Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

Dr Mackoul is an excellent surgeon and you are in good hands if you need to have an hysterectomy like me. I didn't have any complications and had minimal pain only. The staff at the Surgery Center from the nurses to the anesthesiologists is very professional.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2018

Dr Mackoul is an excellent provider. I underwent a dual port hysterectomy. It was complicated by the fact that I live in another state and there were insurance issues with the surgery center being out of network. From the staff to the actual surgical procedure, everything went like clockwork. I was very impressed. I was very happy to undergo a less invasive procedure with less anesthesia time. I was actually back to work in 12 day as a nurse practitioner. I highly recommend the center and Dr Mackoul. I only wish I can make more of my friends, family, and patients aware of this procedure.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2018

Dr. MacKoul and staff personnel were very professional in their care for me and supported me with all of my concerns and questions. I feel that my surgical procedure went very well and am very delighted this is all behind me! It was quick and very thoroughly done. I was cared for very well. Dr. MacKoul explained what he was going to do and that put me at ease.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2018

Dr. Mackoul wasn’t my original doctor, but for some reason my insurance decided the doctor wasn’t covered. CIGC rearranged schedules, and worked a miracle so that I would be able to have surgery within 7 days of my original schedule date. I was in so much pain, and had been feeling like I wouldn’t ever come out if it. Dr. Mackoul is one of the best, if you’re having any type of reproductive issue I implore you to visit this office.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2018

This rating is for the customer service of the billing office. It is very poor service to say the least. My account was overdrawn twice by them. Dr. Mackoul was great.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2018

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's response
We understand that you are not fully happy with your experience at The Center for Innovative GYN Care. Dr. MacKoul and CIGC have very high standards when it comes to patient care, and it is our goal that all of our patients are 100% satisfied. We apologize for any inconvenience and ask that you please give us a call at 888-SURGERY option 7 so we can address any issue that may have occurred. The Center for Innovative GYN Care

Submitted July 16, 2018

Dr. Paul MacKoul has given me the freedom to live my life again! After eight years of heavy menstrual cycles, occurring approximately every two weeks and multiple ultrasounds and painful biopsies of my uterus and cervix (not to mention the cost of these procedures), my regular OBGYN, who I respect and admire dearly, suggested my only recourse would be to have a hysterectomy (I did have multiple fibroids which would disappear and reappear during this time, but with no pain). She reiterated that this would require 3 small incisions, but possibly a conversion if the uterus was too large. It also required a hospital stay and a 6-8 week period of recuperation to follow. I do not have time with work and my busy schedule to allow this. It simply was out of the question. I was, and always had been adamant about not having a hysterectomy and figured at the age of 50 that I could hold out as I should be going into menopause soon enough. However, curiosity got the best of me and I started my research! After many hours of online research and finally discovering and reading about Dr. Paul MacKoul and the ICGC, I knew my decision was an easy one. I made the call for a consult and spoke with the professional staff at ICGC & Dr. MacKoul. He was very professional and answered all of my questions. The decision was an easy one. I flew to Maryland from Wyoming, had my partial hysterectomy (uterus only) around noon, woke up with no abdominal pain and was able to leave shortly after. The next day I was able to walk (3.5 miles) with still no pain, other than the CO2 gas, which they use in most laparoscopic procedures, which presented as shoulder pain. This shoulder pain lasted for approximately five days, however I had no other pain what so ever! I flew back home two days after surgery and was able to go back to work in 6 days, and honestly, I probably could have gone back at 4 days. Simply an amazing procedure. I have one very minimal scar at my pubic bone as Dr. MacKoul also went through the belly button, so no scar is visible at this site. The front office staff, nurses, anesthesiologist and Dr. MacKoul were all highly professional, courteous and thorough throughout this process. They made it very easy and comfortable to have surgery out of state. Dr. MacKoul followed up with me a couple of weeks later to let me know that I had adenomyosis and quite a large uterus. He said that most OBGYN's do not catch this on ultrasound as it doesn't show up. As a side note, I did urinate quite frequently and just thought it was because I drink a lot of water. Dr. MacKoul asked me before surgery if I urinated frequently and I told him I did. After finding out the size of my uterus I can see why I probably urinated so frequently. After having my hysterectomy, I do not urinate nearly as much. An added bonus! If you are hesitant to have a hysterectomy, please see or visit with Dr. Paul MacKoul. He is an outstanding surgeon and certainly has given me "new life" in being able to do the things I have always done, without having to worry about hemorrhaging. I couldn't be more pleased with Dr. Paul MacKoul and the Center for Innovative Gynecological Care.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2018

I am a physician from Canada, I had a very large fibroid (2.5kg), multiple specialists here suggested the only way to remove it would be through laparotomy (which is a very invasive surgery). I learned about Dr. Mackoul's successful work and surgical techniques, then decided to have a phone consult with him, upon discussion he decided that I will be a good candidate to have a retro-peritoneal assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy. He kindly called me twice when I requested to have another phone call with him, he answered all my questions in details. My husband and I decided to fly to see him for the surgery - which went very well. I was able to go for long walks as of the next day of surgery, and was able to fly back to Canada within one week's time. Dr. Mackoul is a highly skilled surgeon, he is very professional yet humbled, honest and very polite. He treated me and my husband with great respect and made sure we are well taken care of. He went far and beyond to make sure I was doing well during and after the surgery. He contacted me after the surgery to discuss the pathology report, made sure I was doing well and answered more of my questions. I can not thank him enough for what he did and I will be "forever" grateful to him. I highly recommend him to any of the patients who have complex gynecological issues like mine. I also have to mention that the nurses I met with on the day of the surgery were awesome, they were very compassionate and helpful. Also, Jasmine the receptionist at the surgical center was wonderful and made sure all our needs were met. I want to send a special thanks to "Mimi" the wonderful co-ordinator who helped arrange everything for us and was always responsive when needed something.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2018

For a long time I suffered from chronic debilitating pain that I thought was endometriosis. Turns out I had a very large fibroid. I was scheduled to have surgery at another well known facility but did not feel comfortable with their method, i.e. they used power morcellation. I believe the Lord directed to me to CIGC website and I reluctantly seeked them out because the road had already been long and I was weary, depressed and so uncertain of all I was dealing with. I am so happy I did. Being out of country they made the phone consultation easy. I spoke with Dr McKoul and soon enough I was scheduled for surgery. The center is beautiful and everyone was kind, assuring and very professional. Dr McKoul was very honest about what was best for me and his bed side manners made me trust him even more. The surgery went well, I barely required pain meds post op and you would not even know I had a surgery looking at my abdomen. I was very anxious about my follow up because it was obvious that my OBGYN in my home countrys method of watch and see was a poor decision. God used Dr McKoul to help and bring me healing. I have been pain free ever since. CIGC I feel was the best place for me and Dr McKoul is truly one who simply cares about helping you to get better. I pray he continues to care for women as these health issues can be very traumatic and stressful. Thank you Dr McKoul and CIGC!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2018

I was referred to Dr. Paul J. Mackoul from my OBGYN doctor G. Dunmore. I had a history of uterus fibroids. I have been out of work on medical leave (FMLA) with my mother for three months and received a called from my OBGYN that I needed to make an appointment to discuss my test results. My OBGYN knew that I didn't have more leave time left at my job due to my mother illness. She informed me that her procedure requires patients to be on leave for 8 weeks. I said, no way. (that's old school) . She gave me a referral to consult with Dr. Paul J. Mackoul. My first initial visit with Dr. Mackoul was short. He said, this visit is going to be a short. I need for you to take a MRI. He said, don't wait. My previous results showed a crazy mass. I smiled. I said, to myself "MRI". I have never had an MRI. I got to do it. I met one of his former patient in the bathroom. She referred her daughter to Dr. Mackoul. She rave how good he was. She said, she had her procedure ten years ago. Procedures change over time due to new technology and research. She highly recommended Dr. Mackoul. I felt much better. I got my MRI done and met with him on my second visit. He example my test results and ask what I want to do. I said, I want to move forward. I didn't want to keep a mass inside of me. He drew a picture of how the procedure will be done. I asked will the surgery before Christmas. He said, I doubt it. Anyway, I scheduled my procedure for January 2018. I have been talking to other women that were having a hysterectomy and they informed me that they will be out for 8 weeks. I got nervous. Dr. Mackoul procedure is at least two -three weeks out of work. I contacted his staff. The secretary, advise we to write down all of my questions and to schedule another visit before my surgery. I did that. I told Dr. Mackoul, this my be doubt question. I have never had children, will the vaginal procedure work for me. He explained to me that he was "specialist" in his field. He answered all of my questions. He is thorough. I had a D & C two weeks before my surgery. I am glad that he suggested a D &C before the surgery to see what' s going on in the uterus. ie( checking for cancer) I had a full hysterectomy January 2018 at the age of 50. Dr. Mackoul prescribed pills for menopause. As of yet, I am not having any issues with menopause . I stay cold more than I do hot. So far, so good. I highly recommend minimally invasive procedure. I was able to return to work in two weeks. I sit down all day at my desk anyway. Just don't do any heavy lifting for 8 to 10 weeks. Dr. Mackoul staff was very nice. I asked alot of questions. I would recommend writing your questions down and take notes during your consultation with Dr. Mackoul. For example; I asked him how many other surgeons will be in the operating room. I called back and spoke with the surgery coordinator to find out how many other skilled surgeons will assist Dr. Mackoul during my surgery and will there be any interns. The office secretary will give you documents stating no interns. My overall experience was great. I had my surgery at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver-spring, MD. My experience was great. Thank you Dr. G. Dunmore for referring me to Dr. Mackoul. The doctors in the DMV know other top rated specialized doctors. My co-worker said, she has seen Dr. Mackoul on the local channel in the DMW.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2018

I went in for a second opinion. The doctor explained to me the procedure let me pick the option l felt comfortable with. The staff were very professional . I live two hours away and it is worth it all as long as they can take my insurance l will drive those two hours even for regular checkups. I was very grateful being the country girl l baked them a cake that fibroid was monstrous they saved my life. THANKYOU!!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2018

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

UnitedHealthcare