Ratings for Dr. Zaki Shullaih

It is totally irresposible of the NS College of Physicians and NS Health care to refuse to renew Dr Shullaih's licence. His licence was taken away a couple of yaers ago and he was forced to carry out another year of under grad work at Dal. His licence was renewed, but only to work in the hospital, not for private practice. Now they they refused ti renew his licence again and want him to do more undergrad work. This doctor was perfectly fine to hold a licence for years, serving at the Cape Breton Hospital, Regional Hospital and in his own clinic. His medical training can be found online, he is very well qualified. I have not receieved or seen an explaination as to why this is happening. I know thw Health Dept. complained he spent too much time with patients. He never rushed anyone. If he had to see a person for 20 min, he did. If it was a prescrition refill and checkup, it would take 5 min. He got the same MSI pay per patient no matter the time. Some people don't know but years ago he was takng courses on Toronto, flying to Sydney and seeing patients until well into the evening and early morning. Then in a few days flew back and did the whole thing over again! This is dedication that would be hard to find in any doctor. And now, is is punished again. This time, I'm very afraid is is not going to play the games he has been put through. He can easily work in any other province or the states without all this trouble. There a only a couple of doctors in the hospital system now, private doctors are not taking on new patients and there is a year wait to see someone in Halifax. I don't know if or when I will ever see another phychiatrist. Shame on the NS government and College of Physicians for the terrible situation they have caused. And not just with Dr Shullaih, but with many other doctors who have left the area.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2018

This is my coming here to rate my psychiatrist of over 10 years and it's absolutely shameful the reasons in which I have to do so. With the Nova Scotia health care system in the middle of a catastrophic crisis, the people that I helped put in a position of power are oblivious to the role they have played and continue to play in this crisis almost as though it's just another day at the office. Dr shulaih has been my Dr for over ten years amd in those ten years he's been beside me for all the worst possible life altering experiences anyone could go through, and i don't know how he did it but he got me through it. My trust and confidence in him supersedes anyone I've ever met in my life. When I spoke just like all doctors he would listen and smile and nod and in the beginning I assumed he was like every other dr I've ever come across in my life he was just waiting to get you back out the door. Until one day he decided that he was going to do the talking that appointment and not me. Dr shulaih then began to tell me about me. I sat there suddenly feeling as though I was naked wondering what, who, how!! How does he know this who told him these things Ive never shared this with anyone I didn't tell anyone my deep dark emotional scars. I actually got mad and thought who does this guy think he is knowing all this stuff he's not supposed to know those are my secrets. It was then that I realized he did more than listen he understood he took the time to figure it all out so he could guide me the best he could. I admire this man more than anyone I know, I trust him so deeply because I know he wouldn't turn away from me and he would help me back up when I fall.... always!!! It's very unfortunate that the politics and the need for those in the positions of power to exert control over the health care system with an ultimatum of do what we say or don't do at all not only am I loosing one of the best Dr's I've ever had I'm now back in a position where I'm now left affected by this health care crisis. I cannot believe that after spending over 15 years under the care of Dr Shullaih and another prior Dr that my government, my province is ok with throwing myself and countless others back out into the cold in search of mental health care, all because they believe a dr shouldn't care so much for his patients and that he should have distanced himself more for his patients. News flash to the government the college of physicians the minister of health nobody wants or needs a dr who is distant, lacks compassion morals or ethics. Nor do I believe that those who played a part in this decision would want their family members treated by a dr with those standards. I think many would opt for the one who cared too much!! Never have I seen such a manipulative system first tI'm he had this problem it was because he was being made to close his practice and work within the hospital or don't work at all now this. So our government is going to allow a wonder compassionate dr who wants to stay here wants to be a part of a change for our health care sit at home while patients get thrown to the curb. Totally appalling! !!

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

He was very unprepared for our sessions. Didn’t read anything on my file, asked the same questions each time and then did an “analysis” of me without knowing anything. He seemed more focused on trying to magically figure me out instead of asking what my issues were and giving me advice. He is a nice person and maybe if he wasn’t losing his practice I would have had a better experience.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017

Dr. Shullaih is a wonderful psychiatrist. Thank you for all your help. You will be missed

flag | Submitted November 3, 2017

Seeing Dr. Shullaih has made a world of difference for me. He shows compassion and takes the time to listen and the time to give advice. He's the best psychiatrist I've ever seen.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

Bent over backwards to make it work with Dr. Shullaih. Kept saying I was depressed and anxious for the same reasons. When I could clearly demonstrate this was not the case. Does not listen/remember either, which is frustrating. Would ask the same questions every session. My family and I have invested so many resources trying to improve my mental health doing exactly what Dr. Shullaih said and we have nothing to show for it.

Submitted September 17, 2017

best dr ever always there for his patients, this dr goes above and beyond for his patients well being, very caring and has concern for all his patients i know for me as his patient not once did i ever leave his office without knowing and being assured if something was wrong just call and i'd get another appointment to see him right away, we need more caring doctors like him i know he's made a big difference in my life being my doctor, can't wait till he's. back in his own practice again. not only for me but all of his patients, sure do need him ,

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

Awesome, no other word for him. He was the best doctor I ever had (and there were many) and would love to have him back.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

He was my doctor a few years ago and he was the best doctor going , I want this doctor back . Thank you dr shullaih for being such a amazing doctor and knowing your stuff

flag | Submitted May 11, 2017

He was my doctor for years and I wasn't aware of the circumstances around the reason he left Sydney. I knew he left for educational reasons but had no idea he was forced out.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017