Ratings for Dr. Sean Tolhurst

I've recently visited Dr Tolhurst's rooms as I was quite anxious about my sleep study results. The ladies in reception were very warm, friendly, welcoming, informative and professional (something I rarely see). Dr Tolhurst was very punctual and even took me in earlier than my appointment time as he must've noticed I came in early. I found Dr Tolhurst extremely knowledgeable about my results and treatment, whilst giving me alternative options, turns out I didn't need a machine so I saved a lot of money. I now sleep with a watch in the back of my neck, Best sleep device I've even had! Dr Tolhurst spoke and explained everything on a level I could comprehend and made it feel like a friendly chat rather than an intense consult (unlike other Drs' who are pompous and all about money). Although I no longer need to go back to see him, I recommend him to anyone wanting a Doctor who will give you the facts and find a solution to any sleep problems. Thank you Dr Tolhurst and your admin staff for your wonderful help.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

I have always found Dr Tolhurst to be very knowledgable and helpful. Recently my sleepiness had gotten a lot worse so after lots of blood tests etc with my GP I went back to Dr Tolhurst. He was very thorough. I was very impressed with his attention to detail (he picked up on things I never considered could be the cause). I was skeptical of his conclusion to begin with but you know he was right. Some people might consider his approach to be arrogant, I don't. I don't go to doctors for the small talk, I want someone who is thorough and is going to give it to me straight. He told me what I had to do and despite my initial reservations I did it and I feel better for it.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

I found Dr Sean Tolhurst to be The Most Arrogant Specialist that I have ever had the misfortune to meet! The reason I say this is because Dr Tolhurst, who was quite aware after being informed that not only do I have a medical condition that affects short term memory, but that I am also a Widower and for obvious reasons have minor depression. In my consultation With Dr Sean Tolhurst it became quickly evident, within the first 10 minutes of my consultation, that Dr Sean Tolhurst was NOT going to listen to "ANYTHING" that I had to say! More over, Dr Tolhurst just went on and on and on about the graph that was displaying on his computer screen. Dr Sean Tolhurst then topped that off by having a "TOTAL DISREGARD" for My Employers Business, My Employers Customers and for My Employment, the icing on the cake was when Dr Sean Tolhurst "Advised Me" that I would have grounds for "Unfare Dismissal" if My Employer were to sack me! At the end of my consultation Dr Sean Tolhurst handed me a piece of note paper that had "Air Settings" that were scribbled on the page, and Tolhurst also handed me 3 "Brochures" from 3 different companies to where I would be able to purchase a "CPAP Machine", finally saying that in 14 days my "GP" can clear me to return to Driving a Commercial vehicle because He, "Dr Sean Tolhurst", would be on Holidays! (PLEASE NOTE; my own "GP" is not 100% sure if he "CAN" clear me for driving, without he himself getting into legal trouble due to Dr Sean Tolhurst ignorantly placing my GP in the line of fire!) Not to mention that Dr Sean Tolhurst also "HAS" a Completely "Arrogant and Dismissive Attitude" toward my Other specialist who treats my medical condition dealing with my short term memory, and infact, "To Me", seemed to be leaning toward the idea that my other Specialist was "incompetent" in his dealings with me! Moving on, I was speaking with one of the Ladies in the office at my work, "Who Also Has Sleep Apnea", and I was directed to the Beenleigh Sleep Clinic, where I have recieved a complete understanding of "MY" Sleep Apnea Condition and then advised Me in "WAYS of dealing with MY condition"! I was "SHOWN" the different machines, and instead of a "CPAP" Machine I have Hired The "APAP" Machine! Furthermore, it is now one week later since hiring The APAP Machine and already I am starting to feel the benefits of using the Machine, because I'm not as tired now When I first wake up. The best part is, that with an APAP Machine, it is easier to go to sleep at night, and that if you do wake up during the night you don't get startled by the air that is being blown into your nostrils because the APAP automatically backs off and only ramps up again, once your asleep! Finally, I'd like to Thank The Beenleigh Sleep Clinic for their very professional and down to earth "HELP"! "In My Opinion", ANYONE who is Referred to Dr Sean Tolhurst should ask for a Different Specialist! furthermore, Dr Tolhurst might be a Lecturer at a University, an assessor of medical students and has awards, but Tolhurst is Arrogant, Ignorant and In My Opinion would appear to regard "Himself" So Much Higher and So Much better than anyone else, and that includes other Specialists! Thanks for NOTHING Tolhurst!

flag | Submitted January 1, 2017

I have been seeing Dr Tolhurst for many years now. He is always very friendly and explains everything very well. You never leave his office scratching your head or feeling confused. It is also very apparent when talking to him that he knows exactly what he is talking about, and has studied extensively. He also seems to genuinely care about his patients wellbeing, outside of just their sleep disorder too.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2016

I work in the sleep industry and in more than 5 years of dealing with various sleep specialists Tolhurst is the only one I would trust to accurately diagnose Idiopathic Hypersomnia. I lived with this disorder undiagnosed for more than 20 years despite seeing numerous doctors during this time. Tolhurst was not only able to accurately diagnose it but he also explained it to me in detail and told me what I can realistically expect from medication. I highly recommend Tolhurst for an accurate diagnose and appropriate treatment. If you're looking for a doctor that is going to sugar coat it and tell you what you want to hear as opposed to what you need to hear, see someone else.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2015

Felt very belittled and did not want to hear or even let me speak about any of my past experiences with trying to keep a good sleep pattern. He basically said I wasn't trying hard enough, which is incredibly disheartening when you're trying to get some recognition for a decade long struggle. He didn't seem to believe people can have an inherent circadian rhythm problem, but rather just create one through bad sleep hygiene and then not try hard enough to fix it. Seemed entirely uncaring.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2015

I went for a sleep study through SNORE Australia early 2012 at Greenslopes Private Hospital. The next morning I had my appointment with Dr. Tolhurst. The appointment started a bit late due to the results coming through late, but he saw me as soon as he received them. He explained very clearly all of my results and told me my sleep problem diagnosis. He detailed my options for medication or other treatments. He answered all of my numerous questions about the condition and treatment including drawing me diagrams. I have been to countless specialists over the years for this problem and he is the only one that seemed capable of a diagnosis beyond the usual sleep apnoea. Most doctors, even 'sleep specialists', have never heard of Delayed Sleep Phase disorder and misdiagnose patients with psychiatric problems instead. I can say with all honesty that this doctor has changed my life for the better.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2013