Ratings for Dr. Misti D. Balzer

Had a homebirth with Misti and would NOT recommend her. She slept on our couch the entire time and came in twice to check on me (which did NOT include doing the doppler heart monitoring and only consisted of her saying, "Hey, how's it going?"). She and Serena did not monitor my child until it was time to push. I had a longer labor than previous labors and was really having a rough time. What if something had been wrong with the baby and we didn't know until it was too late? I'm all for being crunchy and will continue to have my kids with a midwife but NOT with her EVER again. You still have to monitor! I could have died. Baby could have died. NEVER AGAIN. There are plenty of other midwives in St. Augustine who are not negligent. For the safety of myself and my children, I will be going to them. She's the nicest person you could ever meet and is knowledgeable on all the little things surrounding pregnancy and after birth but don't be fooled into thinking that means she has your best interest at heart and that when it comes to labor time, she'll be actually present as a quality medical professional. She's gotten lazy in her work and is not doing what a midwife should always do medically. Her exam room is a bed you lay on that looks like the quilt has never been washed. Nasty. Midwives are supposed to be 10 steps ahead at all times so they can prevent issues. She is taking major risks with people's lives. Go with someone else, trust me on this! I've been to several others who are way better so I know what they are supposed to do. I REGRET trying her. Thank God everything turned out ok but it easily may not have. I wish I had known how she did things.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2017

We had our second child at her birth center and loved her, her staff, and the experience. I would never go to anyone else for prenatal care. She's wonderful.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2014

I am currently under the care of Misti for my second pregnancy , she delivered my first child. I would never use another midwife, given the choice. My birth experience and level if care was incredible.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2014

SO GOOOD! As a father, I was initially skeptical about not having our first baby in the hospital. However, after meeting Misti, and going to childbirth classes, I soon felt completely confident that this is the way to approach childbirth! Misti and the rest of her staff are always friendly and helpful. Every visit, we were completely informed on any little questions we might have had about what my wife was going through. On the day of the birth, we called Misti around 1:00 am to let her know that we were getting close and needed to go to the birth center. Even though she had another birth earlier that day, she greeted us when we got there with a smile and a room ready for us. She worked with my wife perfectly in getting our almost 2-foot long son out into the world. A great experience that we're getting ready for again in just 2 more months! We strongly recommend Growing Families to any pregnant couples in the St Augustine area!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2013

horrible experience. the midwife slept while I manifested through the night. they would not refund me. we could have died that night. awful, awful.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2013