Ratings for Dr. Edward G. Merzig

I have been going to this Dr for several years and I am very satisfied with him. He has always been very pleasant with me and willing to try any different approaches to help my RA . He has not stopped until he found a med that would agree with me and my symptoms. All I can say is for me he is the best, and his staff very personal. .

flag | Submitted July 26, 2017

This doctor actually QUIT on me when I wasn't responding to his treatments. He's rude, obnoxious, dismissive and I would never send even my worst enemy to see him. Awful!!!

flag | Submitted April 9, 2015

I used to see another rheumatologist-associated with the large group in Albany-and was not satisfied with how slowly he was proceeding with my treatment options. Mind you, he did not think I was a full-fleshed RA patient at the time since only one marker was highly elevated. So, I decided to go to Dr. Merzig as he's the only other option in the area. He ordered tests and x-Rays. Continued me on Plaque il. Agreed with the assessment from my previous doctor-no RA diagnosis. After a few more months on the med and without relief, my first cortisone injection. It did nothing for my pain or inflammation. After 2 more months, finally a RA diagnosis and change of med, Methotrexate. It worked the first dose/week, then my symptoms came back with a vengeance. I'm on my 4th month, increased #of pills to 10 and still no relief. He did say if no relief he'd change med to a biological. Loosing faith. Honestly think I've developed fibromyalgia and he's not seeing it.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2015

Dr. Merzig is not to be trusted. I had three second opinions about his "diagnosis" of which one doctor stated he never even heard of polyarthritis. He performed an x-ray each time and his shots of cortizone did not work. The prescribed medication did not work. Dr. Merzig may be nice but he sounds more like a fake to me.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2014

I've soured on him.I try to learn about my condition; but got "inflammatory arthritis" for 12 years.He wouldn't pursue a definitive diagnosis.Says:as long as the meds are helping, that's all you need to know.I have symptoms not helped by the meds.He says bring them up with a specialist-lung,skin,ENT,gastro,neuro,dentist,allergist.My other docs suspect a particular rheumatic condition might explain everything,so I asked him if we should explore that.He quipped."You do have that" as if all along this was my diagnosis.No basis was given, no patient education. He is annoyed with questions.He orders xrays every time saying I haven't had them in some years when I had them last visit.When I ask about approaches I've read about,he tells me stuff on the internet is "fantasy, pay it no mind".When I say I read it in medical research abstracts he says "I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you."

flag | Submitted March 14, 2014

I left Dr. Merzig's office in tears multiple times. He is so very rude and spoke to me like I was a complete idiot. His office staff refused to check into what my insurance covered, so was stuck with over a $1000 lab bill after insurance. He actually yelled at me when I told him which joints ached more than the others, because he needed to know exact details (when he could have asked a specific question). He was only interested in treating joint instead of getting to the route of the issue (autoimmune). When asking questions about my diagnosis or treatment, I get "I know what I'm doing" and left with all of my unanswered questions. I do not recommend.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2014

Great doctor - tells it like it is -he took care of my dad and now me - many of my relatives go to him as well - he has a good way with us BUT speaking from experience - we all cannot like the the same manners and treatments - I would tell you try him ( I believe )you will like him. He is NOT mr manners sweet and gushy. He IS factual and no nonsense. If you decide he is not your type change drs at least you will have given yourself a shot with the best!!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2014

DO NOT SEE THIS DOCTOR. I spent so much money on tests and labs he ordered for me, and never had a correct diagnosis. He is rude and condescending during appointments, and seemed so irritated when I asked questions about my treatment or condition. He injected me with a sample of Humira (an immune suppressor drug) at my second appointment without any education on the medication, and later found out what he had given me when I called my pharmacist with questions about it. My pharmacist was shocked he hadn't educated me on the drug or tried the many other lower-risk meds that could have successfully treated my condition without suppressing my immune system & putting me at risk for serious side effects.The office hours are awful, the desk staff is incompetent, and you'll have the hardest time scheduling appointments/getting prescription refills/ hearing back from the office if you need to speak to them. NOTE: the next review will prob be super positive (left by Merzig or his staff).

flag | Submitted November 13, 2013

Dr. Merzig had been my Dr for about 5 yrs. The whole time he was very kind. He answered all my questions and if I still didn't get it, he'd explain in other ways. He actually listened to my issues and pains instead of ignoring them and diagnosing me w/out even hearing me out so they could get paid and move on to the next. I only stopped seeing him bc I had to leave the area. I'm bck now and will be calling him in hopes to pick up right where we left off. I heard that he now no longer accepts my medicaid part of my insurance (i have medicare/medicaid) but that he is willing to work with you on payments as well as not charge you $1500+ just to walk in and talk for five minutes like most. And he will see you as long as needed, and is always on time, if not you know he is running behind as soon as you arrive and even then not a long wait. I can't wait to set up an appt & see him again. I know my quality of life will be cared about and turn for the better!!

flag | Submitted November 4, 2013

I found Dr.Merzig to be very knowledgeable regarding his area of expertise however he had NO bedside manner. He was abrupt and rude and disrespectful to my concerns.I had some questions that he would not answer and then as much as accused me of going there for disability when in fact I couldn't even walk on one of my feet due to severe gout. He should never compare himself to his patients in determining their treatment. I think getting an appointment with a specialist in 4 days 2 of which were a weekend says it all unfortunately!!!! Shame on you for the way you treated me! I would not go back to see him if my life depended on it! Reported to my insurance company...

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013

Dr. Edward G. Merzig's Credentials

• Albany Medical College Of Union University (Grad. 1973)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Albany, NY