Ratings for Dr. Ka Wai Yam

Dr Yam is very good MD, I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes for last 3 years and she took me on as a patient after my previous doctor since 1986 retired, the staff are always pleasant with me, although they do keep you on hold for quite awhile sometimes when you are trying to book an appointment, but that is the unfortunate thing about a busy doctors office. I feel Dr Yam is very Empathic and genuinely interested in helping you get healthy. Like most patients on this site I wish the appointments were a little bit longer but that too is a side effect of a busy and popular Doctor, and yes I wish she was available 5 days a week but she has a child and family too, and being a doctor is sometimes a stressful job...

flag | Submitted March 15, 2018

Staff is not kind, emphatic or helpful on the phone. They put you on hold for a long time. Don't listen or care. My child was misdiagnosed by doctor 3 times, 2 of which we ended up in emergency as we did not get help in a reasonable time so child got worse. One time we were lucky as we had paediatrician referral still valid so we went to paediatrician and got the immediate help and relief of symptoms. Also at emergency paediatrician doctors were surprised that GP advised a supplement for my child that was recommended only for 6 year olds and up. My child deserves more care than it gets. We wasted so much time coming over just to be sent home and in the end end up in emergency. Doctor is also available only 3 days a week and replacement doctors are junior and not helpful with a child knowledge or care. When I asked a replacement doctor for referral to paediatrician because I was not getting any answers nor help as they did not do any analysis and test which 811 link thought is obvious, the doctor first declined it although we were having the same issue for the 3 weeks or more and kept coming and asking for help. After I raised issues with previous miss-diagnosis and zero tests done, she changed her mind and gave me referral. This is a wrong practice when dealing with a child. I would not recommend this doctor or replacement doctors for children. Every child should be allowed paediatrician help if doctor is not able to treat or knowledgeable to issue tests and do analysis to help a child in timely manner before escalating to emergency.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

She is the best family doctor I could ask for. All of the good things folks say about her on this website are absolutely true. So thankful to be her patient.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Dr. Yam has a great bedside manner, remembers who you are as a patient and listens to your problems. She seems genuinely interested and cares about you. I have seen her for 5+ years and she always had my best interest at heart. Highly recommended!

flag | Submitted May 29, 2017

Dr.Ka Wai Yam is not a good doctor nor the staff are organized or pleasant on the phone. The receptionist are very rude and no phone manners. Very hard to get an appointment. Dr Ka Wai Yam does not listen always have negative things to say to the patient and rushes out of the room. When I have concerns about my health never says anything nice. Did not get a good vibe with this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

Dr. Yam inherited me as a patient when my former GP retired, and I feel like I won the family doctor lottery. Over the 5 years I've been seeing her, she's been absolutely wonderful. She's helped me proactively manage my health, and for more significant issues (e.g. for what turned out to be a borderline ovarian tumour), she's been very prompt in sending me for tests, explaining what the results mean, and referring me to very good specialists or surgeons as needed. I've had 4 surgeries in 5 years and she's followed up with after the surgery each time. Dr Yam is friendly and open, patient, and empathetic. She's efficient, but never makes me feel that she's rushing the appointment; I'm always able to have my questions and concerns addressed at each appointment. I've found her to be very knowledgeable about all the issues I've seen her about, and willing to refer when it's beyond her expertise to treat. Dr Yam's staff - such as her assistant Grace - are lovely too, and keep the office running so well. Even at the end of the day, it's rare that I wait more than 5 minutes before seeing the doctor. I particularly appreciate how considerate Dr Yam and her staff are of their patient's time. She will write me a year's worth of a standard prescription so that I don't have to keep coming back to the office. Absolutely wonderful doctor and staff!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2016

Dr. Yam is pleasant, listens, up to date, and very knowledgeable. She's the best Dr. I've had and am very thankful she's my Dr. My previous Dr. retired and I really lucked out.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2016

she is ok but sometimes too rush and talks too fast... although she do answer all your questions but you have a time limit

flag | Submitted February 21, 2016

I am a patient that Dr. Yam inherited from retiring Dr. Haussmann. Dr. Yam has been fantastic. helpful, caring, demonstrating a partnership with me in caring for my ongoing health.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

She is extremely friendly and puts me at ease every time I see her. She is easy to talk to and understands my health problems in a a way that other doctors have not. She is a gem of an MD!

flag | Submitted November 7, 2015