Ratings for Dr. Richard Stern

My son saw Dr. Stern, and he had a horrible experience. My son closed his eyes when the doctor was asking him some questions, because he was about to cry and he tried to cope with that. Dr. Stern thought he was going to sleep and he asked him to leave immediately. Obviously, this doctor is not skilled to communicate effectively with a teenager.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016

Saw Dr.Stren when I was 14-16y/o. Worst psych I've ever known. He prescribed me a medication I should have never been given, after years of being on this I started getting serious heart problems, when my Doctors tried weening me off we came to discover that my body had become completely dependent on this drug, and that is impossible for me to physically and cognitively function without it, and overall if far more dangerous for me to be off the medication. I've now been one this medication for 10 years, and I will have heart problems for the rest of my life. Always late, takes vacation without notice, completely unprofessional. never actually wanted to help people, just drug them and get them out of his office. very arrogant. Does not listen.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

I think Dr. stern has retired now. Good for him! And for everyone else.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2015

I had Dr Stern when I was a teenager and he tried to tell my mom that I was doing my attempt of suicide for attention and for boys. When I was actually was in so much pain and needed help. He treated me like I was a waste of his time and told my mom I didn't need help at all. I do not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2014

My parents made me see Dr Stern, at age 13, when they found out I was suicidal and cutting. I attended 3 sessions. #1 was introduction with my parents present. #2 I convinced him I was completely fine, and distracted him by talking about Harry Potter audio books. #3 he told my parents he didn't think I needed his help. A child should not be able to manipulate a doctor this easily. I would not recommend him to others.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2014

helped me to understand my daughters outbursts, and was helpful when kids were much younger.Ironically MOST parents of children have ADHD themseleves and so this complicateds the parents own time management when they have their own plate full and are not medicated while they breastfeed.He takes numerous vacations. Mostly perscribes meds, rather than shares time with the kids.OFTEN goes on vacation, leaving bookings up in the air (not good for adhd mom)promotes forgetfulness.THEN WE WERE FIRED!! my 15yr old son w/ Oppositional defiance, and extreme adhd(72m+10mg concerta)& DEFIANCE, gets FIRED for being defiant and not coming to appointments w/me. OBVIOUSLY we have problems getting to appointments!! As a specialist he KNOWs the symptoms of these diagnosis and he should worry about the kid and not give up on them when they need him the most. What makes me maddest about all this-- HE TEACHES AT UVIC!! Pathetic..no wonder there are no services for teens this age... Find another DR!

flag | Submitted February 2, 2014

I saw dr stern as a child. Everything he predicted over 15 years ago has come to be true. He is knowledgable and diagnosed me with opdd. I'm now an adult with two children and recently got my entire ministry record from the freedom of information act. Dr sterns reports were In them, nobody listened to him ( social workers) and now as an adult in university I'm struggling just as he predicted. He knows what he is talking about and I would listen to him

flag | Submitted December 5, 2013

Love Dr. Stern and his compassion and insights to our sons condition. I never feel rushed or hushed. I am very grateful to have him in our lives.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2013

Dr. Stern was a great psychiatrist he saw me when I was younger and helped me all through my teenage years. He is a good listener, informative, and kind. Helped save my life. You are in good hands with Richard Stern.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2013

Arrogant and difficult to get ahold of. Doesn't seem to take a holistic approach.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2013