Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

Excellent Doctor that you can trust your health with.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2017

You will not find a better neurosurgeon in Reno. Dr. Sekhon is incredibly knowledgeable and caring. He spent a long time going over my condition and options so the correct procedure could be chosen for my well-being. No one wants to have spinal surgery, but if you need it as I did, you can be assured you are in the best hands. It was so refreshing to see a specialist who truly shows an interest in his patients. Seeing the maps in his office which indicates all the lives he has touched with his expertise is a sight to see. Dr. Sekhon has a huge heart and is most definitely suited for his profession. His staff is also very attentive and caring. Anyone in need of a neurosurgeon needs to see Dr. Sekhon. You will not be sorry.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2017

What a great pleasure it has been to have Dr. Sekhon, Gregg Graves and all the staff as my team through both of my surgeries. I'm doing so much better!

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

Highly recommend. I have had 2 surgeries on my back and he did great!

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

I had a lumbar spinal fusion, and it is now 5 months post-op. My pain level is virtually non-existent, I have gotten back to many of the activities I enjoyed before the pain set in, and I feel joy once again. From the moment I met Dr. Sekhon, I knew I found the perfect surgeon for me. He spent 45 minutes with my husband and I during my initial consult. He is extremely compassionate, thoughtful, and confident in how he can help his patients and their caregivers. Never did I feel a sense of arrogance that many surgeons have, and never did I feel unsure of his surgical abilities. I felt as if he truly cared about restoring my quality of life. Dr. Sekhon, Greg (PA), and Curt (PA) came to see me a total of 8 times in the two day hospital stay- amazing patient care and follow up. Greg came by and called when he said he would, and Curt has taken care of me since I returned home. He is a very genuine person who listens to me, and he responds quickly through the portal or a phone call. Allison, the scheduler, was extremely helpful in advising me of all the things needed before the surgery, and she was always quick to answer an email or phone call. Each visit to Dr. Sekhon's office was smooth, no long wait times, yet I never felt rushed by anyone. I didn't think it was possible to have such an amazing surgical experience, but I found it with Dr. Sekhon and his team.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

Dr. Sekhon has performed two surgeries on me, both with complete success, an Anterior Cervical Decompression with fusion and a Semi Hemispherical laminecomy with micro discectomy. I was made aware of all treatment options and we only settled on surgery when all other avenues had been exhausted. Dr. Sekhon and his staff are the most friendly caring and helpful medical professionals, and office professionals I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

Dr. Sekhon and his staff are the best!! Fit me in looked at all my records, and actually changed my life! He sat with me and went over everything and helped me to be in almost no pain! I feel so blessed that he is my Dr. And I know I'm the best hands with him and his staff!! Caring, kind, professional, knowledgeable!! This is the best office!

flag | Submitted April 7, 2017

I felt secure that I was in the right hands with Dr Sekhon. Three months postop laminectomy and fusion and I feel great!

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

I injured my back 20 years ago. About every 5 years I would seek out help, but no avail. I saw Dr Sekhon. He was able to perform a new procedure , and the only one in the area able to do so, specifically for my type of injury. I am still in recovery, but looking forward to the end result. Dr Sekhon and his PA's, Curt and Greg, were very warm and caring. I highly recommend this team.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2017

Dr. Sekhon was the 3rd neurosurgeon I interviewed. His knowledge and personality (caring about his patients) made the choice easy. His staff is very friendly and professional. His offices are very clean. He gave me options the other doctors did not. I'm a fan for life!

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Doctor Sekhon is a board certified (FRACS) and double fellowship-trained spine neurosurgeon at Nevada Neurosurgery with locations in Reno and Carson City, Nevada as well as Bishop and Quincy, California. He has special expertise in the diagnosis and management of many conditions including cervical myelopathy, degenerative disc disease, spondylolisthesis, spinal tumors, and trauma. Dr. Sekhon is a highly skilled spine neurosurgeon whose practice includes motion preservation techniques and technologies, artificial discs, dynamic stabilization, interbody fusion, and other procedures including minimally invasive spine surgery. Dr. Sekhon is Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, at the University of Nevada, School of Medicine in Reno and Las Vegas. Prior to joining Nevada Neurosurgery, Dr. Sekhon was an Associate Professor at the University of Sydney with a clinical appointment in the Department of Neurosurgery and Spinal Injuries Unit (Head of Department) at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney, Australia. Ongoing areas of research interest include cervical and lumbar disc prostheses, spinal implant designs, bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), and spinal cord injury. Graduating with honors, Dr. Sekhon received his medical degree at the University of Sydney in Sydney, Australia. Clinical sub-internships in neurology and neurosurgery were completed at Yale-New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut followed by a pediatric neurosurgical clinical rotation a the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children in Sydney. Also in Sydney, Dr. Sekhon completed, with distinction, a neurosurgical residency. Dr. Sekhon received advanced training during two different neurosurgical fellowship programs. The first at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and a combined orthopaedic/neurosurgical spinal fellowship at Toronto Western Hospital in Ontario, Canada. In addition, he received a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Australia. During his under-graduate, graduate, doctoral and fellowship training, Dr. Sekhon received a plethora of honors and awards including the Young Neurosurgeons Award from the World Federation of Neurosurgeons and Outstanding Clinical Research Award from the Cervical Spine Research Society. Dr. Sekhon continues to receive many honors, some repeatedly, such as the AMA Physician’s Recognition Award with Commendation, Patient’s Choice Award by MDX Medical, Inc. (2010-2013), Best Doctors in America Award (2010, 2011), “Becker’s 60 Spine Inventors to Know”, 2012 Best of Reno Awards in the Orthopedics Physicians and in 2013 the ThinkFirst Sponsoring Physician of the Year Award as well as the 2013 ” Nevada Medical Marvels” list from NevadaBusiness Magazine. Dr. Sekhon is a member of numerous prestigious organizations including the American College of Surgeons, American Medical Association, Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), Joint Section AANS/CNS Spine and Peripheral Nerve, Joint Section AANS/CNS Trauma and Critical Care, North American Spine Society (NASS), Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Spine Trauma Study Group, and others. In 2010 he became a Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (FAANS). Dr. Sekhon founded Nevada Neurosurgery in 2010 and was it’s President until Nevada Neurosurgery merged with Sierra Neurosurgery in 2013. Dr. Sekhon founded ThinkFirst of Northern Nevada in 2011, a not-for-profit organization that teaches high school children and head and spinal cord injury prevention throughout the Northern Nevada area and is currently it’s president. Dr. Sekhon has practiced in Reno since 2005. He is the president of Nevada Neurosurgery and SpinePoint, LLC and is currently chief of Neurosurgery at Renown Regional Medical Center. Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FAANS, FRACS, FACS is on the Spine Universe Editorial Board Dr. Sekhon is on the editorial board for the Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the deputy editorial board for The Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the editorial board for Craniovertebral Junction & Spine Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Global Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Spine Surgery Journal

• English

• University of Sydney (Grad. 1989)

• Spinal stenosis
  • Cervical spondylosis
  • Low back pain
  • Neck pain
  • Spinal fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF)
  • Artificial Disc Replacement