Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago performed by Dr MacKoul. I was nervous about scheduling an appointment with him because, frankly, I thought my concerns would be disregarded. I am so glad I followed through. He listens and then speaks to you in a straight-forward, matter-of-fact manner. I appreciated it! I agree with another review posted here that my only regret is not doing it sooner! Words truly cannot describe how grateful I am that my internet search led me to the Center for Innovative GYN Care.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2018

I cannot say enough about my experience with Dr.Mackoul. I am going to be running a 5K exactly 8 weeks after he performed my hysterectomy! The problems females have in relation to pain and discomfort aren’t something that we need to live with. I feel like he really listened to me. Although I had been diagnosed with endometriosis at 17, it turned out that my issues were not only endometriosis but also adenomyosis. After having 5 other abdominal surgeries I was convinced that I was done dealing with things. A friend recommended I at least go and talk to Dr.Mackoul because I was miserable. I had no idea that having a c-section can increase your risk of experiencing adenomyosis and I actually had never heard of the diagnosis prior to meeting with him for my consult. You do not have to live in pain!! It was amazing to wake up and not feel the pain I had felt for years!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2018

Dr. Mackoul is amazing! I had my hysterectomy on my birthday Feb 6 2018 and it went very well ! I was out of work for one week and back to regular activities as well.. my incisions are very small and my recovery was very easy. I was so worried about the side effects after the hysterectomy but I have none.. I had adenomyosis and my uterus was very large and hard but he removed it without any issues.. I would definitely recommend Dr. Mackoul to any and everybody!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2018

I received thorough information prior to surgery, and knew what to expect. Recovery was very easy, I was back to normal activities in just a few days and only used pain killers for a couple of days. Everyone was wonderful, my only regret is not having the hysterectomy sooner. My life has completely changed since!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2018

I am a 44 year old woman and I had my surgery in 2016. I had multiple fibroids of different sizes. During my initial consultation, Dr. Mackoul was really nice and attentive. He also told me that I would only need a myomectomy and not a partial hysterectomy. I had told him he was my 3rd opinion as I had been told my 2 other doctors that hysterectomy was my only option. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Mackoul and we scheduled the surgery. On the day of the surgery, I was in the pre-op room waiting and really nervous as I had never had surgery before. Dr. Mackoul came in and told me me that after some consideration, he thinks it would be better I have a partial hysterectomy. He said I had too many fibroids and a partial hysterectomy would be a better option. Needless to say, I was quite taken aback as there was no time during our consultation that we discussed my having a hysterectomy. He even told me that he could remove any size and any number of fibroids. That was what he sold me on. even his radio ads stated as much. Imagine that I was already prepped thinking I would be having a myomectomy only to be told otherwise right before the surgery, I felt trapped. My surgery chart even indicated that I would be having a myomectomy. I told the good doctor that I would like to do the myomectomy because I wanted to preserve my uterus. He in turn told me that having a myomectomy would be more invasive and lead to a longer and more painful recovery. He also said he would have to permanently seal off one of the blood vessels that led to my uterus. He also said that at my age (43) by the time uterus recovers from the surgery, it might be too late tohave more children as I might be approaching menopause. This Dr. Mackoul was quite different from the kind and caring doctor I met during my initial consultation, He seemed to be in a hurry to get things over and done with as he had other surgeries and I was about the first one that morning. I asked to confer with my family in order to make a decision. I was scared of the side effects of having one of my blood vessels permanently blocked if I opted for the myomectomy. The nurse even came into encourage me to choose a partial hysterectomy, After conferring with my family, I opted to do a partial hysterectomy. The procedure was successful. I left the surgical center the same day I was up and about by the next day. I decided to share my story after much thought because even though Dr. Mackoul is a great surgeon, he blindsided me by convincing me to change my surgical plan minutes before surgery. I was never told of the complications of a partial hysterectomy. I suffered from deep depression and a sense of loss months after and things have never being the same in my privates. I barely have any sensation due to my cervix being partially removed as well. I feel it is my duty to inform people of my experience at the Center for Innovative GYN Care.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2018

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's response
We understand that you are not fully happy with your experience at The Center for Innovative GYN Care. Dr. MacKoul and CIGC have very high standards when it comes to patient care, and it is our goal that all of our patients are 100% satisfied. Our records indicate that during your initial consultation both options: myomectomy and supracervical hysterectomy, were thoroughly discussed. We always encourage patients to share any issue or concern they may have, prior to moving forward to the next stage of diagnosis and/or treatment. The day of surgery, the physician typically goes over both fibroid treatment options with the patient once again, so the patient is fully aware of the risks and benefits associated with each procedure. Hysterectomy is definitive fibroid treatment, and myomectomy is indeed a more complex, fertility sparing procedure. Compared to hysterectomy, myomectomy is more invasive, requires larger incisions, has more blood loss and a longer recovery. Hysterectomy was recommended in order to provide you with the best possible surgical outcome, for your particular case. Our records indicate that the day of surgery, a long discussion occurred between Dr. MacKoul, yourself and your family regarding supracervical hysterectomy vs myomectomy. CIGC surgeons have a moral and ethical obligation to recommend treatment that provides the best possible outcome, and we only move forward if the patient gives consent and is comfortable with the recommended next steps, which is what occurred in your situation. Supracervical hysterectomy maintains normal vaginal anatomy. Lack of sensation is not due to this procedure. We will be pleased to answer any additional questions or concerns that you may have, should you decide to reach out directly. The Center for Innovative GYN Care

Submitted March 16, 2018

Being just 24 years old, Dr. MacKoul was the only doctor who never judged me, he heard me out, and he fixed my problems! He is the absolute best of the best. I was able to do 2 flights of stairs the day after my hysterectomy, I was able to return home to my 3 large jumping dogs within 1 week, and within 2 weeks I was able to return to my highly demanding job (lifting 25lbs). Being 4 months post-op, I have never felt better. I wish I had found Dr. MacKoul sooner, and I wish I had this done sooner. Thank you, Doctor.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2018

Thank you Dr. MacKoul for the excellent care you gave me during the most physically and emotionally difficult time of my life. No one expects a diagnosis of cancer but when it came, he was sensitive and patient to explain exactly how he would perform the total hysterectomy, even to the point of hand drawing diagrams for me. The surgery was totally not what I’d expected. I was out of bed moments after waking and on my way home soon after. Just an ibuprofen for discomfort, three tiny incisions and I felt great after a couple of days and ready to go in a week. Amazing! I am a self pay patient. His office was so generous and kind to work with me concerning the financing as well. I was very blessed to be directed to Dr. MacKoul and the Center for Innovative GYN Care.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2018

I traveled to have my surgery at CIGC with Dr. MacKoul after researching my condition- Fibroids with a very enlarged uterus- and being disappointed with the choices available to me in New York. All I kept being told was that I wouldn’t be able to have a minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery because my uterus and fibroids were too large. I was told I’d have a fully open surgery (15” incision “) with a minimum of 6-8 weeks of recovery which also meant being unable to get back to work for a while. This was even more frustrating to me once I happened upon The Center for Innovative GYN Care during my research and realized that I could quite realistically expect a better procedure and far better outcome. I read the reviews for Dr. MacKoul and watched the testimonials of other patients, which gave me hope. I called Dr. MacKoul’s Office and spoke with Mimi who was so wonderful (they all are) as she explained the process. I sent in my Ultrasound and MRI reports as per her instructions; if I were a candidate for this procedure I would receive a phone consultation with the Dr. Soon after submitting my reports, I got an appt. for a consultation. I was so glad! Dr. MacKoul called me and his first words to me after introducing himself were- “What do you want to do?” Not- “Ohhh well are you done having kids? Ok,good then let’s get that uterus and everything else out.” Like other Dr.’s said flatly. Dr. MacKoul actually asked me what I wanted to do and LISTENED. My choice was to have a hysterectomy. I’m 47 have 3 great children and really just wanted my health and energy back. My surgery was challenging in that my uterus was super enlarged; it was up to my sternum basically which is scary. It & the fibroids etc. weighed 5lbs! Dr. MacKoul was able to perform my surgery laparoscopically with tiny incisions that are barely noticeable. It’s been 8 weeks as of today, my energy is back, my weight went down by 20lbs. I’m not wearing maternity looking clothes or being asked “When are you due?” by strangers. I’m walking more on par with my old routine of 3 miles a day. Dr. MacKoul is downright amazing in his knowledge and skill as a surgeon I could not have asked for a better Dr. who actually listens and understands what matters to women, not just feeling and looking better but being able to get back to feeling healthy and frankly normal again. This surgery has been a life saver and game changer for me and I am so very thankful for Dr. Paul MacKoul. aka- #DrMacCOOL :)

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017

I live in Los Angeles and sought opinions from what you're led to believe are the best simply because you're in Hollywood or Beverly Hills. I was told I had up to 11 fibroids and would later find out endometriosis and adenomyosis. Because my uterus was so large, each doctor in town told me it was a difficult case and I had no option except a full open abdominal surgery. But I was not willing to settle for that and the 8 to 10 weeks of recovery I was told would come with it. I did my research and found CIGC and Dr. Mackoul. Dr. Mackoul reviewed my records and was very calm and confident that he could still do a minimally invasive hysterectomy using only 2 or 3 tiny incisions. He said he'd have me back at work in 7 to 10 days. He was very clear on what the problems were and how he could solve them. He answered all of my questions along the way. His focus is truly on getting a patient back to their regular life and he does it with great care. Without the emphasis on time, money or what your insurance will cover. After two appointments, I was so confident in Dr. Mackoul that I made the decision to fly across the country and pay out of pocket to have him do my surgery. My hysterectomy went well and I needed nothing more than Motrin for the first week. I felt well enough to go to the theater to see Hamilton on day 7 (YES!) and went back to work on day 8. My friends and family are shocked at how aside from being tired, l barely seem like I've had surgery at all. 5 weeks post op, all I have is some lingering exhaustion at the end of a busy day and 3 TINY incisions that are barely even there. Don't settle ladies. Goto the best. Choosing Dr. Mackoul to help me get my life back was the best decision I've ever made.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2017

The most wonderful and compassionate doctor I've ever met. Truly a remarkable surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2017

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Top Urgent Care Centers in Rockville, MD