Ratings for Dr. Joey L. Pascarella

Birthing with Joey was an awesome, empowering experience. It was my fourth birth overall and third homebirth. She was a comforting presence and not at all intrusive like previous providers had been. I feel fortunate that another friend of mine had recommended her. It saddened me to learn that her license was suspended. I wish I could have had the chance to speak up for her. Things can go wrong in hospital births too and patients can fall through the cracks, as I learned with my first. As for charges that she was late to appointments, well, many midwives and doctors often are. When we needed her, Joey was there for us and then some. Best wishes to her.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2014

Don't go to this midwife she has had her Maryland license suspended and will lose her license in VA. She knows nothing.

Submitted January 23, 2013

Worst birthing experience ever. I wish I had followed the advice of other poor reviews - maybe my baby wouldn't be in the NICU as I type. Joey was always late to appointments but I looked past it. My water broke, Joey instructed me to go back to bed. Called her again the next day when contractions started, she came with her assistant and a student and waited while I went through contractions. Slept on my couch, ate some of my food, then in the morning told me to take a walk and call her when contractions pick up. That evening, they did and she returned with just her assistant. Joey broke the rest of my water then waited some more. I started pushing for what was going to end up being more than 12 hours. I asked Joey several times when does it end? When is it too much and I'm supposed to go to the hospital. She just kept saying I was doing great and that the baby is almost here. Due to lack of characters, I'll sum it up with: both myself and my baby almost died. Get a lawyer is my advice

flag | Submitted January 16, 2013

Excellent! Very knowledgeable when unexpected situations arose. Good follow-up and communication via phone and email. Hope to use her again in the future!

flag | Submitted August 30, 2012

Joey is a 100% professional and I homebirthed with her twice, and would use her a million times again. She is kind, calm, considerate, knowledgeable, always available. We adore her.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2012

Joey was an awful midwife. During the interview process she seemed lovely. I saw a couple bad reviews for her online, but I ignored them. I wish I had listened. At the interview, she assured me she was licensed in Virginia. Prenatal appts were all fine (always late though). Joey was awful during my labor! Lots of personality quirks that I don't have the space to go into with this comment box. The most important aspect is that she told me I was 7 cm based on internal check, broke my water (with permission) then, a couple hours later, left to go home to feed her dogs (she lives 1 hour away in Maryland). She was gone for 9 hours. I lost all trust in her and was so displeased that I transferred to the hospital. My baby had breathing problems due to possible infection at home. He spent 8 days in the NICU. I have filed a complaint against her, and from what I understand there is already a formal investigation being done on her.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2012

For my second delivery, I decided on a home birth. During my entire labor process Joey was on the phone. After delivery I hemmorhaged and passed out, although I was given medicine, I continued to bleed and was unable to get up. My daughter, who was large at birth, had low blood sugar. The first time Joey tested her, she was in the high 20's. At this point my husband gave her formula from a syringe. A hour or so later Joey retested my daughter and her blood sugar was 27 and she left. Not long after, I called Joey because I was still bleeding and my daughter was still shaking (from low blood sugar). I was told not to call an ambulance. The ambulance was called by a family member, Joey had left. I spent 4 days in the hospital and was offered a blood transfusion. My daughter spent a week in the NICU. I was told by the NICU doctor she was within hours of suffering brain damage from low blood sugar. Joey's website offers birth statistics my daughter is not included in her numbers.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2011