily alarmist, did not provide a contextual interpretation (that 30% of the population show some kind of degenerative disc in imaging) or useful information about treatment options. He did not leave me with a positive outlook that I could ever improve. As a result, I left his office feeling scared and in a panic. Since then I have met with other healthcare professionals that were able to provide me with positive treatment options that have greatly benefitted me!

flag | Submitted October 15, 2012

He's a fantastic doctor, takes the time to listen and is very knowledgable. He's an excellent sports medicin physician and family doctor.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2012