Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

After a long road to a probable diagnosis, Dr. Mackoul and Innovative GYN gave me the answers and surgery I needed. From the initial consultation to post operative care, this is the place and team to see when it feels like no one is listening, understands, or truly cares about your situation. They do.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2019

From start to finish the experience was as one would hope for from a doctor. Professional, clear, and counseling that determined all my options. I was shown a photo of what had been removed which explained why I was in so much pain. The surgeon was amazing.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2019

I was healthy during adolescence and I ran cross-country for my high school. I had no health issues in my 20s & 30s. But I did not know that having painful periods and bleeding seven days straight was not normal. At age 43 I was diagnosed with adenomyosis, fibroids, and uterine polyps. For the next two years I suffered from severe pain, heavy bleeding, and anemia. I had to rearrange my entire life around the disease. I was very miserable. My gyn did a D&C to remove the polyps and uterine lining. They found tissue that was precancerous and had a 1% chance of becoming uterine cancer later. My gyn suggested I use an IUD, but I did not like the long list of serious side effects. It was a temporary fix, which did not solve the problem. I searched the internet for information on hysterectomy and found CIGC. Their website explains all the complex gyn conditions women can develop and the recommended treatment for each one. Their video explains how they do minimally invasive hysterectomy with a faster recovery time. Unlike most gyn surgery centers across the U.S., CIGC doctors do not perform robotic surgery, which uses an instrument called a power morcellator, a spinning blade used for cutting that can potentially spread cancerous tissue throughout the body. CIGC surgeons do not use power morcellators. They specialize in minimally invasive surgery for complicated gyn conditions, such as fibroids, adenomyosis, and endometriosis. Initially, I contacted CIGC, but then weeks later I declined to go any further. A hysterectomy is a huge decision to make, and I had never been through anything like this before. I was so afraid to let go of my uterus, and I was fearful of having surgery. So out of fear, I waited another whole year and prolonged my pain and suffering for no good reason! During that time, CIGC kept in touch with me. Reading the testimonials from many, other women, who had the same condition as me, and hearing about their positive experience with CIGC made me change my mind. Also, my adenomyosis condition had worsened and I did not leave my house except to go to work. I was hopeless. I felt I had nothing to lose. I had my consultation with Dr. Paul MacKoul (Ma-Kool). I traveled to Secaucus, NJ to have the surgery at the Center for Modern Surgery. The surgery took less than an hour. I had two small incisions, one tiny one in my belly button and one small one above the pubic area. My uterus, fallopian tubes, and cervix were all removed. My ovaries were healthy, so I got to keep them and I did not have to worry about surgical menopause. By removing the uterus, I also did not have to worry about uterine cancer. I left the surgery center after 2 hours in recovery. The next day I was surprised at how good I felt! I only had to take a few Ibuprofen the first three days and one narcotic pain med the first two nights. I was back to work in two weeks. I was moving around, doing normal activities without any pain. After another few weeks, I went for a jog and I felt great. I was ecstatic with the results! It was better than I had expected. When I had my post-op phone call with Dr. MacKoul, I called it a miracle. He said, “It’s not a miracle. It’s just great technique.” It may not have been an actual miracle, but it truly felt like one! I regret waiting a year when I could have done it sooner and save myself from going through more pain and suffering. Ladies, if you are sure you do not want to have any more children and are seriously considering a hysterectomy for a complicated gyn condition, contact CIGC for a consultation. The doctors are highly trained, highly skilled, laparoscopic gyn surgeons utilizing state-of-the-art technique. Women should not have to suffer from traditional, open surgery for hysterectomy, which takes 6-8 weeks to heal. Minimally invasive surgery for complicated gyn conditions should be the gold standard across the country and the world. I feel amazing, and I am living life again! God bless Dr. Paul MacKoul, Dr. Natalya Danilyants, and Dr. Faraj Touchan and all the medical staff at CIGC and the Center for Modern Surgery. I am so grateful to them for their help. I can’t thank them enough for giving me back my life! Dr. Paul MacKoul is an outstanding laparoscopic gyn surgeon at CIGC. He routinely performs minimally invasive surgery for complicated gyn conditions. I would definitely recommend him to my family and friends!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2019

First of all, I want to thank Dr. Paul and his wonderful team for the outstanding care provided to me! You are truly a blessing to me and to so many other women. A little bit of my story. I have was diagnosed with having mayomas as back in 2013. During that time I became anemic, causing me to suffer with great iron deficiency. Every month I was burdened with incredibly heavy bleeding, low energy and also back pain from the pressure of the growths. I couldn't even tolerate a short walk. During the past 3 years I gained weight because of the growths. Holding my urine for more than 15 minutes became a difficult task. My enlarge uterus was constantly pushing on my bladder. When I went to my first doctor, I was advised to have an open Myomectomy. I cringed at the thought of having a long and ugly scar after that. So I told him that I needed a second opinion. One of my colleges recommended Dr. Paul. After surgery. I seriously experienced a miracle with a new uterus. Dr. Paul removed a total of 30 fibroids. Just think! 30!!! Dr. Paul gave me an image of a pile of the removed fibroids and they looked so ungly. I could hardly believe that I let them grow and be inside of me for such a long time. Instantly, I noticed my back pain was gone. I no longer experience heavy bleeding. Shortly after the surgery I was comfortably able to go for walks and even lose weight. If I only knew about Dr. Paul earlier, I would have instantly proceeded to have my surgery earlier. If you are ever considering surgery, I highly recommend Dr. Paul.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2019

Am very glad I chose Dr. MacKoul, he was able to perform my hysterectomy with no bladder issues. I had lots of adhesions and he was able to clean them all up and take the entire uterus out with no problems.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2019

I am a bit late with this post. I had a hysterectomy with Dr. Paul MacKoul in August 2018. I had fibroids and I was in horrible pain every month. I had a uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) in July 2017 at a top medical center because I thought UFE would have a shorter recovery than a hysterectomy. Unfortunately, I did not have any relief after UFE and new fibroids appeared a year after the procedure, so I decided to have a hysterectomy. I wish I had the hysterectomy a year sooner instead of UFE. For those considering UFE, I’d like you to know the recovery from the hysterectomy was quicker than UFE. I also was able to go home immediately after the hysterectomy while I had to stay overnight in the hospital after UFE. I had the hysterectomy on a Thursday afternoon, I was off pain meds on Saturday, and I returned to work on Monday. I started light exercise a few days after the hysterectomy and returned to my full workout regimen in two weeks. The first night was the toughest – I had shoulder pain from the CO2 gas that was used to inflate the abdomen, which they warned me about. Other than that, I did not have any pain or discomfort. I highly recommend Dr. MacKoul.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2019

Love these doctors, God sent, my Angels.. With Great Love, My Fibroid was over 20lbs and Dr.Mackoul and his wonderful colleagues and staff saved my life and shown me tons of love and support ongoing!!!!! Julie

flag | Submitted December 3, 2018

My name is Melita I had a Hysterectomy on Sept 28 2018 with Dr Paul who is a phenomenon doctor his team of staff was awesome from booking my appointments to checking up on me while at home recovering which went remarkable well I was back at work in less than 2 weeks only because of the type of job I do which require a lot of lifting and stairs climbing an I did not want to mess myself up and my husband would not allow me to. I would recommend Dr Paul a thousand time over He is the best. I feel like a new woman at 50+and someone who have suffer with heavy bleeding for years , and to top it all was just 2 tiny insesion I can't even find 1 in my belly button and the other at my bikini line. Thanks Dr Paul Mackoul you are the best.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2018

Dr Mackoul is an excellent surgeon and you are in good hands if you need to have an hysterectomy like me. I didn't have any complications and had minimal pain only. The staff at the Surgery Center from the nurses to the anesthesiologists is very professional.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2018

Dr Mackoul is an excellent provider. I underwent a dual port hysterectomy. It was complicated by the fact that I live in another state and there were insurance issues with the surgery center being out of network. From the staff to the actual surgical procedure, everything went like clockwork. I was very impressed. I was very happy to undergo a less invasive procedure with less anesthesia time. I was actually back to work in 12 day as a nurse practitioner. I highly recommend the center and Dr Mackoul. I only wish I can make more of my friends, family, and patients aware of this procedure.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2018

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

UnitedHealthcare