Ratings for Dr. Neil Cleaver

Dr Cleaver sorted out my spine 3 months ago. I have seen specialists before as well as spine specialists but Dr Cleaver was the only one who got an EOS scan and diagnosed me with 'flat back' syndrome as a result of fusion surgery done back in the UK 5 years ago. That surgery made me worse so I was very suspicious of further surgery as you can imagine. I found Dr Cleaver to be extremely patient with me throughout all my consultations. 'Flat Back' cannot be treated without surgery but he did tell me that some people cope well with it and some people can't live with it. Unfortunately I had to have surgery and I had a 5-1 fusion and a LPESP at L45. From day 1 I could tell my back was 'different'. By day 7 i could walk unaided and everyone noticed how my posture had changed. Now 3 months later I can run, swim, play with my youngest child and I am back at work. I still have pain but 1/10 only. Before my surgery I could hardly walk 50 paces. I am so grateful to Dr Cleaver and he comes highly recommended from me.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2018

I found Dr Cleaver a little intimidating to be honest. But I was really impressed with his knowledge and matter-of-fact approach to my condition. There was no push for surgery like some surgeons seem to be. In fact we tried just about everything before he recommended a 2 level disc replacement surgery. I had it 3 months ago and I'v been very impressed with the pain reduction. Took a few weeks before the pain from surgery went away then needed a epidural to help with some bone graft side effects. It's only now 3 months later when the pain has gone and I have my life back that I realise how awful being in chronic pain can be. And its only when you are not on the oxycontin and the targin that you realise how bad those drugs are. I highly recommend Dr Cleaver based on my experience.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2018

I had a L4/L5 disc replacement performed by Dr Cleaver. He was upfront and honest about likely outcome and risks involved with operation. Excellent knowledge and skill as a surgeon. I am 7 months post operation. I still have slight nerve pain from damaged nerve due to ruptured disc. Dr Cleaver explained this was likely due to the damaged disc pushing on the nerve But compared to the pain I had prior to the operation, it is like night and day. I have my life back and can swim, run, go to the gym doing all types of weights and excercise machines. I also just got back from a holiday in NZ wher I skied for 3 days. Make sure you follow your rehab program 100% and take no shortcuts. Follow all of Dr Cleavers advice and you should have no issues. No operation has a 100% guarantee, but with Dr Cleaver the odds are stacked in your favour. I recommend him 100%.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2018

Great guy and skilled surgeon. Before Neil's two level disc arthroplasty I had such bad pain I could hardly get around. I live in Cairns and was recommended fly down to see him. Words can't express - almost pain free now after 3 months. Dr Neil Cleaver is a nice man and explained absolutely everything to me. All my questions were answered and when you sit in front of a doctor who treats you like a human being with respect and dignity you feel very comfortable. I'v sen a lot of doctors and surgeons before who sit on pedestals and quite intimidating. My experience with Neil is the exact opposite.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2018

My name is Judy, 45 years old and 2 bad discs in my spine which were injured lifting a heavy box (over 40kg) many years ago. For years I thought I just had to live with it. So many specialists and thousands of dollars later I couldn't get any good remedy for the back pain. in 2016 things were so bad that I couldn't even walk properly and the embarasment of having to stop and rest every few hundred meters or so. Then the legs started to get sore and I saw DR Cleaver about 12 months ago. He replaced both discs (cage L5S1 ESP L45) and I spent a week in hospital. The first few weeks were bad but instantly I could tell that my back had changed. The pains in my legs instantly gone. By one month I could walk 3 kilometers. Now I'm a year post surgery and very happy. I think over 90% pain has gone. Actually I can hardly remember now how miserable life was on targin and morphine patches. DR Cleaver is a great surgeon and a gentleman. He is not punctual but I put that down to his popularity rather than a character defecit. The surgery cost me $5000 plus the anaethetist and worth every dollar. IN summary highly recommended surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2018

10/10 for this Doc. I would recommend anyone with back pain see him. I'm glad this site is under police scrutiny - these negative reviews sound suss to me. I hope whoever is writing them finds some peace without having to destroy a world class surgeon. This is a review site, so here is my experience. Surgery was never forced on me. Neil was meticulous in making a diagnosis. He tried everything to avoid surgery. He told me about his best results and his worst ones. He was humble and considerate and explained everything perfectly. Me and my wife felt confident in committing to surgery with him and after 1 year we went to the consent clinic and next week we were booked in. He saw me every day on the ward after my disc replacement and even though the first few weeks were tough within 6 weeks I already could walk 5 km without pain. 2 months later I was back working in the office. Now almost 18 months since my first appointment and 6 months after surgery I can carry my kids, play sport, earn a living and if not for this I think I may not be alive. I like hundreds others have had a great result - all I can say is thanks thanks thanks. I can't say it enough. Roger Hillbrook

flag | Submitted October 2, 2018

I would like to say I have had a perfct result from disc replacement surgery with Neil. Almost painfree which at 65 years old is darn good. Before my surgery I was on constant pain. I would highly recommend and hard to find fault with this surgeon, Thanks Neil and same to your staff at the spine center.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2018

Very happy man - really happy. Would not hestate to recommend Cleaver to anyone with backpain from bad discs. OK - i agree he's not someone to pat you on the bum and do the "there-there-there". AFter my op he was a bit abrupt with some of my questions and issues but I CANNOT fault him on his accuracy and dedication to seeing through the tough postop weeks. I had a disc replacement L5-S1 6 months ago and before my op could hardly walk. Im 35 and have a tough job and although I still get a niggel once or twice a week ALL my bad pain is gone. Finally I can sleep without oxys. I owe him my life. Mick

flag | Submitted September 27, 2018

I had surgery with Doctor Neil Cleaver a year ago. I have just seen him for my last appointment. I had a disk replacement and a fusion L45S1 and I am pain free. I havent had a day without pain for 5 years. Now I get a small stab in the back if I do too much like train in the gym. He is not cheap but before my op I couldnt work so it was worth every cent. There is something not right about the bad reviews on this ratemd site. I must have been in his office 20 times and never saw really pissed people. Doctor Neil Cleaver never once pushed me to surgery and insisted I go for second opinions. I recommend him highly. And his staff - thank you. Richard.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2018

My name is Phil and I had surgery with Dr Cleaver well over a year ago - 2 disc replacements and never ben happier. Gave me back my life and what is more to the point is that I come and see him in his new clinic now - previously he was at Allamanda - and talk and chat to other people in the waiting room who just sing his praises. I would never say my surgery was easy. Farrrrrrr from it - but without it my life was almost nothing. When people tell me how much straighter Im standng and ask me who did my surgery i tell them proudly it was Cleaver.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2018