Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

From initial visit through surgery all explained and any questions / concerns addressed. I was made comfortable from entering surgery center until departure. All interaction was positive.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016

Everything was explained very well and everything went as explained. Everyone had been patient and very understanding. I knew exactly what to expect. The recovery was very easy. Beautiful facility, it’s definitely a great choice for surgery.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2015

Did not properly diagnose the extent of the procedure and associated recovery. Likewise his remedy for post-op problem was less than optimal

Submitted December 9, 2015

Dr Mackoul was my surgeon back in 2005 when I was first diagnosed with firbroids. Because of the amazing job he did then I reached out to CIGC when I my symptoms came back but even worse 10 years later. Best decision I ever made was to reach out to Dr Mackoul again. All these years later he remembered me. He was great then and even better now. I felt at easy with my decision right away and can believe how normal I felt a week after the procedure. I will never regret my decision to have my fibroids removed by D Mackoul at the Center for Innovative GYN care. I was back to work within a week and back to myself, my life within 2 weeks. I started a new job just a month before this diagnoses and couldn't afford any time out of the office. I was able to work remotely during my recovery week and was back to work and my colleagues had no idea I had a major medical procedure. Now I'm one step closer to the baby I want.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2015

Dr. MacKoul did a great job explaining my condition. I felt assured to have him perform my surgery. I had been looking for a great Dr in a long long time. He is an answered prayer. Professional, competent staff, strive to go above and beyond to resolve any issues. Post-op nursing staff was excellent. Dr. MacKoul is simply exceptional.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2015

Dr. Mackoul is terribly self-absorbed, to the point of nasty. I've never been more frustrated trying to speak with any doctor. Maybe the staff have improved over time, but I cannot imagine that Dr. Mackoul has learned to be a human.

Submitted November 3, 2015

Dr. Mackoul is the best there is! He was kind and understanding, explained everything that would happen during my surgery, and did an amazing job! I called him time and time again with questions after my surgery and he was always helpful. He is the best!

flag | Submitted September 25, 2015

Awesome experience for both surgeries, the doctor explained step by step what would happen and everything went well.

flag | Submitted September 9, 2015

The staff was very friendly + professional. Dr. MacKoul was very informative. The staff provided me with all the info I needed both before & after the surgery.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2015

Dr. MacKoul is the GREATEST. Dr.MacKoul explained both my gyn health issues with sheer grace,releiving my fear.For every kind word in the universe..Dr.MacKoul fits directly into that circle....ladies women of all ages and ethnicities..if ever you have gyn health issues..Dr.MacKoul is the best the greatest DOCTOR EVER. Dr.MacKoul was great at explaining intensely the process of my procedure.This is my second time being in the care of Dr.MacKoul..very little barely visible minimal scaring..My healing time was great with very little discomfort.My overall experience was beyond the greatest expectations of care.Dr.MacKoul comforts and care for you as if you were part of his family.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Top Doctor Washingtonian Magazine
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Top Urgent Care Centers in Rockville, MD