Ratings for Dr. Barry Levenson

i have known Dr. Levenson for about 30 years, however after reaching the age needing colon rectal exams, etc. i began seeing him. i credit him for my life. he did a thorough history and recommended looking down my throat while i was undergoing the colo rectal exam. he discovered pre cancerous cells and referred me to the chief of the surgical unit at Virginia Mason and luckily they believe they discovered the cells in time. Dr. Leveson is intelligent and at the top of his field. we are fortunate to have doctors with this caliber of training and experience in Bellingham.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017

Dr. Levenson is an interesting character. If you've watched the show "House" you will understand. He's wound-up, talks a mile a minute, can be overbearing, but if you can overlook the social aspects, he's the best around. Dr. Leveson loves to problem-solve. Given his specialty, that's a bonus. There's no stone (gall or other) left unturned. He's a stickler for details and followthrough. You'll be most successful with the man if you follow his directions. After all, it is your health. I had "homework" after every visit, and he held me accountable. Do not expect him to be your buddy. You aren't joining him for drinks or a round of golf. Don't get your nose out of joint based on his lack of expected social graces. You are there to be cured, and there is no one better. The man's a genius. Leave it at that.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2015

I have known Dr. Levenson for over 15 years. He has performed 3 colonoscopies and 1 endoscopy for me. Although I have severe allergic reactions to numerous medications, Dr. Levenson has worked diligently to find one that I could withstand during the procedures. He is an excellent physician and extremely knowledgeable. When discussing the results of a procedure, he is to the point and makes suggestions to address any medical issues. I appreciate his honesty most of all. I travel through two counties just to have Dr. Levenson perform my procedures, because he is very thorough and detail oriented. I am very confident with Dr. Levenson's medical ability and have recommended him to several of my friends.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

Barry Levenson is a terrible doctor who caused me irreversible harm. Avoid at all costs.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2015

Refuses to listen or speak to staff about failures to communicate even when it was life threatening. My mother almost died because of it. There was a huge failure to deal with critical complications and a failure to communicate about abnormal lab results. When this was communicated to him he was belligerent and arrogant. Go somewhere else unless you like to be treated poorly and want to roll the dice with your health or ability to be able to contact him in an emergency

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

Dr. Levenson did emergency gall bladder surgery on me, after a horrific experience in my initial gall bladder removal, which was emergency as well. I was alone, scared and in extreme pain. In waltzes Dr. Levenson, it was life changing. Not only did he fix me, and the "mistakes" or, things gone wrong, he treated me with such kindness and care like no Dr. I have ever met. And his sense of humor combined with his extreme intelligence was so relieving I can't begin to tell you. I don't know how he knew, but joking around in the worst of times is very calming and makes things very familiar to me, so when I realized he was one of these people, I knew I was going to be fine. I didn't have much in the way of visitor,s or anybody with me, he made a point to stop in and talk with me, I know more than was required of him. My first surgery I never saw the Dr. other than in the operating room. Dr. Levenson was very clear and knowledgeable, he explained things to me in a manner I could relate and understand, yet he knew when it was cool to be funny. I wish they could bottle his enthusiasm and wit and give it some of these Dr.s who you are never sure if they are "there", or even give a hoot! It's been a few years since I've had my surgery, but I will never forget this great man, who I'm fairly certain, saved my life! He went above and beyond and it will always mean a great deal to me.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2014

I have had two colonoscopies and one upper endoscopy performed by Dr. Levenson. I've found him to be very capable and caring and I'd recommend him. His sense of humor is a little on the "out there" side, (coming into the waiting area saying, "now where is my next victim" and singing opera in the operating area) but I found him funny and that humor helped calm me.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

Worst doctor that I have ever met. He was rude, extremely condescending and arrogant. He literally told my husband not to ask questions! He acted like he was God, or at least, God's gift. In the ER I had no choice because it was emergency surgery. The surgery did go fine, but he was awful to deal with. Later, I told him that I wanted to see someone else for my follow up surgery, he asked why and I said that "we were not a good fit". I was very professional. He lost his temper and lectured me. He even called me again later to argue with me, telling me that he had done me a big favor by doing my surgery while he was on call for the hospital. He told me that I couldn't see any of the other 8 GI doctors in his practice. Peace Health GI group was great. Levinson has horribly unprofessional and limiting my access to the other doctors in his practice is simply unacceptable behavior. Please, do not see him. Choose someone else. Anyone else would be better, I'm certain.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2012

flag | Submitted November 15, 2011

In 1993, I went to the Yellow Pages and randomly picked Dr. Levenson to discuss various abdominal problems I had. The colonoscopy determined it was lymphocytic colitis, a nuisance disorder with bouts of uncontolable diarrhea with alternating times of constipation and eventually, I had 2 more colonoscopies. In April, 2011, I had what I believed were terribly large, painful hemhorroids. Dr. L.took one look, and shocked, he said, "I won't touch this. You have a prolapsed rectum! I'll call one of my buddies." This buddy, Dr. Pietro, saw me immediately between 2 surgeries. Two days later Dr. Pietro did the corrective surgery. After 2 nights in the hospital, I came home. Now, not even 3 weeks after surgery, I feel wonderful, everything is working, I'm exercising and walking. Dr. Levenson has never failed me. His quick action on my behalf and Dr. Pietro's response were a godsend for me and I thank them both most sincerely. Mary R. Dueck

flag | Submitted May 12, 2011

Dr. Barry Levenson's Credentials

• Mc Gill Univ, Fac Of Med, Montreal, Que, Canada (Grad. 1976)

Top Hospitals in Bellingham, WA