Ratings for Dr. Neil Cleaver

I had my L5/S1 disc replaced in April of this year. I have held off writing a review because I wanted to see how I would be feeling a few months down the road. Let me start by saying that I too, was a bit disarmed by my first look at Dr. Cleaver. He did seem like he had just rolled out of bed, or as it turned out, was up late in emergency surgery. I had to wait about 35 minutes beyond my appointment time to be seen. I am very used to this from many doctors and planned for it just in case. It is important to mention that had subsequent appointments that I accidentally arrived early from my commute from the Sunshine Coast and they were able to get me in early which I truly appreciated. Dr. Cleaver did a thorough background on my issues and answered all of our questions. It is important to say that I never felt rushed, this is probably why he occasionally runs behind in his schedule. He was clear, knowledgeable and to the point. I quickly realized that he is not the type of doctor that wants to be your best friend. He is not going to be touchy-feely and hold your hand. He has a no nonsense approach to his patients which could probably be interpreted as arrogance. In my case I am not able to have an MRI so we decided he was either going to fuse or replace my disc based upon what he found during surgery. Dr. Cleaver ended up replacing my disc which I was my preference. I am an equestrian and love Pilates, yoga and SCUBA diving. All of these things I can now do virtually pain free. I am off of all of my pain medications for the first time in 6 years. Here is the bottom line with Dr. Cleaver. I can see how he can be interpreted as arrogant and intimidating but I don't believe that is the case. He is very clinical and to the point and brilliant in the operating room. If you need a doctor that is going to hold your hand then he is probably not your guy. If it is more important that you have an excellent result from your back surgery then he IS your guy. This is based upon my personal experience. I had zero complications and everything happened exactly as Dr. Cleaver said it would. What he may seem to lack in personal skills he makes up in surgical skills. He is truly talented and 100% dedicated to his work and achieving the best possible result. This is the surgeon I was looking for. He saved me from the really horrible road I was headed down and I am truly grateful.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

He destroyed my husbands back. At 30 years old my husband had a disc replacement and a fusion from Neil clever. The first year was great and then everything went downhill. To cut a long and exhausting story short, my husband now experiences chronic SI joint pain because of the fusion. After seeing several other specialists (because Neil offered us no help) it was confirmed that Neil should never have performed a fusion on my husbands back, it should have been two disc replacements instead. But the fusion has left my husband permanently disabled at 32. He can not work and suffers everyday with worse pain then before he had surgery. Please, if you are thinking about getting surgery from Neil clever, run far away! Our lives have been ruined and he refuses to even see my husband in person.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2018

Wonderful surgeon and a very nice person to deal with. Explained everything in perfect detail which no-one has done before. Had my surgery 6 months ago - 2 disc replacements done 1 week apart. 3 months of pain as my spine got used to being stable and my nerves recovered - I had the proven radiculopithy. Anyhow - xrays look good and I'm back at work and playing football with my kids. No nerve pain and back pain managable with brufen every now 'n then. Thanks a million - would recommend you to anyone with back pain. Martin.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2017

If you develop cancer after back surgery and you said it is the surgeon fault. I will said God bless you as you are just unlucky. Back surgery will gives hope and not incurable disease, i hope you have some basic medical knowledge. I am just a happy person after back surgery. Just my two cent of advise.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2017

I have to agree with some of the other reviews here. I had surgery a few months ago and have developed an incurable disease. Nice work Neil.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

3 disc replacements - 2 in the lumbar and 1 in the cervical. I was sceptical to begin with but now I have pain controlled just with panadol. Any surgeon as busy as Cleaver is is going to get bad reviews - I guess the bad ones speak up but I'v had a truly life changing year with 2 surgeries and no complications. I would recommend anyone I cared about to see Dr Cleaver.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2017

Last year I had surgery with this doctor. He appeared knowledgeable at the time opting for a conservative approach. I have since been diagnosed with epidural fibrosis a direct result of the surgery as confirmed by another specialist. This is causing a whole heap of nerve pain issues. Was there an error in surgery or just unlucky who knows. My condition and others like aracnoiditis can result from surgery in a higher percentage of patients than what doctors tell you. I feel the post operative empathy and care is severely lacking by this practice.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

I have seen this doctor several times. He always looks tired and dishevelled. Doctors like this are overworked. It's a concern if you are being operated on and they are in this state. Even Doctors like Neil have bad days.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

To the comment below, your rating does not justify this good surgeon or perhaps you are just jealous of how good he is.. Who will rush into a surgery without getting a few consultation unless is urgent. We are not stupid and this an't free surgery. Surely there are difference method and difference hardware use, therefore you need a few consult before having the right procedure. I am sure we are educated before we decide the surgery, and even this surgeon told me the percentage of good and bad. SPINE SURGERY SURELY AIN'T FUN, ONLY USE IT AS LAST OPTION. I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2017

If you are thinking of having spinal surgery think twice. Be careful of the surgeon you choose and where the operation is being performed. Also research the type of hardware they are using as they are not all the same.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2017