Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

Dr. Mackoul is incredibly knowledgeable & skilled, he relieved my pain quick and easy. When I went to see him he explained to me the minimally invasive approach that he developed - laparoscopic surgery using only two small incisions. He explained how this type of approach decreases postop pain and shortens recovery time. I must say my recovery has been fantastic!!! I feel great, healthy and pain free after having minimally invasive surgery that barely left any scars. I am so glad I found Dr. Mackoul! I recommend him 100%

Submitted December 13, 2013

Overall the experience was quite good. Better yet the outcome was positive with no major side effects. I would recommend the doctor and office to others.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2013

Dr. Mackoul is a really great and knowledgeable doctor in his medical field and with the hospitals that he operates in.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2013

Based on my wife's feedback I provided a rating. Her overall experiences were satisfactory.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

I recommend him HIGHLY! (and have had friends call me saying that I have down-played him!) For over 20 years I suffered with pain and heavy bleeding. He came in the door, gave me a diagnosis, and my hysto was scheduled for two weeks out. His staff helped me with all my pre-op and post-op questions and problems (including my difficfulty with the pre-surg prep). I haven't felt this good since before puberty! My chronic pain is gone, I'm not going thru $50+ worth of products a month, and, my urinary issues are gone! And, most importantly, I'm not spending 3 weeks of the month in bed with hot pads and bottles of pain pills!I could feel the difference when I woke up in post-op!! I can enjoy swimming now, along with other day to day things that I couldn't enjoy before b/c of all the energy the endo and adeno sucked out of me! I FEEL AMAZING!

flag | Submitted August 6, 2013

Dr. MacKoul is the BEST - hands down. Dealing with major medical issues is stressful, but one thing I didn’t have to worry about was the level of care I was receiving. Unlike some surgeons, Dr. MacKoul discussed with me what I wanted & how we could achieve that goal while maintaining my health. He was patient, answered my questions thoroughly & worked with me and my family - he was an answer to prayers! I did wait a little bit, but when a doctor actually sits down with you and answers questions, there are bound to be tie-ups. Bottom line, it's worth the wait.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2013

So pleased! Very Quick recovery time. Had it done on Friday and back to work on Monday! Dr MacKoul explained everything in detail. So happy to have found him....what a blessing!!

flag | Submitted June 12, 2013

I rate Dr. MacKoul as Best because he was the ONLY doctor who was able to help rid me of my stage 4 Endometrosis. I suffered for many years with this painful condition and had 2 prior surgeries, which didn't help much. He is very skillfull and was able to remove most of the lesions; my cervix was even stuck to my bladder! I highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted June 11, 2013

I highly recommend Dr. Paul MacKoul & his team at Women's Surgery Center to anyone facing a hysterectomy. I live in Virginia & saw him at his McLean, VA office & had surgery at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington. Great surgeon--great hospital! His office schedules appointments & surgeries much faster than other northern VA gyn/onc specialists. He is an expert in laparoscopic surgery & has privileges at many NoVa/DC/MD hospitals. His manner is courteous & comfortable & he listens & answers your questions. I was very nervous & stressed, & he explained everything to me completely & made me feel totally at ease with the surgery. I was scheduled for the operation 2 days after seeing Dr. MacKoul. Everything went even better than expected. It was amazing! No pain - no complications. Again, I highly recommend Dr. MacKoul & his surgical team & Virginia Hospital Center.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2013

I saw Dr. Mackoul late in 2011 concerning pain that I had been experiencing since a myomectomy was perfomed by another doctor in his practice. He suggested that I have a hysterctomy performed (but the ovaries would remain intact). I told him no way, do something less drastic for now to see what is going on. He went ahead and scheduled my surgery for October. Long story short, while I was in recovery, he tells my mom (he didn't look at her by the way) that nothing could be done and that a hystertectomy was the only option). When I was coherent she told me what had been discussed and I immediately said to her that I am getting a second opinion. With my medical records in tow, my current doctor looked at the file and said not only had I been misdiagnosed with endometriosis that a hysterctomy was not necessary. Ladies do your homework about Mackoul. Oh by the way, he lied to my mom because adhesions from the 1st surgery had been removed during the second surgery.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2011

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Medicaid / Medi-Cal