Ratings for Dr. Fady I. Sharara

My journey began at a large clinic in Chicago where 1. I was just another name 2. I only saw my Dr. at the initial consultation, the retrieval, and transfer, 3. I received all my instructions through a messaging system, and 4. I contacted some, we'll say, less-than sympathetic staff. After that cycle failed, I knew what I was looking for. I set out to find a Dr. that would be thorough and would give my personal fertility issues the proper attention. I also knew I needed a bit more hand holding and compassion to ease what I already knew would be a stressful and terrifying process. It turns out that this is exactly what you get at VCRM! I scheduled an appointment at VCRM after reviewing their SART data and reading reviews. I felt comfortable as soon as I walked in (thanks to the lovely ladies at the front desk) and I knew that Dr. Sharara was 'my guy' within 5 minutes of my consultation. He is brilliant! He reviewed every detail of my records and told me exactly what to do to be successful. By the way, we were successful on the first try!!! I saw him at EVERY appointment and he guided me through the entire process with ease. Not only that, but, he greeted me (and my family members) with warmth and a straightforward plan with every appointment. I cannot tell you how much I trust him! I honestly felt like he was just as invested in my success as I was. It is very clear that he genuinely cares about successful outcomes. As for the team... Nurse Jo is the kindest and most supportive person in the world. I'd go on and on about her too, but you'll notice that she's mentioned in every review. That sort of tells you how incredible she is. Honestly, every single member of the team is kind, supportive, efficient, and compassionate. It's beyond impressive. Words cannot express the gratitude and appreciation I have for Dr. Sharara and the ENTIRE team at VCRM. No one would ever choose to face fertility issues. However, there's nowhere else I'd rather be while drudging through the murky waters.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2016

I'm writing this as an egg donor who has been through several donation cycles with VCRM. I didn't know exactly how horrible the environment was until I went elsewhere. In comparison, Sharara is not only condescending and somewhat misogynistic, but outright rude--both to his staff and clients. He has yelled at me to the point it brought me to tears (over being late to an appointment my third cycle--I'd never been late before and called to tell them I was running late), he is dismissive and cares little to hardly at all for your wellbeing as a donor (you're not paying him, right? so why bother). He's not gentle, at all, even after you wince or request for him to not be so rough. I've also seen and heard him raising his voice and being awful to his staff on several occasions. My previous coordinator left the practice because Sharara was so abusive. I had to be coached after coming in when he'd yelled at me because he would "enjoy" seeing his effect on me, that he'd made me cry. A nurse -told- me that. During my last donation--and let me promise you, it will be my last with them--the clinic not only continually botched tasks related to the process, but I had to pick up their slack to ensure that the donation did not go awry. I don't get paid enough for this: needed medications were not ordered, tests were forgotten, wrong appointment times assigned, etc. The icing on the cake was when our contract stated that they were to pay me following the retrieval, but refused to. Despite asking me if I wanted to continue to be on their list of donors, the clinic claimed I wasn't their donor and therefore didn't have to pay me; the intended parents needed to. Instead of trying to work the situation out, Sharara told my husband that he was "Wasting [Sharara's] time," that he "Wasn't paying," and to get out. A nurse laughed at him, probably the same one who inferred I was lying about the contract--despite the fact I -provided- the documentation. I had to call my attorney to resolve the ordeal. I can--and will happily--back the entirety of this recollection with corroboration from my lawyer, the intended parents' lawyer, and my current coordinator. Don't use this clinic; not even once.

Submitted July 20, 2016

After experiencing three miscarriages in 18 months period, I started looking for Reproductive Specialist in the DC Area. I have visited three offices and only Dr. Sharara convinced me that he would do what it takes to investigate all the possibilities and help me get a positive outcome. When I first met him in Jan ’16, every other doctor that I saw had ruled out all the possibilities and pretty much wished me good luck with the next pregnancy. Dr. Sharara looked through all the options and discovered a septum and polyps on my uterus which probably contributed to my previous miscarriages. After following his diet suggestions (not as bad as you think it would be), taking the supplements and having the surgery to remove the uterus and polyps, I got pregnant the first month. I am now thirteen weeks pregnant and cannot thank enough to Dr. Sharara and his amazing staff.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2016

I only have good things to say about Dr. Sharara and his team. 3.5 years ago I was referred to Dr Sharara after multiple miscarriages. With only a diet plan for my husband and I was able to bring to this world out beautiful baby girl who is now 2.5 years old. When my husband and I decided to try for our second baby, again we experienced the pain of losing the pregnancy then we waited no longer and searched for Dr. Sharara's help again. As usual, he made us feel very special and at ease and promised that with the right treatment we would be able to be pregnant again. This was 4 months ago and now I am 9 weeks pregnant! We are very happy and cant thank him enough for his professionalism, care, and knowledge.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

Dr. Sharara is an amazing person who is very thorough and to the point. He does all the tests and the results are reviewed with your partner for further proceedings. The diet plan he advises plays an important role, at least in my case. You have any question, call the doctor office and you will get the answer promptly. Jo is really great and you can call her anytime for any question and she will be ready to answer. I have never waited in the waiting room more than a minute to be called in. They are very punctual. I started my tests in January and now I'm pregnant. I was always treated as a ONE and ONLY patient with most care. I am really thankful to all of the team and especially to Dr. Sharara and Jo who gave light in my life. I highly recommend VCRMED for anyone who is having trouble to become pregnant.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016

Like most people here, our journey to become parents has been a long and complicated one. We were extremely fortunate to have been introduced to VCRM and Dr Sharara as part of our surrogacy journey. We honestly felt like we were Dr Sharara's most important clients. He and his staff were incredibly professional and empathetic. As previous reviewers have said, he is direct but also very kind. While VCRM is a smaller clinic than other ones in the DC region, we think this is their strength. He and his staff treated all of us, including our wonderful surrogate, with dignity and care. We are know the proud parents of a beautiful baby girl and we couldn't have done it without Dr Sharara.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

We did a lot of research (both online through the SART website and through word of mouth) before we decided to come to this practice and we made the right decision. Dr. Sharara (VCRM) has some of the best statistics in the D.C. area but it wasn't until we experienced some tough IVF rounds (including two miscarriages) that we realized how lucky we were to be working with Dr. Sharara and his warm and compassionate staff. Dr. Sharara never gave up on trying to get me pregnant. He was constantly thinking outside the box on how to address my numerous issues including advanced age, diminished ovarian reserve, and a thin lining. He was up on the latest research and constantly tweaking my treatment. He is a very direct doc when it comes to diagnosis and telling you what he thinks will and won't work, but he is also incredibly kind and really works hard to help you start a family. We also found him open to our ideas on what might work for me. Finally, I also want to add that the staff here is wonderful. (I went for a consult at another D.C. clinic and the contrast was shocking.) Ellen, Mary and Sheri (the front desk staff) are sweet and welcoming. They know you by name, remember where you went for the weekend, and ask genuinely about how you are doing --never did I feel like a number here. Tricia did an great job staying on top of my insurance coverage issues and with billing. We never had any hiccups on the financial front. Jo, the nurse, was the person who helped me keep it together after some tough appointments that left me disheartened. She responded to my every phone call the same day and went above and beyond when dealing with Lab Corp. Even Dr. Abdo (the embryologist) knew me by name and always said hello. At the end of the day, we are so thrilled to be pregnant (with twins) after being on this long and painful road and we are so lucky to have picked the right clinic with a doctor and a staff that really cared about us.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2016

at the initial consultation he reviewed my previous test results from my ob/gyn and gp and prescribed a diet plan and thyroid medicine. his diet plan was through a paid app that is severely lacking in features with some blatant inconsistencies. needless to say i was disappointed in it and the guidance. he also didn't bother to recognize my concerns with going on thyroid medicine even though my numbers were still considered in the "normal" range. my gp didn't feel comfortable putting me on it previously. he also mentioned i wouldn't even notice the difference. however, i did with positive outcomes of more energy and bowel regularity. i did make an effort to curb my sugar intake which seemed to improve my facial acne. i was okay with the slew of tests he recommended as i wanted to know the big picture. however, my insurance doesn't cover anything and there's no option for a payment plan. everything is due up front with only a credit card receipt to show for your transaction (no documentation for what you were paying for). what was frustrating was that some of the tests were routine (cultures and blood work) and would have been covered had the office not consistently billed my insurance for fertility treatment. as i progressed through the tests, i felt more and more inhuman with lack of information, rushed appointments, and negligence. i had to fill out a bunch of paperwork for my first meeting which included giving the phone number to my local pharmacist. it was never reviewed nor document in the computer system. the nurse would always call for the number after test results came in. she would also mis-communicate my test results when asked why i needed a prescription. during my hysteroscopy, the doctor only said he saw some things he didn't like even though he said there was no scar tissue present. he said he needed to scrape (not take a biopsy but scrape). he never bothered to explain and was not gentle during this procedure with only 600mg of ibuprofen in me. the nurse said there were polyps but my records say there were none ?! no one explained that i would also bleed for up to 7 days afterwards either, missing my window to continue to try for natural conception that cycle! my health records also only indicate that he took a biospy with no mention of scraping, polyps, or other abnormal findings. my HSG test at Washington Radiology went so much better and they didn't put a d@mn open kitchen trash bag under my @ss before the procedure nor did i need the ibuprofen. the nurse had grabbed an expired vile for the second round of cultures but didn't bother calling and letting me know there was an issue and they needed to redo it. at our final consultation, they had to pull me back to redo the cultures after the doctor berated the nurse in front of the entire office for the mistake. while at the final consultation, i requested all my medical records to get the bigger picture and i'm glad i did as the doctor didn't even bother going over all of them (totally didn't acknowledge that while my thyroid levels were in optimum pregnancy range after meds, that i had tested positive for the antibodies or given us the full picture of my husband's analysis). the doctor was far from being compassionate or understanding at our final consultation. he rushed through the results and handed us a list of supplements to take, again not explaining how they would help and charging us for a product we could get online for the same price but saying it was more expensive elsewhere and that he was doing us a favor by passing the savings on to us. the DHEA prescribed for me aggravated my anxiety within 2 weeks of taking it. part of the reason i sought this doctor out was because he supposedly didn't require the use of prometrium for an IUI. however, he highly recommends it and gave a stupid analogy for why i should take it. i tried to explain again my concerns with taking it as i have a history of depression/anxiety, migraines, and asthma which can be exacerbated by this medicine. he wouldn't hear any of it and told me not to pay any attention to the warning labels and reviews online of others having a reaction to it. he also basically told me if i couldn't hack the pain/discomfort of taking prometrium that i should think twice about labor. i have had a bad reaction in the past to all birth control methods that contain any progesterone in it (depression/anxiety worsened with increased frequency and length of migraines). he didn't even offer working with me on it...as let's see how you react or we'll start you on a lower dose. VERY DISMISSIVE! in the end, i still felt like i was at the big box fertility clinic on an assembly line but paying out the @ss for the inhumane treatment. he gave us a 5% chance of getting pregnant on our own, 10% with an IUI (which he equated as increasing our chances by 3 times?!), and 50% with IVF with ICSI if we could improve our fertility with the supplements. definitely not the right doctor for us.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

I could not think of a better fertility clinic than The Virginia Center for Reproductive Medicine. Dr. Sharara and his staff are very professional, courteous and punctual! His assistant nurse Jo is so loving and caring. Dr. Sharara is honest and goes right to the point and you may feel the tough love from him, but it is because he really cares about his patients and wants to see the best & successful results. He treats you, as you are his only patient. He is very patient and thorough by answering all the questions you have. I am pregnant now with a girl. My husband and I can never thank him and his amazing staff enough for everything they did for us. We are very happy and satisfied with our experience and we would recommend him to anyone who is having hard times of having a baby!

flag | Submitted April 23, 2016

Dr. Fady Sharara is amazing and I highly recommend him. We completed three fresh IVF cycles with him and each of those three cycles provided a healthy baby. This practice starts with a consultation and then testing on the man and then the woman. During the tests you won’t receive feedback until the final test is complete. While this could drive some people crazy, just keep in mind that they cannot diagnose the issue until they receive all the inputs. I was happy with this approach as I would have googled each test and diagnosed myself which isn’t helpful. To me, the best part about this Dr. Sharara’s practice is that it is small and he is punctual. You aren’t lost in a big clinic and you are seen within minutes of arriving. I also loved the nurses - Jo is great. You should review his stats online and you will quickly realize he is the best reproductive endocrinologist in the area. Don’t delay – go check him out. You won’t be disappointed. I couldn’t have had three kids without him. I can’t thank him enough.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2016

Dr. Fady I. Sharara's Credentials

• American Univ Of Beirut, Fac Of Med, Beirut, Lebanon (Grad. 1986)

Oxford