Ratings for Dr. Jennifer L. Rector

Awful. Extremely unprofessional and discouraging of anyone/anything that does not fit her views 100%. She is overconfident and undereducated and underprepared. Do not recommend.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

Jen is an amazing resource for any pregnant mother and is doing groundbreaking work in our area. She recently opened Virginia's first freestanding birthing center. At her old office her desk was messy but her space was always sanitary and her appointments feel like therapy sessions on top of a detailed physical. Jen is not perfect but she's doing what she is meant to do and there is no other woman I would like b my side as I birth my babies. Her transfer rates are average for the area. She is a traveling midwife so her appt times are in flux but she always communicates and even drove over an hour to do appointments in my home.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

I was very unsatisfied with her attentiveness and care in general she was very flighty and unfocused. Her office space was cluttered and dirty and the space that she would give exam was small cramped and not very Sant and not very sanitary. I do not recommend her as a midwife.

flag | Submitted October 18, 2015

Jennifer rector and her students assisted me in my first son birth on 9-9-09 and the birth of my second son on 9-24-10.I honestly couldn't have asked for a better midwife. She wasn't always on time but that is to be expected of a midwife if you have a regular appointment and someone is in labor or having a problem that is obviously more important. My husband was deployed during my second pregnancy and the ladies were so supportive. Haley was there any time I needed help or someone to talk to. Jenni is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful! They are overall amazing ladies!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2015

I was very displeased with Jeni's attitude, and I question her knowledge about evidence-based care. Jeni promoted the fact that she accepted Medicaid. During prenatal care, high blood pressure readings and slight protein in the urine were met by her unusual advice. For high blood pressure, she recommended that I "eat a whole chicken." When I had unusual symptoms of labor onset (I didn't know I was actually in labor at the time), she seemed bothered by my phone call and recommended I go to the hospital if I was worried. At the hospital I discovered I was considered in active labor and was encouraged to stay. I was grateful that Jeni sent one of her student midwives to attend my birth as a doula, but she said discouraging things over the phone, like "I thought you wanted a homebirth" and "you're in the hospital so they're going to want to section you." Later I saw her complain on Facebook about how her Medicaid patients had cost her so much income.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2014

Jeni was one of the most unprofessional care providers I've ever come across. While, as a midwife, you expect her to be more personable than a typical OB, she crosses boundaries and over-extends her stay often. She is incredibly inattentive during birth and will see a problem with a labor and won't try to come up with a solution other than HOSPITAL. She has a high hospital transfer rate and she'll tell you it's because she takes on more high risk pregnancies and because she takes on Medicare clients, but it's because she is not attentive during labor. And she won't try other things. She is very hands off, but to the point where she won't offer ANY advice or help or tips or guidance during labor until you've hit that point where you MUST goto the hospital because you are so angry with her that you've completely blocked yourself from progressing. IF I COULD GIVE HER AN OVERALL RATING FOR HER SERVICES, SHE WOULD RECEIVE A 1. HANDS DOWN. SHE DOES NOT DESERVE MORE THAN THAT.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2013

I have had 4 children born while Jenni Rector was attending as midwife or an assistant. I would have had twins with her as well if I had not gone into premature labor at 28 weeks. No, she was not always punctual for every single one of my appointments but when I needed her she was there or sent one of her assistants ASAP! I have never questioned her knowledge or expertise. Her handling of different situations and of me was not always clinical but that is definaty why I wanted a midwife and not a hospital birth. I prefer having a friend help me in labor and delivery than just who ever is on staff at the hospital when I come in. If you decide to hire Jenni Rector as your midwife, you may miss a few opportunities to pee on a urine strip because she had to rush to a birth but I promise you will have a birth to remember and a friend for life.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2013

I could not have been more pleased with Jeni and her staff! They were loving, supportive and an all around JOY! The poster above mentioned that her appointments were shifted and that does happen a lot but since I wanted them to be available for my birth at all costs, I allowed them to be available for other births at all cost. Of her staff, Haley was the person I interacted with the most. She handled my payment plan and scheduled my appointments. (There was a a few weeks when things were a little chaotic as Haley had a family emergency to attend to leaving Jeni over loaded and short handed. Haley was apologetic and offered an explanation for her abrupt absents upon return. She and Jeni were in our thoughts and prayers while Haley was out.) I wouldn't recommend another homebirth team in Hampton Roads!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2012

I liked Jeni & her staff at our first consultation. She seemed a little spacey but that was one of the things that made me more comfortable with her. We scheduled my first appt & I was very excited. I arrived at my appt early & the office was locked. I assumed that they were just running late, a bit after my appt time, I called Jeni & she explained that an emergency had happened & they just hadn't been able to keep track of the appts that day. We rescheduled my appt for about a week later, at my home. 3 days before my appt, within about 4 hours, my appt time was rescheduled 4 times. On the day of my appt, she was an hour & a half late. Jeni looked generally unhappy at the appt & I was frustrated. I asked her how often this situation happens & she said I should always expect them to be an hour late. We scheduled our next appt & I received a rejection letter in the mail with paragraphs of negative comments on myself and family. I felt criticized & rejected when I wanted to feel support.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2012