Ratings for Dr. Charles Secretan

I was severely injured by a drunk guest at Vernon's Funtastic's event June 2014. I was immobilized in the ER after laying on the grounds at the event for an hour waiting for help and in horrifying pain. Once seen in the ER was informed I required emergency surgery to deal with 2 out of 3 of my fractures. Dr. Secretan was on call and it took 48 hours before he was able to operate and until then I was managed with drugs with no food or water. Dr. Secretan completed the initial surgery and then 7 months later removed the hardware from my left side and kept the other hardware in on my right tibia side of the ankle. I had not regained mobility in my ankle and appeared to be disabled. Dr. Secretan informed me I was As Good As It Gets and discharged me. I walked on my ankle for several more months unsuccessfully until I decided I was not going to accept his diagnosis and did some research on the net to find the BC Foot and Ankle Clinic at St.Paul's hospital in Vancouver. I requested my family doctor to refer me and I waited for 8 months to be seen in the FAST clinic. Tests began and I received an initial diagnoses that if I had to wait another 2 years for help my ankle/foot would be completely done. I was referred very quickly and seen within a week by one of the top surgeons at this clinic . I was given a Bone and CT scan and a MRI. When I went in for my MRI results I was instructed to stay in the area to allow the surgeon to operate on me the next day because low and behold, Dr. Secretan had screwed my good tibia tendon to my tibia at the site of the break. My tibia tendon was seriously damaged both on the inside and outside. I continue to work with the hospital on the coast as I still have other issues and from where I am three years later I am still disabled with limited mobility and potential damaging still occurring to my ankle. So thanks Dr. Secretan for your very educated diagnosis of " I AM AS GOOD AS IT GETS!! People listen to your intuition, if something doesn't feel right, pursue it to the end, don't ever give up and do not assume that Dr. Secretan is god and knows all. If he tells you, you are as good as it gets, run the other way and get a second or third opinion. He may be good at times, but he is not good all the time. He failed me big time and now I am suffering not only from the actions of a drunk at Funtastic's but also by a doctor who added to my injury instead of repairing it fully.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

Smashed my tibia plateau due to a skiing accident at Revelstoke, less than 48 hours out for a return flight to Ontario. Revelstoke Hospital Doctors highly encouraged me to have the surgery at Vernon Jubilee Hospital, especially considering that Dr Secretan was on duty and my leg had become severely swollen. Dr. Secretan performed the surgery that same day. I found him to be very knowledgeable and professional. Swelling and pain greatly reduced during my two night stay at Vernon Hospital, and I got on the planes back to Ontario safely. My Orthopedic doctor in Ontario is also a great admirer of Dr. Secretan's work. Also the nursing staff at Vernon Jubilee Hospital get top marks !!!

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

Replaced both of my hips with outstanding results. Great office staff and exceptional in hospital care. He also saw me several times after the surgery to help m through the recovery process.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2016

Best surgeon I have ever worked with. Punctual, great bedside manner and great result. Thanks.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2016

This orthopedist needs to be stopped from further surgeries. I am in pain since nearly a year after he replaced my right hip. He left the right leg 1 inch longer than my left leg resulting in a shift of my skeleton. He did not suggest any measures to improve the situation but blamed the previous surgeon of my first (and perfect) left hip replacement that he left the left leg too long. According to my today's orthopedist this is nonsense just to protect his medical maltreatment. My new orthopedist told me that I have to undergo a further corrective surgery to fix the mistakes of Secretan. Don't trust him; he is indeed a "joke" (quote other reviews) but unfortunately with fatal consequences.

Submitted September 12, 2016

This Doctor is AWFUL !! He told my father that he would have him in to check out what hip parts my father had installed during the last replacement ... so the he wouldn't be opened up and find out that the wrong parts were ordered. When my father was opened up - the WRONG parts had been ordered. The delay cost my father a heart attack, and the the nurses dropped my father and ruined his good leg, and my father hasn't walked since ... 2 1/2 years! Taking Secretan to court only made him hide behind his insurance company . He is a COWARD and a Joke of a man. He should be ashamed of himself. Most amazing is that the records from my fathers' previous hip replacement were in the same hospital of the most recent surgery. Secretans' excuse was that he had only been a surgeon for 15 years and dad's previous surgery was 20 years prior. Terrible and Unprofessional. Pray that you and yours don't get treated by this hack!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2016

Dr. Secretan has been awesome help since the first day I broke my leg. I was worried about the scar over my new tattoo and he lined it up beautifully and for it being my first break there's not much pain it's only been 3 weeks since the initial break and surgery had 3 casts and now in an aircast which feels weird but does the trick for not twisting my leg. He has a good sense of humour when I was paranoid about not being able to walk right and now I'm waiting for the day I can walk without crutches anymore still have two months to go that I know of but it's not too bad. He is an amazing surgeon.. I appreciate how he made me feel through this process.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2016

This guy is a joke!!! Was great at first knew all the right things to say. I let him cut into me and I'm worse off than before and now I need a lawyer.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

Not sure what to say. My daughter broke her medial epicondial 6 weeks ago. Took her to emergency and they did an x-Ray. He looked at it over his email and said to half cast it. The nurse was amazing and totally took her fears away. Saw Dr. Secret an two weeks later and he put a full cast on but said there was no hangs to the break. Two weeks later they removed the full cast already and did another x-Ray, still no change in the break. He said no tensor and no physio necessary. When I asked when she could go back to gymnastics he said maybe in a few weeks. He didn't even want to see her for a follow up. Now her elbow is till extremely swollen and painful and she can't straighten it at all. I'm very concerned that she may never return to gymnastics and continue a sport she is very passionate about. I even told him she was an athlete and needed full use of her elbow. He was not very compassionate and made us feel like we waisted his time. Not sure what to do now!!!

flag | Submitted November 16, 2015

I am a 59 yearoldretired nurse. I have suffered with arthritis for 10 years as I was not looking forward to having this surgery. Dr. secret an was wonderful and put all my fears and worries to rest. He was easy to talk to and listened to everything I had to say. I saw him regularly while in hospital and have nothing but respect for his skills and ability. 13 days post op and I am walking with 1 crutch for security more than a need.....impressed is all I can say.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015