Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

For a long time I suffered from chronic debilitating pain that I thought was endometriosis. Turns out I had a very large fibroid. I was scheduled to have surgery at another well known facility but did not feel comfortable with their method, i.e. they used power morcellation. I believe the Lord directed to me to CIGC website and I reluctantly seeked them out because the road had already been long and I was weary, depressed and so uncertain of all I was dealing with. I am so happy I did. Being out of country they made the phone consultation easy. I spoke with Dr McKoul and soon enough I was scheduled for surgery. The center is beautiful and everyone was kind, assuring and very professional. Dr McKoul was very honest about what was best for me and his bed side manners made me trust him even more. The surgery went well, I barely required pain meds post op and you would not even know I had a surgery looking at my abdomen. I was very anxious about my follow up because it was obvious that my OBGYN in my home countrys method of watch and see was a poor decision. God used Dr McKoul to help and bring me healing. I have been pain free ever since. CIGC I feel was the best place for me and Dr McKoul is truly one who simply cares about helping you to get better. I pray he continues to care for women as these health issues can be very traumatic and stressful. Thank you Dr McKoul and CIGC!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2018

I was referred to Dr. Paul J. Mackoul from my OBGYN doctor G. Dunmore. I had a history of uterus fibroids. I have been out of work on medical leave (FMLA) with my mother for three months and received a called from my OBGYN that I needed to make an appointment to discuss my test results. My OBGYN knew that I didn't have more leave time left at my job due to my mother illness. She informed me that her procedure requires patients to be on leave for 8 weeks. I said, no way. (that's old school) . She gave me a referral to consult with Dr. Paul J. Mackoul. My first initial visit with Dr. Mackoul was short. He said, this visit is going to be a short. I need for you to take a MRI. He said, don't wait. My previous results showed a crazy mass. I smiled. I said, to myself "MRI". I have never had an MRI. I got to do it. I met one of his former patient in the bathroom. She referred her daughter to Dr. Mackoul. She rave how good he was. She said, she had her procedure ten years ago. Procedures change over time due to new technology and research. She highly recommended Dr. Mackoul. I felt much better. I got my MRI done and met with him on my second visit. He example my test results and ask what I want to do. I said, I want to move forward. I didn't want to keep a mass inside of me. He drew a picture of how the procedure will be done. I asked will the surgery before Christmas. He said, I doubt it. Anyway, I scheduled my procedure for January 2018. I have been talking to other women that were having a hysterectomy and they informed me that they will be out for 8 weeks. I got nervous. Dr. Mackoul procedure is at least two -three weeks out of work. I contacted his staff. The secretary, advise we to write down all of my questions and to schedule another visit before my surgery. I did that. I told Dr. Mackoul, this my be doubt question. I have never had children, will the vaginal procedure work for me. He explained to me that he was "specialist" in his field. He answered all of my questions. He is thorough. I had a D & C two weeks before my surgery. I am glad that he suggested a D &C before the surgery to see what' s going on in the uterus. ie( checking for cancer) I had a full hysterectomy January 2018 at the age of 50. Dr. Mackoul prescribed pills for menopause. As of yet, I am not having any issues with menopause . I stay cold more than I do hot. So far, so good. I highly recommend minimally invasive procedure. I was able to return to work in two weeks. I sit down all day at my desk anyway. Just don't do any heavy lifting for 8 to 10 weeks. Dr. Mackoul staff was very nice. I asked alot of questions. I would recommend writing your questions down and take notes during your consultation with Dr. Mackoul. For example; I asked him how many other surgeons will be in the operating room. I called back and spoke with the surgery coordinator to find out how many other skilled surgeons will assist Dr. Mackoul during my surgery and will there be any interns. The office secretary will give you documents stating no interns. My overall experience was great. I had my surgery at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver-spring, MD. My experience was great. Thank you Dr. G. Dunmore for referring me to Dr. Mackoul. The doctors in the DMV know other top rated specialized doctors. My co-worker said, she has seen Dr. Mackoul on the local channel in the DMW.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2018

I went in for a second opinion. The doctor explained to me the procedure let me pick the option l felt comfortable with. The staff were very professional . I live two hours away and it is worth it all as long as they can take my insurance l will drive those two hours even for regular checkups. I was very grateful being the country girl l baked them a cake that fibroid was monstrous they saved my life. THANKYOU!!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2018

Dr. Mackoul is a very skilled surgeon. I am 2 months post op, and my recovery was great void of any complications. I was walking 1.5 miles twice a day in my second week of recovery, and 3 miles straight by my third week. I owe this to Dr. MacKoul's knowledge and surgical skills which are truly a blessing to women's health. I highly recommend anyone who is need of any kind of gynecological surgery to make the trip to see Dr. Mackoul. It will be the best decision you have ever made for your health care.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2018

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago performed by Dr MacKoul. I was nervous about scheduling an appointment with him because, frankly, I thought my concerns would be disregarded. I am so glad I followed through. He listens and then speaks to you in a straight-forward, matter-of-fact manner. I appreciated it! I agree with another review posted here that my only regret is not doing it sooner! Words truly cannot describe how grateful I am that my internet search led me to the Center for Innovative GYN Care.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2018

I cannot say enough about my experience with Dr.Mackoul. I am going to be running a 5K exactly 8 weeks after he performed my hysterectomy! The problems females have in relation to pain and discomfort aren’t something that we need to live with. I feel like he really listened to me. Although I had been diagnosed with endometriosis at 17, it turned out that my issues were not only endometriosis but also adenomyosis. After having 5 other abdominal surgeries I was convinced that I was done dealing with things. A friend recommended I at least go and talk to Dr.Mackoul because I was miserable. I had no idea that having a c-section can increase your risk of experiencing adenomyosis and I actually had never heard of the diagnosis prior to meeting with him for my consult. You do not have to live in pain!! It was amazing to wake up and not feel the pain I had felt for years!

flag | Submitted April 8, 2018

Dr. Mackoul is amazing! I had my hysterectomy on my birthday Feb 6 2018 and it went very well ! I was out of work for one week and back to regular activities as well.. my incisions are very small and my recovery was very easy. I was so worried about the side effects after the hysterectomy but I have none.. I had adenomyosis and my uterus was very large and hard but he removed it without any issues.. I would definitely recommend Dr. Mackoul to any and everybody!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2018

I received thorough information prior to surgery, and knew what to expect. Recovery was very easy, I was back to normal activities in just a few days and only used pain killers for a couple of days. Everyone was wonderful, my only regret is not having the hysterectomy sooner. My life has completely changed since!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2018

I am a 44 year old woman and I had my surgery in 2016. I had multiple fibroids of different sizes. During my initial consultation, Dr. Mackoul was really nice and attentive. He also told me that I would only need a myomectomy and not a partial hysterectomy. I had told him he was my 3rd opinion as I had been told my 2 other doctors that hysterectomy was my only option. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Mackoul and we scheduled the surgery. On the day of the surgery, I was in the pre-op room waiting and really nervous as I had never had surgery before. Dr. Mackoul came in and told me me that after some consideration, he thinks it would be better I have a partial hysterectomy. He said I had too many fibroids and a partial hysterectomy would be a better option. Needless to say, I was quite taken aback as there was no time during our consultation that we discussed my having a hysterectomy. He even told me that he could remove any size and any number of fibroids. That was what he sold me on. even his radio ads stated as much. Imagine that I was already prepped thinking I would be having a myomectomy only to be told otherwise right before the surgery, I felt trapped. My surgery chart even indicated that I would be having a myomectomy. I told the good doctor that I would like to do the myomectomy because I wanted to preserve my uterus. He in turn told me that having a myomectomy would be more invasive and lead to a longer and more painful recovery. He also said he would have to permanently seal off one of the blood vessels that led to my uterus. He also said that at my age (43) by the time uterus recovers from the surgery, it might be too late tohave more children as I might be approaching menopause. This Dr. Mackoul was quite different from the kind and caring doctor I met during my initial consultation, He seemed to be in a hurry to get things over and done with as he had other surgeries and I was about the first one that morning. I asked to confer with my family in order to make a decision. I was scared of the side effects of having one of my blood vessels permanently blocked if I opted for the myomectomy. The nurse even came into encourage me to choose a partial hysterectomy, After conferring with my family, I opted to do a partial hysterectomy. The procedure was successful. I left the surgical center the same day I was up and about by the next day. I decided to share my story after much thought because even though Dr. Mackoul is a great surgeon, he blindsided me by convincing me to change my surgical plan minutes before surgery. I was never told of the complications of a partial hysterectomy. I suffered from deep depression and a sense of loss months after and things have never being the same in my privates. I barely have any sensation due to my cervix being partially removed as well. I feel it is my duty to inform people of my experience at the Center for Innovative GYN Care.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2018

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's response
We understand that you are not fully happy with your experience at The Center for Innovative GYN Care. Dr. MacKoul and CIGC have very high standards when it comes to patient care, and it is our goal that all of our patients are 100% satisfied. Our records indicate that during your initial consultation both options: myomectomy and supracervical hysterectomy, were thoroughly discussed. We always encourage patients to share any issue or concern they may have, prior to moving forward to the next stage of diagnosis and/or treatment. The day of surgery, the physician typically goes over both fibroid treatment options with the patient once again, so the patient is fully aware of the risks and benefits associated with each procedure. Hysterectomy is definitive fibroid treatment, and myomectomy is indeed a more complex, fertility sparing procedure. Compared to hysterectomy, myomectomy is more invasive, requires larger incisions, has more blood loss and a longer recovery. Hysterectomy was recommended in order to provide you with the best possible surgical outcome, for your particular case. Our records indicate that the day of surgery, a long discussion occurred between Dr. MacKoul, yourself and your family regarding supracervical hysterectomy vs myomectomy. CIGC surgeons have a moral and ethical obligation to recommend treatment that provides the best possible outcome, and we only move forward if the patient gives consent and is comfortable with the recommended next steps, which is what occurred in your situation. Supracervical hysterectomy maintains normal vaginal anatomy. Lack of sensation is not due to this procedure. We will be pleased to answer any additional questions or concerns that you may have, should you decide to reach out directly. The Center for Innovative GYN Care

Submitted March 16, 2018

Being just 24 years old, Dr. MacKoul was the only doctor who never judged me, he heard me out, and he fixed my problems! He is the absolute best of the best. I was able to do 2 flights of stairs the day after my hysterectomy, I was able to return home to my 3 large jumping dogs within 1 week, and within 2 weeks I was able to return to my highly demanding job (lifting 25lbs). Being 4 months post-op, I have never felt better. I wish I had found Dr. MacKoul sooner, and I wish I had this done sooner. Thank you, Doctor.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2018

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Top Urgent Care Centers in Rockville, MD