Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Mackoul

I live in Los Angeles and sought opinions from what you're led to believe are the best simply because you're in Hollywood or Beverly Hills. I was told I had up to 11 fibroids and would later find out endometriosis and adenomyosis. Because my uterus was so large, each doctor in town told me it was a difficult case and I had no option except a full open abdominal surgery. But I was not willing to settle for that and the 8 to 10 weeks of recovery I was told would come with it. I did my research and found CIGC and Dr. Mackoul. Dr. Mackoul reviewed my records and was very calm and confident that he could still do a minimally invasive hysterectomy using only 2 or 3 tiny incisions. He said he'd have me back at work in 7 to 10 days. He was very clear on what the problems were and how he could solve them. He answered all of my questions along the way. His focus is truly on getting a patient back to their regular life and he does it with great care. Without the emphasis on time, money or what your insurance will cover. After two appointments, I was so confident in Dr. Mackoul that I made the decision to fly across the country and pay out of pocket to have him do my surgery. My hysterectomy went well and I needed nothing more than Motrin for the first week. I felt well enough to go to the theater to see Hamilton on day 7 (YES!) and went back to work on day 8. My friends and family are shocked at how aside from being tired, l barely seem like I've had surgery at all. 5 weeks post op, all I have is some lingering exhaustion at the end of a busy day and 3 TINY incisions that are barely even there. Don't settle ladies. Goto the best. Choosing Dr. Mackoul to help me get my life back was the best decision I've ever made.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2017

The most wonderful and compassionate doctor I've ever met. Truly a remarkable surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2017

I had my surgery total hysterectomy September 21 2017 they were the best the ladies in the office were like family and Dr mackoul was the best would recommend anyone to go and see him

flag | Submitted November 2, 2017

Very professional staff throughout. Dr. Mackoul was outstanding! Very happy.

Submitted October 27, 2017

I had a smooth procedure and a speedy recovery. My symptoms have decreased so I can tell the surgery was successful.

Submitted September 28, 2017

He is wonderful .He is very Good and knows what he is doing.best doctor in the dmv area

Submitted May 16, 2017

Dr. MacKoul is an amazing surgeon! I was scheduled for a "traditional" hysterectomy with 4-6 week recovery. After doing some research, I found Dr. MacKoul...and canceled my initial surgery. My procedure at the Innovations Surgery Center in Rockville, MD, was almost pain-free (only ibuprofen for 2 days). I have a tiny scar I can barely see. I was back at work in 8 days. I still cannot believe that I had a major surgery. I feel great 3 weeks later; I am back to normal. Five stars are not enough! Thank you, Dr. MacKoul!!

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

I was originally diagnosed with a HUGE ovarian cyst from my Gynecologist. (Cyst was 12" x 8" x 5" appx) My GYN told me I needed surgery & would be cut vertically appx 10" down my stomach, be in hospital 3-5 days & would take me about 6-8 weeks to recover.That night I did some research & found this amazing facility and Dr. I scheduled my appt with Dr MacKoul and was told yes, they could do my surgery & 5 days after was scheduled for surgery. Surgery was fast and easy! Day after I feel AMAZING! Dr MacKoul is an amazing Doctor-he is an angel in my opinion

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

I have nothing but good things to say. Dr. Mackoul viewed my medical records before my first appointment and he agreed that I could not wait any longer to have surgery. The lab results after surgery confirmed that he was correct! My recovery was just as he advised and I was back at work 2 weeks after having a total hysterectomy!!

flag | Submitted October 6, 2016

Dr. MacKoul is a phenomenal surgeon. I dealt with fibroids for over 15 years and Dr. MacKoul relieved me of this condition in a 1.5-hour, minimally-invasive surgery. The recovery was very fast; I was driving in 5 days. I cannot say enough about the professionalism of the staff and all who were involved in my care. I initially attempted to manage my situation through naturopathic means, so I was very healthy, but my body could not figure out how to get rid of fibroids that ultimately weighed over 9 pounds. I can say two things about my experience: 1) If you are suffering from enlarged fibroids and doctors in your area don’t seem confident in what to do with you, seek out Dr. MacKoul. You will not be an anomaly to him. 2) Do your best to maintain your health – diet, sleep, exercise, supplements, etc. – as healthy lifestyle choices will help you recover optimally post-surgery. Dr. MacKoul’s surgical skill has given me a new lease on life. My experience has been life-changing. I wish you well on your journey.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2016

Dr. Paul J. Mackoul's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Paul MacKoul, MD is lead surgeon and director of The Center for Innovative GYN Care, board certified in Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is also Director of Gynecologic Laparoscopy at Holy Cross Hospital, former Director of GYN Oncology at George Washington University Hospital and Washington Hospital Center as well as former faculty at George Washington University Hospital. Dr. Paul MacKoul MD completed his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of North Carolina, and his residency in OB/GYN at the University of Maryland. He graduated from Medical School at Tufts University after completing a Master’s degree at Vincent T. Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown University. Paul MacKoul is a specialist in the treatment of gynecological cancers as well as benign conditions such as fibroids, ovarian masses and endometriosis. Dr. MacKoul and Dr. Danilyants at CIGC developed innovative surgical techniques such as LAAM for minimally invasive myomectomy and DualPortGYN for minimally invasive hysterectomy and resection of endometriosis. Women recover in less than 2 weeks after LAAM surgery and in 1 week after DualPortGYN procedures, with less complications and pain. As a leader in the field of laparoscopy, Dr. MacKoul has presented at major national meetings and has been published in world-renowned medical journals. He is frequently sought as a medical expert on techniques for minimally invasive removal of non-cancerous, pre-cancerous, and cancerous tumors. He was named a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology Designated Surgeon in 2012. He has been named a Top Doctor multiple times by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as Northern Virginia Magazine. Women travel from across the country and around the world for CIGC’s exclusive GYN procedures. You can learn about our travel program on our website at innovativegyn.com. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul J. MacKoul, call 888-SURGERY or contact CIGC online.

• English

• University of North Carolina (Grad. 1995)
  • University of Maryland (Grad. 1993)
  • Tufts University (Grad. 1989)

• Uterine fibroids
  • Endometriosis
  • Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Chronic pelvic pain in women
  • Uterine prolapse

• Top Doctor Northern Virginia Magazine
  • Top Doctor Washingtonian Magazine
  • Top 10 Doctor - State

• Validation Of LAAM: A Hybrid Technique For Minimally Invasive Myomectomy, SGS
  • Exploring the Patient Decision-Making Process in Choosing Open Hysterectomy, ACOG

Amerigroup