Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel

Dr Schultzel made dealing with an uncomfortable situation as easy and painless as possible. His staff was polite and helpful, and my hospital procedure went very smoothly. I would recommend him to anyone needing his specialty.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed my single incision robotic gallbladdder removal at Scripps hospital. My scar very small. Very easy recovery. Would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

Dr. Schultzel did a robotic groin hernia repair on me. It was nearly pain free. I'm back at work and feeling great.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed a colonoscopy on me at Scripps. It was painless and I slept right through. Dr. Schultzel and his staff were very professional and I felt comfortable with him.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Dr. Schultzel saved my life. I had an appendicitis, and he was on-call the day I came to the ER. I was so lucky to have him! He removed my appendix, making only one small cut below my belly button to do it. I can't even see the incision now, and I feel great! I'm already back to surfing and ocean swimming, and I'm preparing for a triathalon. I couldn't have made it through the ordeal without Dr. Schultzel's warm bedside manner, which kept me calm and optimistic that I'd recover. He is a skilled surgeon and a really nice guy. Highly recommend!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed a robotic hernia repair after a failed laparoscopic repair at UCSD. I had very little pain and his staff were very easy to deal with. Dr. "Matt" as everyone calls him has a warm bedside manner and is easily reached for questions. I'm sending my brother to him for his hernia.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

Dr. Schultzel saved my life, literally....... and preformed an emergency Ileostomy on me in April. I found great comfort in him during a very scary health scare. I really appreciated his expert advise and surgical abilities and was lucky to have him recently reverse my Ileostomy three weeks ago. The surgery was done at Scripps La Jolla and Dr Schultzel was constantly in communication with me on my treatment plan both pre and post surgery. His staff is also amazing - very compassionate and responsive. I highly recommend Dr. Schultzel and his wonderful team!

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

He helped me through a painful hemorrhoid issue. He always was courteous and knowledgeable and my issue has resolved painlessly under his care. I am also a physician, and I strongly recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2017

Dr. Schultzel put my colostomy back together after my bowel exploded at another hospital. He was able to do the whole thing laparoscopically! I had very little pain and stayed only 2 days in the hospital. He is a saint! His staff very good. Dr. Schultzel has a warm heart and I felt like he is well trained. I was told before by another surgeon that I couldn't be put back together laparoscopically, but Dr. Schultzel proved that doctor wrong!!! I would recommend him to everyone!

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed my colon resection at Scripps Hospital La J.olla. He did a excellent job and I was in and out so fast. My recovery was quick and I had no surprises or complications because he was so informative and accurate with his explanation of the procedure and outcomes. Wish he could be my primary physician

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Happy to provide care for General Surgery diseases as well as specialty care for diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus.

• English

• University of California San Diego (Grad. 2005)
  • Touro University (Grad. 2010)

• Colon cancer