Ratings for Dr. Eric Leith

I saw Dr. Leith at Women's College Hospital. I waited about 15 minutes past my appointment time, which was reasonable. He was pleasant, warm and friendly to both my partner and I (no hint of homophobia whatsoever) and spent a few minutes getting to know each of us. He asked what we each did for a living, where we lived, the standard chitchat. He then focused on my allergy symptoms in depth asking many questions and then asked if I was prepared for a scratch test, which I was. We even had a few laughs when I was describing how I manage my chronic watering eyes by taping tissues to my glasses to catch the tears! Unfortunately no one had advised me that I should have stopped taking all allergy medication 1 week prior to the appointment, so my test results were compromised and I have to return in a few months to repeat the scratch test. This is not Dr. Leith's fault, but the allergy clinic should really inform new patients of two things. 1. They will be given a scratch test at the first appointment and 2. If they are on anti-histamines regularly to STOP taking them 1 week prior to the appointment. Based on my explanation of a mild anaphylactic reaction to a certain food a few years ago, he strongly suggested I carry and Epi Pen and wrote me a script for them and then ensured I knew how to use it (I did due to work) but still did a demonstration and then had me try it myself just to be sure I was comfortable. He also made sure my partner paid attention should she have to administer the injection if I was unable to. When I was disappointed by the scratch test results, especially considering the results from my last panel from years ago and how different today was, he explained that this year many people are suffering more than usual from terrible seasonal allergies and that you can have negative scratch tests but still suffer from allergy symptoms as they do not test for everything. He was very pleasant. I even asked why he did his own scratch testing as previous doctors have had a nurse do it and he said he preferred to do it because it gave him more time to get to know his patients and hear about their life and their concerns. At no point was he rude or dismissive or condescending. He actually asked me if I was okay for prescriptions for the allergy meds I have been using and offered to write more, but I was fine for refills. That was a surprise as my experience with most specialists is they refuse to write scripts and tell you to go back to your GP for refills. I was actually pleasantly surprised by his friendly demeanour and remarked to my partner what a relief it was to see someone so friendly and human. I did not know who I was seeing until I got to the hospital as it is a clinic, and I'm glad for that because if I had seen these ratings I would have gone in with the expectation of him being terrible. Our interaction with him was perfectly fine and he even agreed with me that the clinic staff should add a line to the email/fax referral confirmation about stopping the anti-histamines a week before the appointment. I look forward to my next visit with him and hopefully he will be the same as he was today. I am honestly shocked at some of these ratings and how terrible they are. No, he did not pay me to write this nor am I related to him. The only thing I did was treat him with respect and kindness, listen when he spoke, and did not plow him over while he was talking with interruptions or my own diagnosis from Dr. Google. I just waited for him to ask me questions and then respectfully answered them as best I could. Pretty standard stuff! I actually came onto the site tonight to leave him a positive rating because it is so rare that I have such a positive medical encounter in this city these days. I cannot comment on his behaviour at other locations, I will only be seeing him at Women's College Hospital. There were no fees associated with my appointment and he mentioned that with my drug coverage he was certain the Epi Pens would be covered. The receptionist was kind and competent and the entire experience was perfectly amicable. If you are scheduled to see him, maybe take these ratings with a grain of salt because he is certainly capable of being professional, kind and friendly. Having a doctor ask about your profession, your family life, your interests, etc.... should not be viewed as them prying or being nosy and I cannot believe people are so suspicious and jaded in this world that they criticize a doctor for just trying to develop rapport with their patient. That is exactly what they are trained to do in medical school! Sometimes we need to look at our own behaviour and how we interact with people before quickly assuming the other person is the problem. I've overheard plenty of rude conversations by patients who are demanding their doctor do what they want after they have come in informing them of their diagnosis based on their Googling skills which is pretty disrespectful in my book.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2017

I was worried after reading all of the reviews on here of him being rude, but honestly I didn't mind him at all. He's was very punctual and got to the point and it is clear that the man knows what he is talking about. If you are looking for a doctor to hold your hand and listen to your life story this isn't the guy, but he gave me the answers and the help I needed and I'm satisfied.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2017

I was referred to Leith (won't give the respect of 'Dr') and he was rude, uninterested, blunt and lacking in any social graces whatsoever. He was more interested in what my profession was after giving me an elevator look and sizing me up. Long story short, zero follow-up from his office, they do not return calls and I was left wondering how people like this can run a 'practice' and hold themselves out to the public as 'professionals'. Nothing could be further from the truth.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

After reading reviews I was so nervous about driving 4 hours to see him. I got there and it was nothing like the reviews. He was very pleasant answered all my questions and listened to every word I said. His receptionist was also very pleasant! He is a very knowledgable doctor and did not leave a stone unturned. I would recommend dr leith to anyone

flag | Submitted February 11, 2017

Terrible dr don't go he talks down to u poor listener Should have read ratings before I went Insulting made to feel intimidated Bad experience

flag | Submitted February 10, 2017

Unbelievably poor interpersonal skills. Perhaps my nastiest interaction with a physician ever. I was shocked by his comments - very unprofessional.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

My experience matched many of the other negative experiences with this doctor. He was incredibly dismissive, arrogant, rude, and patronizing. Interrupted me when I asked question. Repeatedly quoted "guidelines" as opposed to actually discussing my case. Inquired about my job history and education in order to insult me and tell me that "I should know better". Doctors like this should not be allowed to practice.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016

Waste of time going to see this man who evidently does not enjoy his work. I found this doctor cold and dismissive,had to wait 2 hours to see him !!!terrible bedside maner.I should have read the reviews before seing him

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

There was a planned move for this practice and my appointment was scheduled at the new building. The move did not occur as planned but they failed to notify me. I attended my appointment at the new building only to learn I had to drive across town, during rush hour to attend the old office. A follow up was scheduled, which I attended only to find the lights off and the door locked. I called from the lobby and left several messages. I waited half and hour but no one showed up. So on 2 occasions they failed to notify me of a change with my appointment. I will not go back to him. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016

I left with more questions and confusion in my head than I entered with. He seemed uninterested in doing his actual job: helping diagnose allergies. I never got a concrete answer and instead made me feel bad for being inquisitive and trying to get answers, because he wasn't giving them to me himself so I was trying to ask questions to get information. All I left with was photo copies of some allergy websites that he told me to visit to get answers and "make up your mind because you don't seem to know what you want". I wanted a diagnosis. When I got a skin test on my first visit with him he rushed through what I was reacting to, so I never knew and still don't know for sure what my allergies are and how severe they are. He seemed like he wanted to get me out of there and had to be somewhere. This happened both times I visited him. Would not recommend him to anyone. Find an allergist who respects you and wants to help. He does not speak WITH you, he speaks DOWN to you.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2016