Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

Totally a miracle! People who have had similar back surgeries think I probably didn't have "real" back surgery because my recovery was so successful. I was free of the original pain right from the start. I only had to recover from the surgical pain. I'm so glad I found Dr. Sekhon. I have to force myself to take it easy because I feel so "normal" I had L2 through L5 laminectomies and bilateral foraminotomies and results are amazing.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2018

First and foremost i would like to start with the staff at NV Neurosurgery. Everyone is simply amazing! From the time you are greeted by the ladies at the front desk at check in. To the time you check out. Every staff member is courteous and professional. As well as eager to be as helpful as possible with any question or concern you may have. Dr. Sekhon, Curt and Greg are fantastic. I can't express that enough. I've spent 30 years in construction industry. Specifically the concrete trade. As you can imagine, those years had taken a toll on my back. From disc degeneration to spinal stenosis. The nerve pain i had was excruciating. It was terribly painful to walk let, alone perform my daily duties at my job. Dr. Sekhon performed an L-2 to S-1 laminectomy on my back. And now 6 weeks later i am completely pain free and ready to return to work. I understand that my results may not be typical and they may be different for everyone else, but. I can say with complete certainty. Dr. Sekhon and his medical staff have given me a new lease on life. And i could not be more grateful.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2018

Skilled practioner who knows his craft. His work on my lower back has really changed my life. I'm not doing ballroom dancing yet, but hope to soon. The support staff are simply outstanding.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2018

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon's response
Thank you so much for the kind words. Call us if you need us!

Submitted July 24, 2018

Highly recommend Dr.Sekhon. He cares about his patient. Will continue to go to him when I have a need to.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2018

Very caring and understanding all around! I would highly recommend Dr. Sekhon and his staff to anyone who needs a neurosurgeon.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2018

Fast forward ...10 yrs this doc’s compasion and skill allows Our Daughter to live a full and mobile Life! Thank you .. you won’t find better !

flag | Submitted December 22, 2017

My wife has had two surgeries, cervical relief on C5 to C7 and lumbar fusion with laminectomy on L3-L5. Dr. Sekhon explained options, showed immense knowledge, followed up effectively, was empathetic yet cautious because of the risks. In the operating theater, this surgeon is a magician and twice gave my wife's life back to her. His staff, like Dr. Greg and Tiffany, also are at the highest standard. Even the post-op braces and routines are detailed to maximize the careful work shown in the operating room. They do not come better than this doctor.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2017

Dr. Sekhon cares about the patient and makes sure the patient understands all options. He does whatever he can so the patient can avoid surgery if it is absolutely not needed.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2017

Dr. Sekhon and his entire staff could not have been better during a very stressful time for me and my family. Dr. Sekhon was very patient in explaining the reason for surgery and was great about answering all my questions. Most importantly, he was able to put me at ease on the morning of surgery with his confident and relaxed manner. The post-operative care was also first rate. Someone was available around the clock to answer questions or concerns that I had during the recovery period and when I had to leave a message for someone that wasn’t immediately available, I always got a same-day return call. I have since talked to people in the Reno area, both lay people and people within the medical profession, and have gotten very positive opinions of Dr. Sekhon from every one of them. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Sekhon to friends and family.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2017

Have seen Dr Sekhon twice prior to making surgery decisions. Once alone, once with my wife along. He took an hour or so to answer every possible question and he allayed concerns and instilled confidence that I was making the correct decision in having a 3 level acdf. As all of us become a bit older we end up seeing a few more doctors. I have never had greater confidence or trust in a Doctor than I have in Dr Sekhon. His humanity, knowledge and dedication to excellence inspire my unwavering belief that I have selected and entrusted the very best person as well as the most skilled Neurosurgeon to care for me. Having this level of confidence going into surgery is a rare gift.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2017

Dr. Lali H. Sekhon's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Doctor Sekhon is a board certified (FRACS) and double fellowship-trained spine neurosurgeon at Nevada Neurosurgery with locations in Reno and Carson City, Nevada as well as Bishop and Quincy, California. He has special expertise in the diagnosis and management of many conditions including cervical myelopathy, degenerative disc disease, spondylolisthesis, spinal tumors, and trauma. Dr. Sekhon is a highly skilled spine neurosurgeon whose practice includes motion preservation techniques and technologies, artificial discs, dynamic stabilization, interbody fusion, and other procedures including minimally invasive spine surgery. Dr. Sekhon is Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, at the University of Nevada, School of Medicine in Reno and Las Vegas. Prior to joining Nevada Neurosurgery, Dr. Sekhon was an Associate Professor at the University of Sydney with a clinical appointment in the Department of Neurosurgery and Spinal Injuries Unit (Head of Department) at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney, Australia. Ongoing areas of research interest include cervical and lumbar disc prostheses, spinal implant designs, bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), and spinal cord injury. Graduating with honors, Dr. Sekhon received his medical degree at the University of Sydney in Sydney, Australia. Clinical sub-internships in neurology and neurosurgery were completed at Yale-New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut followed by a pediatric neurosurgical clinical rotation a the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children in Sydney. Also in Sydney, Dr. Sekhon completed, with distinction, a neurosurgical residency. Dr. Sekhon received advanced training during two different neurosurgical fellowship programs. The first at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and a combined orthopaedic/neurosurgical spinal fellowship at Toronto Western Hospital in Ontario, Canada. In addition, he received a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Australia. During his under-graduate, graduate, doctoral and fellowship training, Dr. Sekhon received a plethora of honors and awards including the Young Neurosurgeons Award from the World Federation of Neurosurgeons and Outstanding Clinical Research Award from the Cervical Spine Research Society. Dr. Sekhon continues to receive many honors, some repeatedly, such as the AMA Physician’s Recognition Award with Commendation, Patient’s Choice Award by MDX Medical, Inc. (2010-2013), Best Doctors in America Award (2010, 2011), “Becker’s 60 Spine Inventors to Know”, 2012 Best of Reno Awards in the Orthopedics Physicians and in 2013 the ThinkFirst Sponsoring Physician of the Year Award as well as the 2013 ” Nevada Medical Marvels” list from NevadaBusiness Magazine. Dr. Sekhon is a member of numerous prestigious organizations including the American College of Surgeons, American Medical Association, Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), Joint Section AANS/CNS Spine and Peripheral Nerve, Joint Section AANS/CNS Trauma and Critical Care, North American Spine Society (NASS), Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Spine Trauma Study Group, and others. In 2010 he became a Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (FAANS). Dr. Sekhon founded Nevada Neurosurgery in 2010 and was it’s President until Nevada Neurosurgery merged with Sierra Neurosurgery in 2013. Dr. Sekhon founded ThinkFirst of Northern Nevada in 2011, a not-for-profit organization that teaches high school children and head and spinal cord injury prevention throughout the Northern Nevada area and is currently it’s president. Dr. Sekhon has practiced in Reno since 2005. He is the president of Nevada Neurosurgery and SpinePoint, LLC and is currently chief of Neurosurgery at Renown Regional Medical Center. Lali Sekhon, MD, PhD, FAANS, FRACS, FACS is on the Spine Universe Editorial Board Dr. Sekhon is on the editorial board for the Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the deputy editorial board for The Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the editorial board for Craniovertebral Junction & Spine Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Global Spine Journal Dr. Sekhon is on the associate editorial board for Spine Surgery Journal

• English

• University of Sydney (Grad. 1989)

• Spinal stenosis
  • Cervical spondylosis
  • Low back pain
  • Neck pain
  • Spinal fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF)
  • Artificial Disc Replacement