Ratings for Betty M. Cox

Betty M. Cox has her own agenda and birth plans for you before you can even try to suggest what you want or even if you don’t know she pushes you into what you should do. I got stuck with her and never should have, in my Last Trimester I voiced my concerns over how I was feeling and knew something was wrong, I lost my baby and I do blame her for not taking all my concerns seriously. She just sat there and stayed quiet when there was no heartbeat.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2019

Betty Cox Cnm has always been pleasant, knowledgeable about a woman’s body She delivered my baby and I couldn’t have been more happy A++++ I trust her more than anyone because she has seen it all... she is honest and open to me needs

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

I had Betty Cox as a midwife in April- January 2016. Our baby girl was born January 4. I was 35 when I found out I was expecting. I am surprised to read these reviews and feel I must share my fantastic experience with her. She was very helpful and knowledgeable. I can only imagine that it must be standard of care to require blood testing and vaccinations. I think many people don't realize how serious having a baby can be. It doesn't always end well for one reason or another. Also lawsuits are always a threat in any profession and so protocol would always need to follow whether she's a midwife in a hospital or in a private setting. I only say these things because it took me to see a fertility specialist to have a baby and so I see more of the medical professionals side of this equation. It was unfortunate for me to find out too that whatever midwife was on staff the day of delivery was who was going to deliver our baby. I was really hoping it was going to be Betty Cox. That's why I'm a little confused as to how she would get the chance to even say "No! You need to go to Zion!" I don't think she really cares (lol) as she delivers babies for a living and if you happen to be there when she is you just got lucky to see her familiar and friendly face. I really feel that I need to defend her here because these reviews just aren't an accurate description of what I experienced. I had even declined a pap smear and she gave me no problem whatsoever about that. I think though the more tests you refuse to take you eventually have to see a M.D. because midwives are for people who have no complications and she needs to make sure she tests for all possible complications. It is unfortunate because we all want our midwives but one positive test or two and that can pose fatal for mom/baby. I can't think of anything worse than a baby dying inside of me because I didn't get a flu shot or even worse....a permanent disability from not taking care of the preventive testing measures. Theres actually medical reasons for these things. If anything midwives try to prevent horrible things like c-sections but sometimes especially in first time deliveries you don't always get to follow your "birth plan." All of these things aside though Betty is an awesome and personable person! She has a great personality and is funny too! I really wish she could've been there to catch our baby. My husband got a kick out of her too.

flag | Submitted October 10, 2017

I had Betty Cox for my first prenatal appointment. We walk in, and the room was filthy... there was bloody sheets still on the bed from the previous appointment. The nurse shuffled to clean them up and put fresh ones down, not even sanitizing anything. Betty Cox came in, and she seemed fine at first. As the appointment went on, she was VERY pushy with forcing the flu shot on me as well as other vaccinations. I explained to her I was not comfortable getting either while pregnant, and that the Flu shot I can't even get because I get really sick from it. Her response was "Well, that happens to everyone." I told her how I had a past with miscarriages, so I really wanted to keep my immune system up and good, so again, no, I would not take the flu shot, as it made me terribly sick. As the appointment went on, she talked A LOT, did not let me get any words in or questions, and whenever I finally would get to ask a question, she would interrupt me and go onto another subject. She asked me what hospital I wanted to deliver at, I told her Palomar and she goes "NO! You need to go to Zion, as that is where I deliver!" I told her I live far North and did not want to do the drive all the way to SD. The next topic was her asking if I wanted to do genetic testing... I told her no. She gave me the paper anyways in case I changed my mind, and told me if I stick to not wanting the genetic testing, than to just not bring it in when I get blood work done. She then tells me I have to get blood work done. I ended up switching doctors, and in between the visits, had my blood work done. I never brought the Genetic testing paperwork. Got the bill a month later and they had done the genetic testing, even after I told them no! I called to question it, and they told me, that she had put in the order, to do all of the genetic testing... So I was then billed almost $600 just for that. I ended up getting this amount taken off, as I found out I am not the only one she has done this to. PLEASE DO NOT SEE BETTY COX. She shouldn't even be considered a midwife, as she is anything but all natural, and pushes horrible things on you, that you decline. Anyways, in the end, she is very unprofessional... doesn't listen to your wants and needs, very pushy, and my overall experience was awful with her.

Submitted August 9, 2017

I'm well educated on natural childbirth vs. intervention but Betty did her best to discourage me from my natural birth plan saying I shouldn't believe everything I read and should trust the hospitals ways more. She made me feel like my body isn't adequate enough to pull this labor off though I have had a perfect pregnancy and show zero signs of distress. She was impersonal during my visits forgetting any detail we had discussed previously. She was a little all over the place and ditzy to be honest. She seemed unsure of some of the questions I would ask and would answer in vague terms using words like " I think " leaving me feeling doubtful and causing me to seek my own education. I'm glad I have friends and family to support me and boost my moral and spirits back up. I truly wish I could go to a birthing center or have a home birth where the midwives understand that a woman's body is designed to birth!

Submitted September 6, 2013