Ratings for Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

Excellent all around very caring and great follow up

flag | Submitted September 3, 2019

The entire staff was welcoming and professional - made me feel very comfortable.

flag | Submitted July 23, 2019

I have been fortunate to have Dr. Sekhon do 3 surgeries on my lumbar spine. EXCELLENT care, expertise. I would recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2019

I was fortunate to have chosen Dr. Sekhon to perform my L5/S1 Lumbar Fusion Surgery. He knew exactly what needed to be done to eliminate the pain that been building up and consuming me for 4 years. Realizing there is a risk with all surgeries, and a positive outcome of back surgeries is not a guarantee, I went into the surgery with great confidence and the understanding that I was a good candidate for this surgery with Dr. Sekhon in charge. I am thrilled to report that 4 months post-op, I took to the slopes of Mammoth Ski Resort, pain free!

flag | Submitted May 28, 2019

Dr. Sekhon and his staff are amazing. I had a s-4 s-5 laminectomy and discectomy. Who knew one of the United States top spine surgeons practiced in Reno? After spending almost a month in agony after re-injuring my back I'm now pain-free. Doctor Sekhon was very professional and showing me on my MRI what exactly my problem was and explaining how it could be fixed very simply. Even a non-professional like myself could understand what was going on on the MRI. After all this he asked if I had any questions I asked him how many times he'd done this surgery his answer was about 5000! I couldn't think of any good questions after that... Have to comment about his anesthesiologist too on the day of surgery he came by to see me in pre-op. He clearly saw I was a little nervous about getting back surgery I mean who wouldn't be? He said he would give me something to relax me he put something in my IV and the next thing I know I was waking up in post-op with the nurse saying it was all over! That's how it should be done so you don't have time to worry about stuff! Well done doc. Post-op instructions and visits were very well planned and clear instructions. If you have spine issues this is where you want to be. I went back to the VA after surgery and spoke to the patient advocate about my good experience and recommended that they send more people to Dr Sekhon.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2018

This very knowledgeable Doctor and his team are truly awesome; others' comments below concerning the same are highly accurate. About 5 years ago had two collapsed disks in my neck (old series of injuries) aggravated by a last-straw fall. Left arm and shoulder pain were untouchable by heavy meds or physical therapy. Lali believes in being informative, very conservative and non-invasive; surgery being only as a last resort. In my case, there was not an option and needed it done as soon as scheduling permitted. 2nd day after the surgery my wife felt the need to yell at me because I was not following post-op orders; I felt no pain. 5+ years in and still doing great. The metal plate/screws in my neck do not even set off the TSA metal scanners. Bonus round :-) If I ever have need to be back in a doctors' and his terrific teams' care for anything having to do with nero/spine, my big hope is that Lali is still here in Reno, and continuing to practice. To Lali: Thank you for deciding to take up medicine. Reno is very lucky to have you!

flag | Submitted November 28, 2018

Dr. Sekhon and the entire staff in his office are extraordinary. They always show concern, compassion, and complete competence in taking care of you. Dr. Sekhon performed my very difficult laminectomy with complete success and I feel extremely lucky I was referred to him. I rate him five stars because there aren't ten available.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2018

Totally a miracle! People who have had similar back surgeries think I probably didn't have "real" back surgery because my recovery was so successful. I was free of the original pain right from the start. I only had to recover from the surgical pain. I'm so glad I found Dr. Sekhon. I have to force myself to take it easy because I feel so "normal" I had L2 through L5 laminectomies and bilateral foraminotomies and results are amazing.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2018

First and foremost i would like to start with the staff at NV Neurosurgery. Everyone is simply amazing! From the time you are greeted by the ladies at the front desk at check in. To the time you check out. Every staff member is courteous and professional. As well as eager to be as helpful as possible with any question or concern you may have. Dr. Sekhon, Curt and Greg are fantastic. I can't express that enough. I've spent 30 years in construction industry. Specifically the concrete trade. As you can imagine, those years had taken a toll on my back. From disc degeneration to spinal stenosis. The nerve pain i had was excruciating. It was terribly painful to walk let, alone perform my daily duties at my job. Dr. Sekhon performed an L-2 to S-1 laminectomy on my back. And now 6 weeks later i am completely pain free and ready to return to work. I understand that my results may not be typical and they may be different for everyone else, but. I can say with complete certainty. Dr. Sekhon and his medical staff have given me a new lease on life. And i could not be more grateful.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2018

Skilled practioner who knows his craft. His work on my lower back has really changed my life. I'm not doing ballroom dancing yet, but hope to soon. The support staff are simply outstanding.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2018

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon's response
Thank you so much for the kind words. Call us if you need us!

Submitted July 24, 2018

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Doctor Sekhon is a board certified (FRACS) and double fellowship-trained spine neurosurgeon at Nevada Neurosurgery with locations in Reno and Carson City, Nevada as well as Bishop and Quincy, California. He has special expertise in the diagnosis and management of many conditions including cervical myelopathy, degenerative disc disease, spondylolisthesis, spinal tumors, and trauma. Dr. Sekhon is a highly skilled spine neurosurgeon whose practice includes motion preservation techniques and technologies, artificial discs, dynamic stabilization, interbody fusion, and other procedures including minimally invasive spine surgery. Dr. Sekhon is Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, at the University of Nevada, School of Medicine in Reno and Las Vegas. Prior to joining Nevada Neurosurgery, Dr. Sekhon was an Associate Professor at the University of Sydney with a clinical appointment in the Department of Neurosurgery and Spinal Injuries Unit (Head of Department) at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney, Australia. Ongoing areas of research interest include cervical and lumbar disc prostheses, spinal implant designs, bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), and spinal cord injury. Graduating with honors, Dr. Sekhon received his medical degree at the University of Sydney in Sydney, Australia. Clinical sub-internships in neurology and neurosurgery were completed at Yale-New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut followed by a pediatric neurosurgical clinical rotation a the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children in Sydney. Also in Sydney, Dr. Sekhon completed, with distinction, a neurosurgical residency. Dr. Sekhon received advanced training during two different neurosurgical fellowship programs. The first at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and a combined orthopaedic/neurosurgical spinal fellowship at Toronto Western Hospital in Ontario, Canada. In addition, he received a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Australia. During his under-graduate, graduate, doctoral and fellowship training, Dr. Sekhon received a plethora of honors and awards including the Young Neurosurgeons Award from the World Federation of Neurosurgeons and Outstanding Clinical Research Award from the Cervical Spine Research Society. Dr. Sekhon continues to receive many honors, some repeatedly, such as the AMA Physician’s Recognition Award with Commendation, Patient’s Choice Award by MDX Medical, Inc. (2010-2013), Best Doctors in America Award (2010, 2011), “Becker’s 60 Spine Inventors to Know”, 2012 Best of Reno Awards in the Orthopedics Physicians and in 2013 the ThinkFirst Sponsoring Physician of the Year Award as well as the 2013 ” Nevada Medical Marvels” list from NevadaBusiness Magazine. Dr. Sekhon is a member of numerous prestigious organizations including the American College of Surgeons, American Medical Association, Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), Joint Section AANS/CNS Spine and Peripheral Nerve, Joint Section AANS/CNS Trauma and Critical Care, North American Spine Society (NASS), Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Spine Trauma Study Group, and others. In 2010 he became a Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (FAANS). Dr. Sekhon founded Nevada Neurosurgery in 2010 and was it’s President until Nevada Neurosurgery merged with Sierra Neurosurgery in 2013. Dr. Sekhon founded ThinkFirst of Northern Nevada in 2011, a not-for-profit organization that teaches high school children and head and spinal cord injury prevention throughout the Northern Nevada area and is currently it’s president. Dr. Sekhon has practiced in Reno since 2005. He is the president of Nevada Neurosurgery and SpinePoint, LLC and is currently chief of Neurosurgery at Renown Regional Medical Center. Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FAANS, FRACS, FACS is on the Spine Universe Editorial Board Dr. Sekhon is on the editorial board for the Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the deputy editorial board for The Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the editorial board for Craniovertebral Junction & Spine Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Global Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Spine Surgery Journal

• English

• University of Sydney (Grad. 1989)

• Spinal stenosis
  • Cervical spondylosis
  • Low Back Pain
  • Neck pain
  • Spinal fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF)
  • Artificial Disc Replacement