Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel

Very personable. After another surgeon at Scripps La Jolla botched my colon surgery I came to Dr. Schultzel for a second opinion. He repaired my colon and listened to all my concerns. I now have my life back.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2018

Dr Matthew Schultzel Performed life saving surgery that could easily have left me with a colostomy for life. After a colostomy and an ileostomy and a successful reversal, due to his exceptional talent as a surgeon, I now have my life back. I could not be more grateful. I would highly recommend Dr Schultzel to any one in need of surgery.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed my colonoscopy at Scripps Encinitas Hospital. It was painless and easy. Dr. Schultzel is very comforting and very throughout. I didn’t feel a thing! I have now sent my entire family to him. Too bad he doesn’t do family deals!!!

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

Dr. Schultzel took care of my colon cancer. He was easy to talk to and was always available to speak with. The staff who took care of me speak very highly of him. I had a pain free experience and now can get on with my life.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2017

Dr Schultzel made dealing with an uncomfortable situation as easy and painless as possible. His staff was polite and helpful, and my hospital procedure went very smoothly. I would recommend him to anyone needing his specialty.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed my single incision robotic gallbladdder removal at Scripps hospital. My scar very small. Very easy recovery. Would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

Dr. Schultzel did a robotic groin hernia repair on me. It was nearly pain free. I'm back at work and feeling great.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed a colonoscopy on me at Scripps. It was painless and I slept right through. Dr. Schultzel and his staff were very professional and I felt comfortable with him.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Dr. Schultzel saved my life. I had an appendicitis, and he was on-call the day I came to the ER. I was so lucky to have him! He removed my appendix, making only one small cut below my belly button to do it. I can't even see the incision now, and I feel great! I'm already back to surfing and ocean swimming, and I'm preparing for a triathalon. I couldn't have made it through the ordeal without Dr. Schultzel's warm bedside manner, which kept me calm and optimistic that I'd recover. He is a skilled surgeon and a really nice guy. Highly recommend!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed a robotic hernia repair after a failed laparoscopic repair at UCSD. I had very little pain and his staff were very easy to deal with. Dr. "Matt" as everyone calls him has a warm bedside manner and is easily reached for questions. I'm sending my brother to him for his hernia.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Happy to provide care for General Surgery diseases as well as specialty care for diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus.

• English

• University of California San Diego (Grad. 2005)
  • Touro University (Grad. 2010)

• Colon cancer