Ratings for Dr. Joan Besant

This psychiatrist , Dr. Joan Besant, saw my child many years ago in the Children's Hospital and appeared to diagnose her problems as partially due to her mother's over -involvement. At the time, my daughter was very escalated and full of anger towards me, her mother. As it turns out, my daughter has Bipolar 2 disorder diagnosed by another Calgary psychiatrist as well as her Calgary G.P. , as well as generalized seizure disorder.Re-reading my now adult daughter's file in an attempt to advocate with her to help her to access help yet again , I remember the heartbreak , disbelief,and total helplessness that I experienced upon hearing Dr. Besant's simplistic and I believe misguided misdiagnosis. I do not believe that this doctor competently served my daughter or our family. Her report negatively affected subsequent treatment at the hospital. I would encourage all parents of children experiencing psychiatric problems to seek a second opinion if consulting Dr. Besant. I know nothing of her staff as my child was a patient in the hospital. Perhaps they are excellent. I rated them with the average mark.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

She is a disgrace to medical doctors. She is bias, bases "diagnoses" on mentally abusive husband's "research". She should be investigated and have her license should be questioned. Extremely unprofessional.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2015

She lied to me about the tests available to my child, misdiagnosed him after refusing to give him a simple MRI. Thank goodness we found a Psychiatrist that listened in the end.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2015