Ratings for Dr. Ka Wai Yam

Dr. Yam inherited me as a patient when my former GP retired, and I feel like I won the family doctor lottery. Over the 5 years I've been seeing her, she's been absolutely wonderful. She's helped me proactively manage my health, and for more significant issues (e.g. for what turned out to be a borderline ovarian tumour), she's been very prompt in sending me for tests, explaining what the results mean, and referring me to very good specialists or surgeons as needed. I've had 4 surgeries in 5 years and she's followed up with after the surgery each time. Dr Yam is friendly and open, patient, and empathetic. She's efficient, but never makes me feel that she's rushing the appointment; I'm always able to have my questions and concerns addressed at each appointment. I've found her to be very knowledgeable about all the issues I've seen her about, and willing to refer when it's beyond her expertise to treat. Dr Yam's staff - such as her assistant Grace - are lovely too, and keep the office running so well. Even at the end of the day, it's rare that I wait more than 5 minutes before seeing the doctor. I particularly appreciate how considerate Dr Yam and her staff are of their patient's time. She will write me a year's worth of a standard prescription so that I don't have to keep coming back to the office. Absolutely wonderful doctor and staff!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2016

Dr. Yam is pleasant, listens, up to date, and very knowledgeable. She's the best Dr. I've had and am very thankful she's my Dr. My previous Dr. retired and I really lucked out.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

she is ok but sometimes too rush and talks too fast... although she do answer all your questions but you have a time limit

flag | Submitted February 21, 2016

I am a patient that Dr. Yam inherited from retiring Dr. Haussmann. Dr. Yam has been fantastic. helpful, caring, demonstrating a partnership with me in caring for my ongoing health.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

She is extremely friendly and puts me at ease every time I see her. She is easy to talk to and understands my health problems in a a way that other doctors have not. She is a gem of an MD!

flag | Submitted November 7, 2015

She actually cares about her patients. Great family doctor.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2015

Dr. Yam is a skilled physician and a kind generous person. She patiently addresses each of my questions and I trust her treatment recommendations. I am fortunate to have her as my family doctor.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

Doctor Yam has a fat bias which can seriously negatively impact the quality of the healthcare you receive if you are overweight or obese.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2015

Dr. Yam is an excellent GP. I usually have a list of questions to ask her each visit, and she is always gracious and answers my queries to my satisfaction. I feel fortunate to have her as my GP.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2014

Warning to overweight or obese patients. Dr Yam has a fat bias which will affect how she medically treats you. My former physician's fat bias led to her prescribe a dangerous weight loss medication for me even when I had no problems caused by my obesity. The resulting rapid weight loss and regain led to my developing a fatty liver and an eating disorder. Dr. Yam also has a fat bias which leads her to ignore the issue you are going to see her for and prescribe weight loss diet treatment, which is the LAST thing a physician should do if a patient has an eating disorder. If you are overweight or obese, find a doctor who doesn't have a fat bias. They are hard to find, but less likely to have a negative impact on your health.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2014