Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

I found Dr. MacKoul to be very helpful and knowledgeable. Granted, we had to wait a while to be seen, but that is to be expected with most doctors these days. His staff followed up with me one week later (as he said they would) and my surgery is scheduled for September. I've called his office several times and have always received prompt and courteous service.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2009

I had a complication following a laparoscopic procedure by this doctor. He did not see me before discharge, did not return my telephone calls for 48 hrs, and was dismissive when he did call. When I saw a general surgeon for the complication, he said that he has seen an unusually high number of complications from Dr. Mackoul. Do not go to this ****.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2009

Everyone seems to like this guy, but I can't figure out why. I went to him for a second opinion and it was a complete waste of my time. He clearly hadn't looked at my history at all before he came in, which is pretty typical, but he didn't handle it well. He was confused why I was there. Then he said, "So, you're done with childbearing, right?" I'm 26 and have no children. What exactly gave him that impression? Instead of looking over my medical history himself, he just looked at the other oncolgist's notes. The point of getting a second opinion is not to just re-read the first opinion. He gave me stats which he couldn't possibly know (because no one knows them). He then proceeded to scare the crap out of me with his stories of other people with my diagnosis. I asked about this test, which is sort of new, but has been around a few years. He had no idea what I was talking about. He clearly was not up on the latest info on my condition. I will not be going back.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2009

Dr. MacKoul is a wonderful surgeon. I needed to have a hysterictomy and could not think about being cut from "ear-to-ear". Dr. MacKoul looked at my case and told me that he could perform the surgery laproscopic. I had the surgery on a Thursday, was released from the hospital on Friday, and was driving on Saturday. The surgery was in 2005 and I have not had a problem since that time.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2009

I had a large mass on my uterus which needed to be removed by surgery. When I went to talk to him he said that it may or may not be cancer, but he would not know for sure until surgery. It turned out to be cancer. I am now being treated by Dr. MacKoul. I think he is knowledgeable but he needs to be more available for follow up.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2008

MacKoul does gynecolgy / oncology -- not sure he does obstetrics at all, but the form didn't allow any other choice. His office schedules appointments and surgeries much faster (months faster for appointments, weeks faster for surgeries) than other northern Virginia gyn/onc specialists. He is expert in laparoscopic surgery, and is operates successfully even on severely obese patients and those with other complications (pulmonary, cardiac, diabetes, adhesions). He publishes in peer-reviewed journals. He has privileges at many NoVa/DC/MD hospitals, and though he performs more laparoscopic gyn surgery than anyone else in the mid-Atlantic, I never felt like I was on an assembly line. He was open about risks and alternatives. His manner is courteous & comfortable. He doesn't forget what you've told him, and he doesn't need to be told twice. I liked him as a person as much as I admire him as a surgeon. I've had several gyn surgeons and I know MacKoul has been my best. Very satisfied.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2006

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Top Doctor Washingtonian Magazine
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Top Urgent Care Centers in Rockville, MD