Ratings for Dr. Sebastian Rodriguez-Elizalde

OMG!!! What a difference from my previous hip surgery done 5 years ago ( with another top surgeon in a Toronto Hospital). Dr. Rodriguez & his team were thoughtful, calm & really listened to my pain issues. I have had both a THR & a TKR before. Brutal pain after surgery & for several days after. Afraid to stop morphine pump even though it was not very effective. I had my second THR on Mon Sept 19th, 2016., with Dr. Rodriguez, using his anterior approach. Seamless pain control. Tuesday morning, the physiotherapist noted I would be discharged this same day & we better get to it!! Alarmed, I voiced that I wished people would stop saying that....there was no way I was leaving soon, let alone today! At this point I had not even been to the edge of the bed. With a walker, we proceeded down a long hall. Still skeptical but fairly comfortable I then did a whole flight of stairs & back down. Back in my room, I could use the bathroom easily. I gingerly packed a few things, sat in a chair & called my husband. Come get me at 1 pm. Day & Night from my other experiences. A small miracle of sorts. I am on day 6 now. Doing the exercises, stairs with a cane only, quire comfortable during the day. A couple of nights were more like a pain level of 6 so I took the strongest med given. I sit outside reading in my zero-gravity recliner during these sunny fall days. My bandage comes off tomorrow. I have showered myself, and am able to stand in the kitchen long enough to achieve something. OH... And my legs are the same length again!! I had lost almost 3 inches of length on my right leg. That made every other joint hurt, and I was lurching around instead of walking for months. The private hospital room Humber River Hospital, new site) was nice, with a sitting area for visitors if I had stayed long enough to have any. Never even tried the food! My 2 nurses were excellent, Pauline & Andrea. The main thing is "Get this Anterior Hip Surgery". With Dr. Rodriguez . I waited 9 months for each of my 3 joint replacements. Too long Ontario. Each surgery was a cancellation . If I had received a realistic date when already suffering, with my leg collapsing, months of suffering could have been avoided. I am still very lucky to have been given my opportunity with Dr. Rodriguez and his superior method. Thankyou too Verna. Barbara

flag | Submitted September 24, 2016

Excellent surgeon. I had a total knee done July/14. My surgery was complicated by an undiagnosed bleeding disorder. He knew this going in and I was grateful as I had many many knee bleeds prior for a year requiring draining of my knee. The surgery went well, went home day 3. My knee beld and by the beginning of week 3 I was in unbearable pain and my knee was very swollen with blood. Efforts to get his attention also Jenn`s attention failed. The oxy was doing nothing and I was crying all the time. Still could not get his attention and I sent pictures of my very swollen knee which he deemed as "normal." I tripped and fell on it which burst the whole incision open and the wound was gaping open and I could see the metal and plastic parts. After that, another surgery, a vac dressing antibiotics and an 8 day hospital stay. He told me I should apologise to Jenn (maybe I was desparate). Everything included today I have a knee that is pain free and bends very well. My bleeding disorder is now followed by D. Michelle Schlozberg at St. Mikes. I have aome kind of hemophilia and she promised me to get to the bottom of it and how to stop it. I have had bleeds since my Knee surgery related to trauma. It was not Dr. Rodriguez`s fault I had bleeding and he did the best he could in spit of these complications.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2016

Amazing doctor I had a femur surgery back in July 2015 full femur fracture I was walking with in 3 Months and I feel great best surgeon ever thanks doc

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

Dr Rodriguez performed a full knee replacement on me on February 28th 2016. I had an epidural anaesthetic and the moment I came round my knee already felt better than it had done for years before. Excellent care by my nurse, Helene, and very good physio at Humber prior to my release 2 days later, had me walking out of the hospital wearing a backpack with my personal belongings. I was driving my gear shift car within 3 weeks of surgery and it has only got better from there. I vacationed and walked a lot in the BC mountains in April and recently returned from a low-key hiking holiday in France. Thank you Dr Rodriguez for such excellent work!

flag | Submitted August 17, 2016

Can't say enough . Had total knee replacement 8 weeks ago back walking no pain even light tennis hitting. Great surgeon and hospital .

flag | Submitted August 3, 2016

Dr Rodriguez is the most professional, dedicated, understanding, companionate, caring, attentive doctor I have met in my entire life. He has spent time twice to explain the entire procedure of my hip replacement. The operation was in June 2016 and I am extremely happy with it. Any time when I have question he is answering. He is Amazing!

flag | Submitted July 20, 2016

Did an awesome knee replacement on my knee. Very personable.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2016

Dr Rodriguez-Elizalde is an excellent surgeon and I know it well; I operated with him on number of occasions . He has my full confidence.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2016

I wrote about Dr Rodriguez initially on May 10 (see below) prior to my surgery. As you can see I was very pleased with his care leading into the surgery. Yesterday at 1 pm I had the total right hip replacement at Humber River and was out today at 11 am. I am currently sitting at my kitchen table writing this and haven't bothered to take a pain killer. This new Anterior approach seems to be very effective for the right candidates. Further to the innovation from a health science point of view, I will once again talk about the wonderful service and bedside manner that his office delivers. The entire surgical team was tremendous. Nurse Mary who handled all my prep work for the 90 minutes prior to surgery was delightful and knew her stuff. My Anesthetist, Dr Tania (she invited me to use her first name when I fouled up pronunciation of her surname), was incredibly friendly, patient and empathetic. I willingly contrasted her wonderful manner with the anesthetist I saw at the pre surgery screening a couple weeks prior who was extremely arrogant and impatient. Wow what a difference. Dr. Rodriguez also had a fellow Ortho in that day to assist and his name was Shane (first name) he was also very friendly and fit right In with the team. The main scrub nurse' s name I don't recall as I was a little overwhelmed at the point I was looking into her eyes. But in my brief encounter she too played a very caring role. Thanks "Dr Tania" , Shane, head nurse and Mary. These folks are not members of Dr Rodriguez's team per se as they are professionals employed separately by Humber but it's no coincidence that the real good ones end up in the same environment. Dr Rodriguez visited with me for 20 minutes prior to the surgery and answered all the questions I asked, then patiently answered the same questions when my wife rejoined me in the room. The next time I saw him he had his 'game face' on in the OR directing his team with confidence and respect. Then I was asleep. Thank god. Dr Rodriguez visited me in recovery for 10 minutes posed for a FB shot (what other surgeons do that?) and patiently answered the same questions I'm sure he has answered literally close to 1,000 times or maybe a few more. The next day (Saturday morning) Dr Rodriguez visited me in my hospital room once again to go over the surgery more thoroughly given that I was a much more alert. All requisitions for meds, CCA and physio were typed out by his great office staff (Jenn and Verna) and ready to go. Again, phase two, being the operation itself was a wonderful experience delivered by true professionals. I will be happy to write back and report on the rehab which is anticipated to be much shorter and with far less complexities than the 'traditional' approach. More on that in 6 weeks or so.........thanks once again for all involved. Thrilled with the service.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2016

After having my knee stitches out, he said, I was ready to go dancing, and that my crutches were just for show!!...not sure if he meant to be funny or if he was just being sarcastic . All I can say, it has been a month and a half and till this day, I have not been able to go to work, I'm still having difficulty walking, sitting, can't bend my knee...so I had to start physio to get my leg moving. Sadly, "Top Doctor" sent me home without referring me for physio nor taking the extra steps to make sure I was okay, like sending me for X-rays, Ultrasound ...very disappointed!!!

flag | Submitted May 25, 2016