Ratings for Dr. Charles Secretan

This orthopedist needs to be stopped from further surgeries. I am in pain since nearly a year after he replaced my right hip. He left the right leg 1 inch longer than my left leg resulting in a shift of my skeleton. He did not suggest any measures to improve the situation but blamed the previous surgeon of my first (and perfect) left hip replacement that he left the left leg too long. According to my today's orthopedist this is nonsense just to protect his medical maltreatment. My new orthopedist told me that I have to undergo a further corrective surgery to fix the mistakes of Secretan. Don't trust him; he is indeed a "joke" (quote other reviews) but unfortunately with fatal consequences.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

This Doctor is AWFUL !! He told my father that he would have him in to check out what hip parts my father had installed during the last replacement ... so the he wouldn't be opened up and find out that the wrong parts were ordered. When my father was opened up - the WRONG parts had been ordered. The delay cost my father a heart attack, and the the nurses dropped my father and ruined his good leg, and my father hasn't walked since ... 2 1/2 years! Taking Secretan to court only made him hide behind his insurance company . He is a COWARD and a Joke of a man. He should be ashamed of himself. Most amazing is that the records from my fathers' previous hip replacement were in the same hospital of the most recent surgery. Secretans' excuse was that he had only been a surgeon for 15 years and dad's previous surgery was 20 years prior. Terrible and Unprofessional. Pray that you and yours don't get treated by this hack!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

Dr. Secretan has been awesome help since the first day I broke my leg. I was worried about the scar over my new tattoo and he lined it up beautifully and for it being my first break there's not much pain it's only been 3 weeks since the initial break and surgery had 3 casts and now in an aircast which feels weird but does the trick for not twisting my leg. He has a good sense of humour when I was paranoid about not being able to walk right and now I'm waiting for the day I can walk without crutches anymore still have two months to go that I know of but it's not too bad. He is an amazing surgeon.. I appreciate how he made me feel through this process.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

This guy is a joke!!! Was great at first knew all the right things to say. I let him cut into me and I'm worse off than before and now I need a lawyer.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

Not sure what to say. My daughter broke her medial epicondial 6 weeks ago. Took her to emergency and they did an x-Ray. He looked at it over his email and said to half cast it. The nurse was amazing and totally took her fears away. Saw Dr. Secret an two weeks later and he put a full cast on but said there was no hangs to the break. Two weeks later they removed the full cast already and did another x-Ray, still no change in the break. He said no tensor and no physio necessary. When I asked when she could go back to gymnastics he said maybe in a few weeks. He didn't even want to see her for a follow up. Now her elbow is till extremely swollen and painful and she can't straighten it at all. I'm very concerned that she may never return to gymnastics and continue a sport she is very passionate about. I even told him she was an athlete and needed full use of her elbow. He was not very compassionate and made us feel like we waisted his time. Not sure what to do now!!!

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

I am a 59 yearoldretired nurse. I have suffered with arthritis for 10 years as I was not looking forward to having this surgery. Dr. secret an was wonderful and put all my fears and worries to rest. He was easy to talk to and listened to everything I had to say. I saw him regularly while in hospital and have nothing but respect for his skills and ability. 13 days post op and I am walking with 1 crutch for security more than a need.....impressed is all I can say.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015

My lower leg was a mess after I broke it into pieces skiing last Feb. 1014. My fibula was broken, my tibia plateau had 7 to 9 fractures, and my tibia was broken in 2 places with a spiral fracture. I received immediate surgery with a 25+ cm plate and 15 pins and screws. The tibia plateau healed but the a non-union of the spiral break became evident. I was referred to Dr. Secretan and 7 months later, he removed the plate, pins, and screws, then ground down the callous matter that had developed over the non-union portions of the spiral fracture, realigned another piece of my tibia that had broken away, and installed a bigger plate (35-cms) with 11 pins and bolts. The surgery went very well - Dr. Secretan worked his magic, the nurses were excellent, and for the first time after surgery I did not throw up because the anesthesiologist was sensitive to my needs. Dr. Secretan was creative with the surgical process and even made adjustments part-way through the surgery that would benefit me in the long run. He is professional, knowledgeable, creative with reconstruction, and has excellent bed-side manner. I am happy I can walk again and I highly recommend him to anyone. His staff are also helpful.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

This was the first time and the first time a doctor explained the procedure thoroughly to me and what I was to expect. Just walking me to the operating room and introducing me to the staff there gave me a feeling of confidence. Meeting another patient who had a total hip replacement like myself on the same day (hers was in Vancouver because she said it was better?). Well the difference between the two of us was one month later she still had a walker and cane and I did not? I like that he gets his patients moving as quick as they can. Great Doctor

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

I recently had total hip replacement surgery with Dr. Secreten. I had heard nothing but very positive comments (from many people, health care workers, etc)about Dr. Secreten's ability and that was very comforting to me. I could certainly tell that he is highly regarded and respected. I had the opportunity to meet with him right before the surgery to ask any questions, and he met with me shortly after the surgery, as well as when I was discharged from the hospital. I then met with him again two weeks' later for follow-up, and have another follow-up appointment with him in a month. He has always been very accessible and his bedside manner is excellent and he is always very pleasant. I received very good care from him, his staff, and the staff at the Vernon hospital before, during, and after the procedure and am well on my way to recovery having had very little pain or discomfort. I consider myself lucky to have been hooked up with a doctor/surgeon of this calibre.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2014

He pays no attention to his patients, does not believe them when they are in pain, and does not put genuine care into helping solve the issue. His goal is to get you out of there as fast as possible, whether your needs have been met or not.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2014