Ratings for Dr. Chao Yu

In response to last patient`s comment ( March 17, 2016) 1)I understand your concern and frustration about undeniably a very long wait time. I appreciate your patience and apologize for your experience. Yesterday was particularly a bad day for wait time. 2) Wait time can not be simply resolved by just simply booking less patients for following reasons: a) All patients want to be seen soon. Seeing less patients means longer waiting period for patient that need help. b) All patients deserve time to have their concerns addressed which means taking longer time from time to time. It is harder to predict their concern and booking accordingly. 3) I have stressed again to my staff about importance of treating every patient with respect. 4) While it will be perfect to warn about waiting time before each patient`s arrival. Currently this option is not available. I do suggest however plan accordingly due to fluctuating nature of wait time. And phone us ahead of your appointment to plan your trip here to avoid prolong wait. 5)I continue to look for ways to improve the situation. Sincerely Yours Dr Chao Yu

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

I've been attending the vein clinic in Edmonton off and on for a few years to treat varicose veins at different stages. I'm happy with the procedure itself and the outcome BUT the staff (nurses and front staff) could use a lesson in friendliness and putting a smile on their faces. My other big complaint is the wait time. Not only, each and every time, its a minimum $100 out of my pocket BUT the wait time is also costly for me. MY TIME IS ALSO VALUABLE and not too mention my time off work in order to make the appointment and then to sit there for 55 minutes. Perhaps the solution is to not book as many patients in a day so we can all move on to our other commitments and the staff would not be as discontent having to deal with frustrated clients.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

In response to last patient's comment( posted on October 29, 2015) 1) I sincerely apologize for her unpleasant experience. 2) I do not let patient leave the clinic unless they are clinically stable and usually with company of his or her company. BP is only one of measure I use. 3) Ambulatory phlebectomy is surgical removal of varicose vein through micro puncture site. Therefore there will be multiple incisions in order to remove the offending varicose veins. 4) It is not unusual to have new appearing varicose veins around EVLT and ambulatory site. Therefore, sclerotherapy usually performed after previous procedures done in order to correct that appearance. 5) I agree the wait time is lengthy at time. I am trying to use different measure to reduce the wait time including better communication with patient about wait time during their visit. But there are times it is unavoidable due to nature of visit. I sincerely appreciate patient's patience during those time and welcome any constructive suggestion. 6) I hope this patient and any patient who do not have positive experience communicate with me. And allow me to correct anything that need to be done to make it a better outcome. 7) I can not guarantee outcome of every procedure to be perfect. But I will do the best I can to make the experience positive and outcome as close as possible to meet patient's expectation. Sincerely Yours Dr Chao Yu

flag | Submitted October 31, 2015

Average wait on any given day is at least 1-1 1/2 hours. He preformed EVLT on me and he allowed me to leave his office for a 2 1/2 hour drive home with a diastolic blood pressure of 117 !!! The doctor at my home town emergency room was flabbergasted! My own GP was amazed at the method at which he "pulled" the veins ( literally grabbed the vein with locking scissors and pulled until the vein broke (usually about 1-2 inches in length) and made a new cut and started again. I had over 20 incisions down the length of my leg). I feel I have a high pain tolerance but this was unbearably painful. Over a month later and my leg was still black and blue. I now have more spider veins from where these veins were yanked out. The area where I had the vein removed now throbs at the end of a long day on my feet. I do not doubt that he is very knowledgeable, but I do question his judgement on some things.

Submitted October 28, 2015

Had a long standing issue with varicose veins dealt with in August. I found Dr. Yu to be extremely competent with a good dose of humor that put me at ease. No time wasted during the procedure and the results are excellent. I followed the post care instructions and bruising was minimal. 4 months post procedure and the leg looks better than it has for 15 years. The persistent numbness/itching that used to be is gone. Very happy I finally got it dealt with and recommend Dr . Yu to anyone.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2014

Very pleased with results of EVLT and amb. phleb. so far, it was immediately evident that Dr. Yu is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. He's a really nice person too.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2014

Excellent doctor, very knowledgable and caring, and while he IS busy, I don't mind waiting for quality. Treatment is fairly quick, efficient and relatively painless and it's targeted to your needs, rather than just going in and ripping out veins like a goofball I saw in Nova Scotia. Thanks doc!

flag | Submitted March 2, 2014

After having sclerotherapy performed elsewhere for a LOT more money, I found Dr. Yu's treatment excellent. He is precise and bruising is minimal compared to offices where non-MD's perform this procedure. Map out the veins that you want treated ahead of time because while he is pleasant, he's always in a huge hurry and may miss some. My biggest complaint is that he allows triple and quadruple booking. If you get treated in less than an hour and a half, go buy a lottery ticket because it's your lucky day.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2012

Very pleasent doctor, favourably compares to many other physicians in Edmonton. Very personable, good sense of humour,not money hungry. If not 100%but 90% punctual, it's because he listens and is willing to satisfy a patient performing as much treatments as he can in one session IMO.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2012

Had a very large varicose vein removed in his clinic in November. Dr. Yu and his staff were great! Answered all my questions and I am very pleased with the results. I would not hesitate to recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2012

Dr. Chao Yu's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 3.2-star rating has been posted. "In response to last patient`s comment ( March 17, 2016) 1)I understand your concern and frustration about undeniably a very long wait time. I appreciate your pa..."

March 17, 2016
  • A new 1.8-star rating has been posted. "I've been attending the vein clinic in Edmonton off and on for a few years to treat varicose veins at different stages. I'm happy with the procedure itself and..."

March 17, 2016
  • A new 3.2-star rating has been posted. "In response to last patient's comment( posted on October 29, 2015) 1) I sincerely apologize for her unpleasant experience. 2) I do not let patient leave the cli..."

October 31, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "Average wait on any given day is at least 1-1 1/2 hours. He preformed EVLT on me and he allowed me to leave his office for a 2 1/2 hour drive home with a diast..."

October 28, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Had a long standing issue with varicose veins dealt with in August. I found Dr. Yu to be extremely competent with a good dose of humor that put me at ease. No t..."

December 24, 2014
  • Specialty changed from "Family / G.P." to "Vascular Surgeon"

February 14, 2012