You may also like

Rate Dr. Ron Remick

Dr. Ron Remick's Ratings

Dr Remick is genuinely kind and smart, but his approach to psychiatry is very dangerous. He ascribes to the neurochemical and biological models of depression, and provides a simplistic, and dualistic approach. I don't disagree that medication can be very helpful in treating mental illness and mood disorders, but it should never, ever be the front line treatment for anxiety and depression, it should always be the last line of defense. I have other issues with his approach, in that he prescribes benzodiazepines, such as clonazepam or ativan, for long term use. This is against prescribing guidelines, and it is extremely dangerous and often leads to addiction. Benzodiazepines have no place in long term psychiatric treatment. My other problem is that he has treated depression using stimulant medication such as dexedrine. This is also extremely dangerous, considering how addictive these medications are, and it shows a very stunted understanding of suffering, and the human condition! A very bad thing to have in a psychiatrist. Treating depression with dexedrine is akin to treating depression with crystal meth. Dexedrine, benzodiazapines, and crystal meth always cause more harm in the long term, that's why they should NEVER be used in the treatment of mood disorders. Don't ever trust a doctor who can't understand that. Other medications such as anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and mood stabilizers have much more sustainable long term effects, and are acceptable to use long term. However they should still only be used as a last resort, and the whole person, body and mind must be considered when it comes to treatment. The biological model of depression is regressive, outdated, and far too narrow to provide effective treatment.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2911779].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 2, 2015

Dr. Remick is the best. He has a very progressive approach to psychiatry. He actually listens and genuinely wants to help. He let's me try the medications I want to try, as opposed to other doctors who let me have no say in which drugs they decide to put me on. I've made more progress with my depression in only two sessions with Dr. Remick then I have in the two years prior with my other doctor(s) simply because he asked me "what do YOU think we should do at this point?". No other doc asked me that, and would disregard any of my requests or suggestions. He didn't treat me like a child. I told him what I thought we should do, and he found my idea to be reasonable and agreed, so that's what we did... Lone behold, the medication that I wanted to try, is working like a miracle.

He listens and treats you like an adult.

I can't possibly imagine what the couple negative reviews are all about. All I can say is that I've talked to countless other patients of his at MDA and they all love him.

In short, Dr. Remick is probably the best psychiatrist in Canada!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2896079].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 15, 2015

Dr. Remick is sincerely the kindest doctor I have seen in my 50 years. He always has a smile and is reassuring that things will get better. I truly don't know how he get out of bed everyday to come to work to see the likes of 'me' . he always made me feel like I was his only patient.

Never have I seen a doctor respond to emails on a weekend or refills so fast.

I hope you have a wonderful retirement, you deserve it, you have served the community above and beyond.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2778807].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

Absolutely the best doctor - and warmest person - I have ever known in many many years of treatment for mood disorders. Unsurpassed kindness, treats patients like human beings, unbelievably available to help & answer questions. Puts so much into helping patients - you lose hope, you see him again, and against every expectation find you are hopeful again. Has accomplished so much to help people at MDABC and established ways for people to get timely help when before it wasn't even possible to find a psychiatrist who had an open waiting list.
He will be greatly missed upon his retirement - nobody can fill those shoes. A truly good and inspirational human being.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2647769].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 9, 2014

i went to a gmv just to meet the man, knowing full well he's retiring by year's end. because he's left a lasting legacy in his field. i went to meet the guy and shake his hand.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2570520].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 9, 2014

I have been seeing Dr. Ron Remick for over 14 years. He is a deeply caring and concerned psychiatrist. When he retires at the end of December I will really miss my time with him. He is very available to his patients and is also very knowledgeable about current drugs and other treatments. He has been my rock for so long that I hope his replacement can attempt to fill his shoes. He now works at the Mood Disorder Association and is working to make it a holistic treatment centre for those in need. He is now retiring to spend more time with his beautiful family and I wish him much joy and peace in the future. Thank you, Ron.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2204654].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

Brilliant, helpful, supportive, positive. Wish I had been under his care a long time ago.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2204655].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 3, 2014

This doctor is truly a blessing. He accurately assessed my partner with a focus on specific treatments, and it's been amazing to see the improvement in such a short time period. He speaks and listens to my partner and her struggles like a human being and he puts the ownership on her to learn how to self manage and facilitate on her own, and I love that. The medical field will be at a loss with a phenomenal psychiatrist when he retires. I truly wish him well and am thankful for crossing paths.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2204656].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 1, 2014

Dr. Remick announced he is retiring at the end of 2014. I wish the best for him. He has a beautiful family he wants to spend time with. If there was ever a doctor who deserved to retire and enjoy life and have a permanent break from his many many years of listening to "us and all our baggage" it is Dr. Remick. He is thoughtful kind and genuine. He is accessible anytime by email and replies back. I could go on and on about what I like if not love about Dr. Remick. It will be a sad day for your patients when you go off into the sunset.... But a new day for your lucky family.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][141631].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 20, 2014

He really listened to me and made me feel like things will get better. His approach to patient care is amazing and caring, and I feel his treatment model is the best I have come across.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][141630].votes_count ]]