Ratings for Dr. Auby Howard Axler

I agree with what most others have said. You are so lucky if Dr. Adler is your regular psychiatrist. I saw him for a consultation and he was insightful and spent a lot of energy understanding me even though it was just a consult. I came away feeling uplifted and positive.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

There was no staff at his office which made it very comfortable for me. It was a warm and welcoming office space. It was the most comfortable and safe feeling that I have ever had stepping into a new doctors office in which I have never met. I am extremely anxious most of the time but I felt calm meeting Dr.Axler. I had seen him for an assessment and he listens very well and seems to understand my scrambled mind. If you have the opportunity to ever see this doctor you are lucky. I would love to have him as my regular Psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2016

Walked in , looked at me and refused to see. He just walked out in a rage. I had seen him once at VGH heart health centre, and there was no problem. It was part of the treatment to see a psych. I was humiliated and devastated and never understood why. I was also too afraid to ask any questions because he was so angry. Horrible human being if you can even call him that.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

Dr. Axler clearly does not want to know everything he can about a patient before assessing. Our doctor and our psychologist both wrote letters indicating the severity of reactions the patient was having, but these appeared to have been ignored. Our psychologist had administered a very standard assessment of the patient, and this was pointedly ignored. Consequently we have given up on finding a medication that might be more suitable for the patient. I cannot say how much of a disappointment this entire process has been for our family.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2016

There was no staff at the office at which I had my appointment, which was quite disconcerting and worrisome for me. However, whatever challenges that presented me in a strange city with which I was not familiar, the Dr. himself, was extremely helpful. I was there for an assessment initiated by an insurance company. He was the 8th psychiatrist or psychologist/counselor I had encountered at that point and I was without hope. However, he managed to get through the gibberish and my walls and for the first time, someone actually "got" me. He was extremely respectful. Afterwards, once I was home, I replayed the session and realized that even his stepping aside as I left and allowing me space, was probably intentional. ( I have Ptsd and there are some triggers...someone walking behind me or cornering me...) I only wish that he were the psychiatrist I had access to afterwards as there has been no help since his review. He actually did more for me than anyone before or since. If you get to see him, I envy you. I also hope you find the healing you need and believe he can offer it to you.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2015

Dr Axler is kind compassionate and direct. He is a very skilled therapist and I would not hesitate to recommend him or see him again if need be.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

Dr. Axler is a very nice man, compassionate, takes the time to listen, and offers any help he can.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2014

This doctor is professional, empathetic and excellent.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2013

Dr. Axler was the last psychiatrist I saw over many years.(I don't need one anymore) I owe my life to him. He is very caring, took the time to understand me and went the extra mile to see me in hospital when I had ankle surgery. He was in North Van. and was snatched to UBC. A huge loss for North Vancouver!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2012

I waited months for my appointment with him-he was supposed to give me a psych assessment, plus there was an in-patient assessment/treatment/research program that I believe I need. Went to appointment with husband. As we sat in waiting room, he walked by entrance in hallway, stuck his head in, asked who I was, then asked me what I would do if I could not get into the program. I said that I would kill myself. He said that he would not assess me, then he left, supposedly to call the GP who had referred me. Returned & said that GP now recommended that he NOT assess me. (Later found out that he didn't even talk to my GP-"Why would I say that if I had referred you?".)Talked to receptionist, she would do nothing. He ignored an obvious statement that I wanted to kill myself, which he is legally responsible for attending to. The materials they had sent me were very poor photocopies and difficult to read. I had spent a lot of time filling out the forms, which he would not accept or read.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2011