Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel

Dr. Schultzel took me into surgery 1 week after I was diagnosed with colon cancer the surgery went very well. Dr. Schultzel is a person how tells what he going to do and has a way of putting you at ease about all the procedures. I am very pleased with this Dr. Schultzel before surgery and after for my follow up care.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2018

My daughter had, over a 6 month period, on a off abdominal pain. Urgent care said not appendicitis-maybe IBS. Internist's PA said not appendicitis-maybe IBS or ovarian cyst. Internist said the same. While waiting for appointment with Gastroentinologist and Gynocologist, her symptoms became more persistent and painful and we ended up at Scripps Memorial La Jolla ER. After exam and sonogram they said not appendicitis and likely IBS. I asked for a contrast CT because it just wasn't adding up that a girl who never had gastric issue would just have this start one night. Radiologist read CT and said appendicitis and she was scheduled for surgery with Dr. Schultzel two hours later for laparoscopic surgery. Dr. S is informative and clear and answers all questions. He came to surgery waiting room and gave update on everything and showed color photos of the infected appendix prior to removal and had checked the ovaries out while in there. He checked her out following day prior to discharge and saw her for check ups at two and six weeks. Beyond that, he gave his cell Phone number to call if we had any questions or concerns. Who does that any more? My daughter recovered wonderfully with only the tiniest of scars that are fading by the day after the ordeal of unusual, chronic "smoldering" appendicitis thanks to Dr. S. Sincerely so many thanks to a man with expertise and beyond fine bedside manner.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2018

Very personable. After another surgeon at Scripps La Jolla botched my colon surgery I came to Dr. Schultzel for a second opinion. He repaired my colon and listened to all my concerns. I now have my life back.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2018

Dr Matthew Schultzel Performed life saving surgery that could easily have left me with a colostomy for life. After a colostomy and an ileostomy and a successful reversal, due to his exceptional talent as a surgeon, I now have my life back. I could not be more grateful. I would highly recommend Dr Schultzel to any one in need of surgery.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed my colonoscopy at Scripps Encinitas Hospital. It was painless and easy. Dr. Schultzel is very comforting and very throughout. I didn’t feel a thing! I have now sent my entire family to him. Too bad he doesn’t do family deals!!!

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

Dr. Schultzel took care of my colon cancer. He was easy to talk to and was always available to speak with. The staff who took care of me speak very highly of him. I had a pain free experience and now can get on with my life.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2017

Dr Schultzel made dealing with an uncomfortable situation as easy and painless as possible. His staff was polite and helpful, and my hospital procedure went very smoothly. I would recommend him to anyone needing his specialty.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed my single incision robotic gallbladdder removal at Scripps hospital. My scar very small. Very easy recovery. Would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

Dr. Schultzel did a robotic groin hernia repair on me. It was nearly pain free. I'm back at work and feeling great.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

Dr. Schultzel performed a colonoscopy on me at Scripps. It was painless and I slept right through. Dr. Schultzel and his staff were very professional and I felt comfortable with him.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Dr. Matthew M. Schultzel's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Happy to provide care for General Surgery diseases as well as specialty care for diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus.

• English

• University of California San Diego (Grad. 2005)
  • Touro University (Grad. 2010)

• Colon cancer