Ratings for Dr. Steven A. Porter

I was not happy with my visit with Dr. Porter at all. I called stating that I wanted to be seen for intestinal problems ( I was Dx with IBS in the past and was having pain feeling that nothing was moving). When I arrived, the office staff didn't seem very kind and seemed to be talking unkindly about someone (whether patient or co-worker I don't know). In addition, when I was sent back to see Dr. Porter, he didn't run any tests just told me I had ulcerative colitis and then just talked about diabetes and cholesterol which had nothing to do with my situation. He did tell me to follow a specific diet but it was extremely restrictive and hard to follow. I am sure that he meant well but I was extremely upset because I felt that he wasn't listening, didn't run any tests and most importantly seemed extremely arrogant. He seems to be a good GI doctor however, I will never go back to him again. I will find a better GI doctor that listens to me and at least will run a test to really determine what is going on; not just lecture me about things that have nothing to do with my diagnosis nor why I am here.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Dr. Steven Porter is a great physician. I have had chronic pancreatitis, no family history, and it was difficult to determine why I had developed this condition. Changed diet, put me on meds, did tests to determine the issue. I have suffered from horrible digestive issues for years, seen various family doctors and other gastroenterologists for my issues. They gave me various reasons or just told me that my digestive issues are common and not to worry some people are just gassy, have acid reflux, or they just ruled it IBS and dismissed me. Dr. Porter always listened to my symptoms and issues I was experiencing. Of course with all doctors he tries to rule out the simple things to see if that will help but he never dismissed me or my issues. Turned out to be a pancreatic blockage. When I had surgery and had to stay in the hospital I developed infections from the liver stint by a different doctor. Dr. Porter came and visited me in the hospital all be it briefly, to check up on me. Great guy, great doctor, great staff. I couldn’t have ask for better care. J Wilson

flag | Submitted October 11, 2016

Staff is horrible immature and racest thete lucky I just left and disn't report racist comments I heard while waiting to be seen

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

Dr. Porter has performed 2 colonoscopies on me in the past 11 years. He's very good as this and I would highly recommend him. His office and staff have always been professional and helpful . KR Jensen

flag | Submitted May 8, 2015

Both Dr. Porter and his staff are very caring and knowledgeable. We visited five gastroenterologists before we located Dr. Porter. For any serious issues you cannot do better!

flag | Submitted January 10, 2015

Have had multiple colonoscopys one found skin tag that was cancerous, next one was large poyp, he ordered cat scan and put me on lo carb diet he is very helpful and explains what is happening very clearly

flag | Submitted November 24, 2014

Both my husband and son have gone to him. He never was able to figure out either of they're problems. With my husband he ended up recommending to have his gull bladder being removed. It made it sound like that had to be it cause they're was nothing else it could be. Still having problems after gull bladder has been removed. With my son he kept blaming the problem on my son's psychiatric medication. We pulled him off of them for a week. Still no change in is stomach pain. ( He said he would feel much better in a couple of days if it was the meds.) He did food allergy test and colonoscopy. After all that he still blamed the medications. After I reminded him that he didn't feel any better off of them he then said well it must be IBS. The IBS medicine made him worse. Horrible diarrhea. We are going to take him to someone else. Dr. Porter is a nice guy but he doesn't like to listen. He also believes everything can be cured with the South Beach Diet. (Husband tried that too.) He is more interested in showing off his voice activated note taking program than figuring out what's wrong with the patient. Huge waste of time and money!

flag | Submitted October 15, 2014

Dr. Porter came highly recommended, and I was at my wits end, through with seeing paraprofessionals like nutritionists. I found out very quickly that Dr. Porter likes to talk and doesn't like to listen at all. After my first appt he had me in for an an expenpensive colonoscopy/endoscopy. My sceduled follow up turned out to be with his assistant. (Another paraprossional! That is exactly what I didn't want..I wanted an expert!!). Eventually I did get in to see Dr. Porter for a 2 min appt. He was shocked that I wanted to come back at all since my results were perfectly normal. I tried to make it very clear that I still felt horrible. He suggested food allergies. I reminded him of the 10 sheets of medical tests and food trials I had previously. Apparently he had not added these to my chart and they were now missing. He suggested I had IBS, the most common shove-off for gastero docs). No help at all, not nice, and a huge waste of time and money. Turns out I have an tummy infection is all!!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2010

If you can see Dr. Porter himself, he is helpful. I always got stuck w/the PA, and never really got help after that. At first Dr. Porter was excellent, but I think he got too busy. My last appt. w/him he stood at the door w/his hand on the door-knob. His office staff is HORRIBLE!! They are immature, and loud. Another part of the reason I left.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2009

This guy has a weird sense of humor. He knows his stuff but is very arrogant. His office staff is awful. The receptionist is awful and makes bad comments out loud and to other employees about their clients. Very uncalled for. If I was Dr Porter I would ask here to leave.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2009

Dr. Steven A. Porter's Credentials

• Spanish

• Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans (Grad. 1988)