Dr. Roger Cho

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Roger Cho

I have had many years of pain and problems in my spine. My problem started over ten years ago. It started with severe pain in my right leg. My first surgery was a discectomy and I had really terrible low back pain after the surgery. I was sent to another surgeon and had to have a fusion surgery in my back. In total I had 4 surgeries with 3 different surgeons. After each of the surgeries I still had terrible pain. I was taking high doses of narcotics and even had a spine stimulator and morphine pump put in to help with the pain but the pain was still really severe. I asked my family doctor if there was anybody who could help me. I was even willing to go to another province to get another opinion. My family doctor knew Dr. Cho in Calgary and contacted him. Dr. Cho was reluctant to see me at first but my doctor sent him all my medical information and MRIs. Dr. Cho saw what was wrong and agreed to see me. I have seen my fair share of spine surgeons and I have to say Dr. Cho is the most empathetic and patient doctor I have ever encountered. He came across as knowledgeable and experienced. He suspected what the problem was and he ordered tests which confirmed this. Apparently one of the screws from my fusion surgery had caused damage to the facet and was also irritating a nerve. He offered me another surgery to correct my problem but told me very clearly the chance of success would be low because of all the time that has passed. I was told Dr. Cho was one of the first surgeons to do minimally invasive spine surgery in Western Canada. He did my surgery using small incisions. Right after the surgery, I noticed a big change. My left leg pain was gone and my spine felt more stable. It is now over two years since my surgery. I no longer need the spinal stimulator and morphine pump and I am completely off all my pain killers. I am completely pain free and back working full time and enjoying life again. I owe Dr. Cho my life to say the least.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2017

I am so happy that doctor Cho is my surgeon. I want to sincerely thank you for your care . More important, I want to thank you for your kind heart , your attitude and the warmth of your personality. And my totally Trust to your Skills.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

When I first met him, he initially came across as rude. But he warmed up to me at the second visit. Once I had my surgery, everything went smoothly for my recovery in and out of the hospital. I am 3 weeks post op and I was off meds within 2 weeks. Surgical area looks great, even according to multiple medical professionals I have seen since. Could not be happier with the results. I would trust him again 😃

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

Dr. Cho did my husband's spine surgery earlier this year. I cannot say enough about Dr. Cho! he saved my husband from years of pain. He was attentive and checked in on his regularly while he was in Foothills. We owe Dr. Cho so much for getting my husband back to his normal life. He's brilliant.

flag | Submitted December 10, 2015

First time commenting ever. This doctor does not appear to listen very well. Every time he asked me a question, he interrupted each time. He refused to look at my most recent MRI but decided to send me for another. When the results came in with a problem, he told me to ignore it and only go off symptoms - even though he was the one who requested the MRI be done in the first place! He said that he would do the surgery if I could say the magic symptom key words...if he can't trust his patient regarding their reported symptoms, why should his patient trust him? He said he would not prevent surgery since it is a viable choice & when I said that I wanted one to better my quality of life, he said that I didn't really feel that way and to go think about it. He told me to come back when I couldn't walk at all and have surgery then. I found him arrogant and distrustful. I will be going to someone else given the seriousness of this surgery. Someone I can trust and doesn't double talk.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2013

Did not even get to see him. He suggested I go through the "Triage Clinic" first...even though I had an MRI and have been going to a chiropractor for years. I would have to pay $200 first to go through all the same investigation procedures to either dismiss my pain or continue to pay for treatment that most likely won't work at his clinic. It's great for people that can afford $500+ a month(basing this on $70 per visit for Physio(which they usually want to see you more than once a week), chiropractic, etc...who knows how much injections cost) to see if the treatments work and if they don't then you get to see the doctor. Sounds like a private clinic...in fact my doctor offered me this option to continue to mask the pain and symptoms or take more drugs for pain and inflammation, I declined that option.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2013