Ratings for Dr. Neil Cleaver

I can recommend Dr Neil. He has changed my life on 2 occasions. I had a L5-S1 disc replacement 2 years ago and it was the best thing I have done for my spine. 5 previous specialists all said nothing could be done. I had severe nerve damage and my spine was "shot"! 6 months after surgery I did an Iron Man challenge - even though he told me not to. Then 6 weeks ago my neck went out and I was told by my specialist in Sydney I needed "urgent" surgery. Neil said otherwise and a simple series of needles and my pain s gone and he doesn't think I'll ever need more surgery. My story is not unique. I'v spoken to lots of Neil's patients. They all say the same thing. A true gentleman and knows his stuff.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2019

I recently had a lumbar spinal reconstruction in 2 stages - anterior on one day and 2 days later posterior. I was very nervous about the 2 surgeries. 3 months later and I am completely pain free and feel amazing. After being in pain for 12 months with what was diagnosed to be a hip injury, I was finally given clear evidence for reparation surgery (following a lumbar laminectomy in 1984). The information was clear and well explained- wth no embellishments or undue promises. Neil is brutally honest and his frankness can seem hard at the beginning. But his skill is obviously excellent as my back was in a very bad way. His office staff are lovely and everything was fully explained to me. I was very prepared for surgery being fit, having lost weight and having good core strength. I followed the post op rehab to the letter - not missing one walk or swim session and now swimming 1 km 3 times a week and doing Byron Bay lighthouse walk twice a week and working full time. The exercise post surgery is paramount and the success of my operation is due to Neil's surgical skills and diagnosis and my motivation for it to work by prioritising the rehab. I highly recommend Neil as a surgeon and would return confidently in the future if required.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2019

Was made to feel like a burden rather than a patient in need. Between being used as a lab rat and being told each excoriating procedure after the next was the one’, nothing worked. The most incredible thing was initiating discharge proceedings before even talking to me the day of the last absolute winning procedure was incredibly irresponsible at the least. The bare faced lies told 3 days after the procedure claimed were near absolute lunacy. Be careful. He maybe an excellent physician if you start and finish your treatment with him, just pass is my advice if he is a back up.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2019

Some feedback just make no sense, what neurosurgeon and something about bone scan. Poor detail written, sound like trying to damage a good surgeon reputation, which help to put a smile in my daily life. Ask for his patient, i am sure someone will love to share his/her experience with you. I am Don post op since 2017, ask my contact and see for yourself in Brisbane. No more doubt !!!

flag | Submitted May 30, 2019

Had a large disc fragment from a herniated lumbar disc removed that was pressing on nerve roots and thecal sac just before christmas. I had relief instantly . Dr Cleaver is very upfront and told me that in no way will this fix the problem long term and I may need a disc replacement or fusion in the future . I have no hesitation in recommending Dr Cleaver as this is my second surgery with him. The first was a cervical disc replacement 3 years ago and I have never looked back. He is the best Spinal surgeon without a doubt on the Coast.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2019

I have been suspicious of spine surgery since my 2 failed micro-discs in 2011. I had 2 discs shaved back in 2011 and although it kind-of helped my nerve symptoms my back just got worse. Everyone as well as my GP begged me to have no more surgery. I eventually got to the stage where I could walk for about 100 meters before 12/10 pain and could go no more. Then the oxys and the targins stopped helping so I saw Cleaver after a friend who had very sucessful surgery with him convinced me to at least chat to him. I found him a little arrogant to be truthful but I was immediatelty put at ease when I sat in his large waiting room after having my EOS scan (no other surgeon has one) and spoke to some other patients of his who were all delighted with his surgery so i started to feel more comfortable. He was very matter-of-fact. I felt there were no embeleshaments or airs-and-graces with this guy. Bottom line...... 3 months after my fusion at L5-S1 I am no longer in pain. I feel justified in being suspicious but now I feel like I should have been treated with this type of anterior surgery from the beginning. I recommend anyone with a spine problem see Dr Neil Cleaver.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2019

Dr Cleaver sorted out my spine 3 months ago. I have seen specialists before as well as spine specialists but Dr Cleaver was the only one who got an EOS scan and diagnosed me with 'flat back' syndrome as a result of fusion surgery done back in the UK 5 years ago. That surgery made me worse so I was very suspicious of further surgery as you can imagine. I found Dr Cleaver to be extremely patient with me throughout all my consultations. 'Flat Back' cannot be treated without surgery but he did tell me that some people cope well with it and some people can't live with it. Unfortunately I had to have surgery and I had a 5-1 fusion and a LPESP at L45. From day 1 I could tell my back was 'different'. By day 7 i could walk unaided and everyone noticed how my posture had changed. Now 3 months later I can run, swim, play with my youngest child and I am back at work. I still have pain but 1/10 only. Before my surgery I could hardly walk 50 paces. I am so grateful to Dr Cleaver and he comes highly recommended from me.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2018

I found Dr Cleaver a little intimidating to be honest. But I was really impressed with his knowledge and matter-of-fact approach to my condition. There was no push for surgery like some surgeons seem to be. In fact we tried just about everything before he recommended a 2 level disc replacement surgery. I had it 3 months ago and I'v been very impressed with the pain reduction. Took a few weeks before the pain from surgery went away then needed a epidural to help with some bone graft side effects. It's only now 3 months later when the pain has gone and I have my life back that I realise how awful being in chronic pain can be. And its only when you are not on the oxycontin and the targin that you realise how bad those drugs are. I highly recommend Dr Cleaver based on my experience.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2018

I had a L4/L5 disc replacement performed by Dr Cleaver. He was upfront and honest about likely outcome and risks involved with operation. Excellent knowledge and skill as a surgeon. I am 7 months post operation. I still have slight nerve pain from damaged nerve due to ruptured disc. Dr Cleaver explained this was likely due to the damaged disc pushing on the nerve But compared to the pain I had prior to the operation, it is like night and day. I have my life back and can swim, run, go to the gym doing all types of weights and excercise machines. I also just got back from a holiday in NZ wher I skied for 3 days. Make sure you follow your rehab program 100% and take no shortcuts. Follow all of Dr Cleavers advice and you should have no issues. No operation has a 100% guarantee, but with Dr Cleaver the odds are stacked in your favour. I recommend him 100%.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2018

Great guy and skilled surgeon. Before Neil's two level disc arthroplasty I had such bad pain I could hardly get around. I live in Cairns and was recommended fly down to see him. Words can't express - almost pain free now after 3 months. Dr Neil Cleaver is a nice man and explained absolutely everything to me. All my questions were answered and when you sit in front of a doctor who treats you like a human being with respect and dignity you feel very comfortable. I'v sen a lot of doctors and surgeons before who sit on pedestals and quite intimidating. My experience with Neil is the exact opposite.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2018