Ratings for Dr. Neil Cleaver

This guy has ruined my life and my families. I am in such chronic pain which I didn't have before surgery. Other surgeons I've seen since for an opinion claim he performed it incorrectly. I fear I may never see my children's graduation, 21st, wedding or be a grandparent as the pain is so bad suicide is highly likely. This is something he will never understand.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2018

This surgeon is amazing and has transformed my life. Dr Cleaver fused my lower spine then 2 days later performed disc replacement, prior to surgery I could hardly sleep or walk properly being so uncomfortable and now 12 months later no problems at all. I have so much faith in this surgeon and I would never think about a second opinion. I feel like I owe so much to this specialist.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2018

Made my pain worse and also gave me other chronic pains issues that has destroyed my life.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2018

Just wanna to highlight someone mention about chronic SI joint pain after surgery and it will be better to have two ADR. You will not know if two ADR is better for your husband and private health only cover 1 ADR per year. Normally, surgeon need to see if your husband L5S1 has been compromised with facets problem. I am sure Dr Neil is a very experience surgeon. So hybrid Fusion on L5S1 and ADR on L4/5 are the best method, which has been used by many surgeon. Why? This is because L5S1 has very little movement and if the facets are having problem, then fusion is the best. If you think ADR is better on L5S1 then you are wrong. If the facets are bad, your husband will beg him to take it out as it will be even worse then what he has now SI Joint problem. Please see other specialist on this area to get fused or injection or PT. Nobody can swear this will work or that is better. You will know only after 1 year of recovery from this BACK surgery. That is why Dr Neil never rush into surgery if you want him to do so. I did asked for surgery and i have never look back. I have my 6 month post ops and i am very happy about what i can do then before a bedridden condition. Honestly, i knew two guys that has a fusion on L5S1 for 3 years and both are happy and live a normal life. So most likely, you husband already has a SI Joint problem before back surgery. So don't swear on this good surgeon as he is trying to fix what he can on his back and not other problem. Good luck as now you know it is SI joint and not his back.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2018

I had my L5/S1 disc replaced in April of this year. I have held off writing a review because I wanted to see how I would be feeling a few months down the road. Let me start by saying that I too, was a bit disarmed by my first look at Dr. Cleaver. He did seem like he had just rolled out of bed, or as it turned out, was up late in emergency surgery. I had to wait about 35 minutes beyond my appointment time to be seen. I am very used to this from many doctors and planned for it just in case. It is important to mention that had subsequent appointments that I accidentally arrived early from my commute from the Sunshine Coast and they were able to get me in early which I truly appreciated. Dr. Cleaver did a thorough background on my issues and answered all of our questions. It is important to say that I never felt rushed, this is probably why he occasionally runs behind in his schedule. He was clear, knowledgeable and to the point. I quickly realized that he is not the type of doctor that wants to be your best friend. He is not going to be touchy-feely and hold your hand. He has a no nonsense approach to his patients which could probably be interpreted as arrogance. In my case I am not able to have an MRI so we decided he was either going to fuse or replace my disc based upon what he found during surgery. Dr. Cleaver ended up replacing my disc which I was my preference. I am an equestrian and love Pilates, yoga and SCUBA diving. All of these things I can now do virtually pain free. I am off of all of my pain medications for the first time in 6 years. Here is the bottom line with Dr. Cleaver. I can see how he can be interpreted as arrogant and intimidating but I don't believe that is the case. He is very clinical and to the point and brilliant in the operating room. If you need a doctor that is going to hold your hand then he is probably not your guy. If it is more important that you have an excellent result from your back surgery then he IS your guy. This is based upon my personal experience. I had zero complications and everything happened exactly as Dr. Cleaver said it would. What he may seem to lack in personal skills he makes up in surgical skills. He is truly talented and 100% dedicated to his work and achieving the best possible result. This is the surgeon I was looking for. He saved me from the really horrible road I was headed down and I am truly grateful.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

He destroyed my husbands back. At 30 years old my husband had a disc replacement and a fusion from Neil clever. The first year was great and then everything went downhill. To cut a long and exhausting story short, my husband now experiences chronic SI joint pain because of the fusion. After seeing several other specialists (because Neil offered us no help) it was confirmed that Neil should never have performed a fusion on my husbands back, it should have been two disc replacements instead. But the fusion has left my husband permanently disabled at 32. He can not work and suffers everyday with worse pain then before he had surgery. Please, if you are thinking about getting surgery from Neil clever, run far away! Our lives have been ruined and he refuses to even see my husband in person.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2018

Wonderful surgeon and a very nice person to deal with. Explained everything in perfect detail which no-one has done before. Had my surgery 6 months ago - 2 disc replacements done 1 week apart. 3 months of pain as my spine got used to being stable and my nerves recovered - I had the proven radiculopithy. Anyhow - xrays look good and I'm back at work and playing football with my kids. No nerve pain and back pain managable with brufen every now 'n then. Thanks a million - would recommend you to anyone with back pain. Martin.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2017

If you develop cancer after back surgery and you said it is the surgeon fault. I will said God bless you as you are just unlucky. Back surgery will gives hope and not incurable disease, i hope you have some basic medical knowledge. I am just a happy person after back surgery. Just my two cent of advise.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2017

I have to agree with some of the other reviews here. I had surgery a few months ago and have developed an incurable disease. Nice work Neil.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

3 disc replacements - 2 in the lumbar and 1 in the cervical. I was sceptical to begin with but now I have pain controlled just with panadol. Any surgeon as busy as Cleaver is is going to get bad reviews - I guess the bad ones speak up but I'v had a truly life changing year with 2 surgeries and no complications. I would recommend anyone I cared about to see Dr Cleaver.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2017