Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

He is wonderful .He is very Good and knows what he is doing.best doctor in the dmv area

flag | Submitted May 16, 2017

Dr. MacKoul is an amazing surgeon! I was scheduled for a "traditional" hysterectomy with 4-6 week recovery. After doing some research, I found Dr. MacKoul...and canceled my initial surgery. My procedure at the Innovations Surgery Center in Rockville, MD, was almost pain-free (only ibuprofen for 2 days). I have a tiny scar I can barely see. I was back at work in 8 days. I still cannot believe that I had a major surgery. I feel great 3 weeks later; I am back to normal. Five stars are not enough! Thank you, Dr. MacKoul!!

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

I was originally diagnosed with a HUGE ovarian cyst from my Gynecologist. (Cyst was 12" x 8" x 5" appx) My GYN told me I needed surgery & would be cut vertically appx 10" down my stomach, be in hospital 3-5 days & would take me about 6-8 weeks to recover.That night I did some research & found this amazing facility and Dr. I scheduled my appt with Dr MacKoul and was told yes, they could do my surgery & 5 days after was scheduled for surgery. Surgery was fast and easy! Day after I feel AMAZING! Dr MacKoul is an amazing Doctor-he is an angel in my opinion

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

I have nothing but good things to say. Dr. Mackoul viewed my medical records before my first appointment and he agreed that I could not wait any longer to have surgery. The lab results after surgery confirmed that he was correct! My recovery was just as he advised and I was back at work 2 weeks after having a total hysterectomy!!

flag | Submitted October 6, 2016

Dr. MacKoul is a phenomenal surgeon. I dealt with fibroids for over 15 years and Dr. MacKoul relieved me of this condition in a 1.5-hour, minimally-invasive surgery. The recovery was very fast; I was driving in 5 days. I cannot say enough about the professionalism of the staff and all who were involved in my care. I initially attempted to manage my situation through naturopathic means, so I was very healthy, but my body could not figure out how to get rid of fibroids that ultimately weighed over 9 pounds. I can say two things about my experience: 1) If you are suffering from enlarged fibroids and doctors in your area don’t seem confident in what to do with you, seek out Dr. MacKoul. You will not be an anomaly to him. 2) Do your best to maintain your health – diet, sleep, exercise, supplements, etc. – as healthy lifestyle choices will help you recover optimally post-surgery. Dr. MacKoul’s surgical skill has given me a new lease on life. My experience has been life-changing. I wish you well on your journey.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2016

I didn't know what to expect and was nervous about a procedure of this magnitude, but Dr. Mackoul answered my questions and assured me that all will be well, that I can resume a normal lifestyle. He explained what will happen before and after the procedure. Everyone was courteous, informative and respectful. I definitely recommend Dr. Mackoul and CIGC.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

I just had surgery 2 weeks ago with Dr. Mackoul, and I am extremely grateful to him and his staff at the Center for Inn., GYN Center. I flew from Los Angeles, CA the day before my surgery, and flew back to California, 2 days later. My fibroid tumor was over 25cm, which was very large. My only option in Los Angeles, would have been to have an open surgery with 4-5 days in the hospital and an 8 week recovery. Instead, my surgery was an out patient, I flew back 2 days later, and I have been up and around, never having to take pain medication. I am taking it easy, but honestly, I feel fine and actually I have to keep reminding myself to not over do it because I have just had major surgery. Extremely happy that I found Dr. Mackoul (who's a miracle worker) and the Center for Innovative GYN Center. Thank you!

flag | Submitted July 10, 2016

Amazingly pain free hysterectomy. Back to work in 1 week! Can't believe I put it off for 3 years. Dr Mackoul is truly an amazing surgeon with a wonderful bedside manner. I would recommend him highly!

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Dr. Mackoul and the staff at the Center for Innovative GYN Care. I had a very large, pedunculated fibroid (11 cm) located on the outside of my uterus. The fibroid started out small when first diagnosed years ago and my then OB/GYN suggested watchful waiting. While I had no pain or bleeding with this type of fibroid, I did, however, over this past year, notice that I was having some symptoms that included bloating, the appearance of a lump when laying down, and frequent urination. I heard about Dr. Mackoul while listening to WTOP on the way to work one morning. I contacted the Center and was able to get a consult appointment at the Annapolis office. Because I am 47 years old, and do not plan to have children, a hysterectomy was recommended, but leaving my one ovary. I was very nervous, but Dr. Mackoul was very reassuring and explained to me everything I needed to know. I had surgery at Holy Cross Hospital on 2/16/16. I came home that evening, took a pain pill to help me sleep that night. When I woke up the next morning, I couldn’t believe how good I felt. I only used Motrin for the next two days and returned to work six days later on 2/22/16. You can’t even tell where my incisions were! All I can say is my experience from beginning to end has been top notch. For women that are told they need invasive surgery, you MUST make an appointment with Dr. Mackoul. You will not regret it. He is amazing.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2016

In January 2016, Dr. Paul J. Mackoul, MD successfully performed a Laparoscopic Assisted Abdominal Myomectomy - Bilateral Uterine Artery Occlusion (LAAM-BUAO) procedure/ (tourniquet/temporary technique). Dr. Mackoul's medical assessment and innovative approach not only liberated me from several tormenting symptoms I had suffered from for 4-6 years, but also preserved my uterus and fertility! After an arduous, long, and disappointing surgical physician search, I learned of doctor Mackoul by a word-of-mouth referral from a work colleague who had previously experienced a successful LAAM-BUAO procedure performed by Dr. Mackoul's esteemed partner and colleague, Dr. Natalya Danilyants, MD. I counted it as a blessing in disguise! What is most memorable to me is that when I went to the CIGC website and read about all of the procedures, I was pleasantly surprised by how comprehensive and accurate the details were. I found that the CIGC website's information answered my questions and eased my fear of having surgery, which was something I never had to have in my 32 years of life. What I liked a great deal was the high level of professionalism of Dr. Mackoul's staff from the administrative front office, to the quality nurses of his Innovative Surgery Center in Rockville, MD to the surgical physician team and associates themselves. I could not have asked for a more stress-free and fluid moving surgical process and organized system on the day of my surgery. I will always appreciate that because I did not have family by my side during my surgery or after, but I didn't need them after all because God, my Angels, Dr. Mackoul and his staff were all there for me. Yes, I would and have recommended Dr. Paul Mackoul and the Center for Innovative GYN to friends and to (3) work employees. After the apprehension I had from four other GYN physicians during my research, yes, again and again, I would chose Dr. Paul J. Mackoul. Why? Dr. Mackoul is a honest, straight-forward, intelligent, communicative, articulate, thorough and caring GYN physician AND "surgeon" and that made all the good difference for me!

flag | Submitted March 30, 2016

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Top Doctor Washingtonian Magazine
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Medicaid / Medi-Cal