Outstanding Staff Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy

After going through 5 previous doctors - either moved or retired - Dr. Abernathy was a pleasant surprise. He took his time on the 1st visit to get to know me and I was impressed by his manner, knowledge, demeanor.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
This is great feedback! Thank you. I really do try to get to know my patients as a part of my practice philosophy. I believe that the better I know my patients, the more specific and effective I can be in my treatment plans.

Submitted November 21, 2017

Dr. Abernethy took the time to listen and to explain his recommendations my satisfaction . I never felt rushed. I look forward to using him as my primary care physician.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience. What you describe is really what I try to do for all my patients: listen to them, really understand their complaints and issues, and then work with them to put together a clear course of action. It's the kind of thing that takes as long as it takes, and I'm happy to take the time.

Submitted July 27, 2017

Dr. Abernethy is a very knowledgeable and competent physician. He always takes time to answer my questions and address my concerns. He reviews treatment options with me. He fully explains things so that I can understand. He is very prompt in renewing my prescriptions and answering questions that I send him online via the Centura Health website. I have a lot of confidence in him. His staff is very friendly and caring.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you for the positive comments. As I said in my response to your comment on Healthgrades, I fully believe that my patients should understand the diagnosis and recommended course of treatment that we discuss during our visit. I enjoy explaining my clinical thought process and want to make sure that patients are involved in the process of developing their treatment plan.

Submitted February 28, 2017

Been in healthcare for many years. Dr. Abernathey is truly a Dr's doctor

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you for the great feedback! It's wonderful to hear that my approach to medicine is appreciated by my fellow health care professionals.

Submitted February 27, 2017

A life time of RA makes me an informed critic. Dr Abernethy is exceptional in that he works with you to find out whats wrong and than sorts through the options to find the best one for the you. patient. I am working my way through a particular difficult problem and its a good feeling to have a gifted guide to help me out

flag | Submitted January 28, 2017

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you for the kind words! I'm pleased to hear that my staff and I have been of help to you.

Submitted February 1, 2017

Dr. Abernethy take time to make sure you understand your situation fully and does so in plain English. He doesn't tire of my endless questioning even if it means telling me the same thing more than once. His diagnoses have been spot-on, and I feel at ease whenever I see him.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2016

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Happy to hear that you've such a great experience. Thank you for letting me know.

Submitted January 9, 2017

I put my trust and faith in Dr. Abernethy. He took the place of a Doctor that I had for many years. I feel very comfortable with him and his staff is always friendly and caring.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you so much for your comments. I'm glad that I've successfully been able to step into the role of your former long-term provider.

Submitted December 2, 2016

Dr. Abernathy answered all my questions and I never felt rushed. I am very impressed by his professionalism and medical knowledge. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you for your comments. I'm always happy to learn when patients have had a positive experience with me and my staff.

Submitted December 2, 2016

A great experience and Doctor. He took his time and I never felt rushed. He asked pertinent questions and offered options for treatments. I have many different issues that need to be taken into account and really felt like he cared and was treating me as a whole person rather than my individual ailments. I would definitely recommend Dr. Abernethy to friends and family.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you so much for your comments. Treating the whole person is a key part of how I practice.

Submitted December 2, 2016

Dr. Abernathy is an outstanding Doctor. He really takes the time with his patients to understand their conditions, and always has recommendations for treatment that are right on. I have been lucky enough to refer some of my clients to Dr. Abernathy as well and I am always impressed with his ability to get to the cause of the problem. All of the staff, Assistants and Nurses are always so kind when checking you in.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's response
Thank you so much for your comments. We are so happy that you've had a good experience with us.

Dr. Durant Barrett Abernethy's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

I focus on comprehensive management of diabetes in children and adults. As a type 1 diabetic, my personal experiences help me develop individualized treatment plans for patients of different ages, lifestyles, and backgrounds. I specialize in motivational interviewing, nutritional counseling, self-management skills, and coordinating multidisciplinary interventions. I am excited to be living in Summit County and improving our community's health through the High Country Healthcare group.

• English

• University Of Kansas School Of Medicine (Grad. 2009)

• Diabetes