Ratings for Heather Shelley, CPM

I loved Heather! She made me feel safe and welcome

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Choosing Birthing Your Way to birth my baby at was one of the best choices of my life. My husband and I were debating other options, but ended up going with Heather and her staff because of the atmosphere, and because their birthing philosophies were in line with what we were hoping for (we're Ina May fans). The office staff here went the extra mile in helping me with billing, as my husband and I are members of a healthcare ministry, and the ministry gave us some grief with bills. But the staff patiently drafted new bill after new bill until the ministry was satisfied with what we submitted (I think there were 5 or 6 different iterations). I never felt that the appointments were rushed, and often felt guilty that sometimes I would go over on my time for the appointment because I had so many questions (there were other staff there to start the next appointment after mine if there was one, so the next lady wasn't waiting for me to finish). I had two different complications that were problematic but not life-threatening, and they would move my prenatal appointment with less than a 24 hour notice in order to accommodate these problems. Heather also called me after hours to ask about my condition and to offer help and advice. They made a special note in my file that I didn't want a Doppler used unless there was an emergency, and I could hear Heather reminding the other midwives at my appointment each time I came in. She really went the extra mile for me. The birth itself went wonderfully. The midwives have you fill out a paper that asks what your expectations and wants are for when you go into labor, and they were very accommodating with what I had written down. There was always at least one midwife with me once my labor intensified, and they were very supportive throughout the whole experience. They gave my husband tips/instructions on how to help support me through my labor, which made him feel much more a part of the whole experience. After we came home from the center, my husband told me how grateful he was that we had our baby there, since he got to be much more involved than just holding my hand. The postpartum support has been invaluable, as this is our first baby and I'm navigating the new world of caring for a new baby and breastfeeding. I've called in with many questions, and Heather has always gone out of her way to respond to my worries (even going as far as texting with me during a business meeting that she had because I was worried about an umbilical cord infection). Another plus about this place is that they can offer more natural remedies for problems, and they're also able to offer traditional "Western" medication if you prefer that instead. I would often try the less invasive treatment first, and then move on to the stronger medication if I thought I needed it. I have to say, there is a problem with Birthing Your Way though, and that is that there's an end to the postpartum appointments! I wish I could just keep popping in there periodically forever! I'm sad to say that I have my last appointment tomorrow. I know that I wouldn't have had the courage to go through with a natural birth if I hadn't had the support of the Birthing Your Way staff. This was my first baby, I was able to birth without any medications or interventions even though I had a lot of family trying to discourage me from going the natural route. My labor only lasted for about 3 hours after I arrived at the center, and I know it's because I felt so comfortable and supported there. Stop fretting and reading reviews and get your prego booty down to Birthing Your Way! They'll give you a free tour of the place to help you decide!

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

I had my baby just over a month ago at Birthing Your Way. This is my second baby and I had the first in the hospital. The hospital wasn't horrible for me, but for my second, I wanted to try something a bit more comfortable and somewhere where I knew that their views were in line with my birth plan. The first time I met Heather was at a prenatal appointment when the assistant midwife was having a hard time finding my baby's heart beat. Heather came in to help and was very reassuring. She found the heartbeat right away. And when my baby came Heather was the one who was there the most. She knew exactly what to do when my baby's shoulders got stuck and reassured me that the baby was doing well. I also tore and she was very knowledgeable about how to stitch me up. I would (and already have) recommend Heather and Birthing Your Way to others.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

I love Heather and all of the staff working with her at Birthing Your Way! I only ever have positive experiences when it comes to her!

flag | Submitted September 9, 2016

I had a wonderful experience with birthing your way as well as with Heather. She is very knowledgable in what she does and truly cares about you and your situation. I felt very safe delivering my child with her and continue to seek advice from her now.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

I have only good things to say about Heather Shelley. One thing that impressed me most about Heather was her extensive knowledge of her field- she always had answers for my questions! I learned so many pregnancy tips and tricks from her. An excellent provider is more then just what she knows and Heather is an excellent provider. Had we not moved out of state I never would have gone to anyone else. Every chance I get to recommend Heather, I do!- with excitement and certainty. I loved everything about my experience with Heather: the prenatal appointments, the birth support, the postpartum care and the friendship and feeling of security through out my pregnancy. I greatly suggest you look more into using Heather as your care provider. You will not be disappointed.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2016

I can not sing her praises enough. She and her team are so helpful. Even if things don't go as plan (because hey you're giving birth here. It's not always predictable) they stay calm and talk you through it. I'm so grateful I had this team behind me in two beautiful births! They will always be like family to me!

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016

I had a wonderful experience with Heather and the team, I would definitely recommend them and I would definitely %100 go back to them

flag | Submitted July 7, 2016

After having 7 children, 4 in a hospital and 3 as home births, I know a great deal about understanding that a birth plan does not always go as planned. I also know that thanks to Birthing Your Way, Heather and her midwives that when it does not go as planned they are hands down the midwives I am glad I had around when it did not go as planned the first time around. I had my first homebirth with Heather and due to a Dr error PRIOR TO switching to Heather they missed my sons cleft palate. When he was born he was gray and not breathing well. I saw Heather demonstrate her experience and knowledge as she stabilized my son before I was transfered. I know because of her skill set and knowledge she saved my son...even the EMT was super impressed. Because my visits were so awesome and I felt so cared for I did not fear for myself or my son because I knew what Heather and her team were capable of. My second home birth with Heather and her team was amazing. I had so much support, my husband and children were all involved and I was able to labor in the water. One complaint by another reviewer was that she did not stick around the whole time. I loved that I was able to not be bothered 24/7 like at a hospital. I went through the journey of labor with my family by me and the support of the midwives near by and 100% hands on when I needed it. I found that communicating my needs gave the balance of support without feeling like I was being hovered over the whole time. Post partum care was just as great! We have since had our 7th baby and I was sad realizing that Heather and her team would not be there (we moved to another state). Hands down I will always reccomend Heather and the midwives at Birthing Your Way. They are professional, knowledgeable, caring, involved, helpful, and understand birth in a way that gives women the tools to understand what their bodies can do.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016

I enjoyed my birth experience at birthing your way. Heather Shelley was not the attending midwife at the birth, but I had some pretty major tearing and she came and did the stiching. I was terrified of being stiched up, but she did an amazing job and I didn't feel a thing. I felt that Heather Shelley and her staff cared about me, and I felt safe with them. When I had questions or health issues that arose during my pregnancy, I called them and was able to get help and information that addresseday my concerns and helped those issues go away. The times I saw Heather Shelley at appointments and classes she always was kind, knowledgeable, and fun to be around. The midwives rotate who will be on call, so during my pregnancy I met with just about all of them which was nice. I plan to go to them for my next pregnancy.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2016