Ratings for Dr. Gwen Geraldine Bruce-Houle

I find her genuinely caring and personable and have never felt rushed during my appointments. She listens to me and I'm grateful for her not giving up on me, trying to help me find the cause and treatment for my medical problem. I have no hesitation on recommending her.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2017

I actually am considering reporting this doctor to the BC board of physicians and surgeons. I went to her with symptoms of post partum depression, and she told me, literally, to take a walk and write in a journal. I told her I had lost a substantial amount of weight in the last month as well. She asked me to come back in two weeks to monitor my weight. Two weeks later she didn't remember me. Again, brushed off my concerns and ushered me out and said to come back in two weeks. A week later I ended up in emerg with chronic diarrhea and more weight loss. The emerg Doctor said he thought I had post partum depression symptoms (without me even mentioning my own concerns!) and insisted I follow up with my family doctor. Also recommended a stomach scan and said would send a referral to my doctor. I returned to Dr. Bruce-Houle who again did not remember me. I told her about my emerg visit. She got very defensive of her "treatment" of writing in a journal and said she couldn't weigh me that day because someone was using that room. Said the scan that was recommended for me was expensive and we would wait for it to happen again before sending me for it. I left and called the Health Unit. They sent a nurse who came to my home and assessed me properly. NEXT! I took my 3 month daughter in for reflux. Explained that she would arch her back and scream when nursing. Couldn't burp and had constant large spit ups that literally would splatter on the floor. Dr said this was normal and ushered me out. I took my daughter to the walk in clinic at Rutherford a few days later. The doctor there was concerned and referred us to a pediatrician. The pediatrician treated my daughter for a while year for acid reflux with ridinanitine. NEXT! I took my new baby in two weeks ago for a fever and cold that wouldn't clear up. She prescribed an antibiotic. I took my baby back a week later because the fever persisted. She said the ear infection was better and maybe it was thrush. Prescribed an oral antifungal. Three days later I took my baby to the Medical Arts clinic and the doctor confirmed her ear infection was worse and now very serious. Said first round of antibiotics that were prescribed are no longer the recommended method of treatment because they are usually ineffective. Said she now needs to take a high dose of amoxicillin and return in ten days to ensure cleared up. If it hasn't, she will need to be monitored for possible hearing loss. Shame on me for continuing to have faith in this doctor. She is rude, on a good day, and arrogant. She does not have patience or bed side manner. She should retire as it's clear she has lost her passion for her work. I will take my kids and myself elsewhere from now on

flag | Submitted January 1, 2017

No compassion...your just a number...never finds a source...and discredits any mental illness..worst family doctor unless you want to heal yourself with st Johns wart and witch hazel. Not at all cooperative during crisis. Wish there were more fps in nanaimo..not recomended

flag | Submitted December 19, 2016

Let's just have a chat. I was referred to her after my doc moved away. I came to her experiencing pelvic pain due to menstration. I have had an extensive history when it comes to my cycle so I would think she would take precaution. I was told my vitamin B was low and was shrugged off. I returned months later with the same progressing pain and was told "to lick molasses" and when I returned again was told my pain was because I didn't lick enough. What? I had previously had an IUD put in place and she figured the pain might be due to an infection when it was placed. A fair enough assumption. I was put on a dose of antibiotics, another dose, and a pain killer. I was taking eleven pills a day. Keep in mind I was a 130lb 19 yr old, and her idea of a proper dose almost hospitalized me I couldn't even stand without feeling nauseous and dizzy. When I returned AGAIN telling her it the pain hadn't subsided she was getting fed up. I suggested the possibility of endometriosis and asked to be referred to a obgyn. She refused and proceeded to take my iud out. I visited her multiple times over the summer and each time she seemed more and more frustrated to see me. After the pain was progressively worse, to the point where I couldn't work, she sent me away for an ultrasound as well as a CAT scan. I pleaded for a referral but was refused on more than one occasion. When the results of the tests came back negative, she bold faced called me a liar and that there was nothing she could do for me. At this point our appointments went from 10 min to 30 seconds with an increase in condescension. After 6 months of pain and no answers that was it. I finally got my referral from another doctor (after which she refused to transfer my files) and was told that I do in fact have endometriosis and the pain was a result of that. Not low vitamin b, not a lack of molasses, and not because I am a liar. Thank you Gwen, your care was exceptional and I'll be sure to share it with everyone I know!

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

I went to the drop in clinic in Nanaimo when I was 16 years old to get a prescription for birth control. She isn't my regular doctor so I've never been to see her before. I went without my mom because I was being responsible doing this for myself. I was in a steady relationship that lasted four years. As I asked for my prescription she looked at me and said "Not too many 16 year olds come in here asking for birth control". As a doctor, that is so unprofessional and disrespectful. She had no idea what my situation was, and didn't even bother to ask. She wrote out my prescription and opened the door for me to leave. I could have just been taking it to help with my monthly visit from mother nature, or something worse. She made me feel awful about myself for making the right decision and I left in tears.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2016

Dr. Gwen took extremely good care of my Mom, who suffered with cancer and when Mom passed I asked her to be my personal doctor because I liked her great "bed side manner" :0)

flag | Submitted January 19, 2016

Best doctor I had in kenora . I was very sad when she left. My daughter was a baby and she still remember her

flag | Submitted September 27, 2015

WOW!!!! There is so much say about this woman. Having read all the other comments, I see that many, many, many other people have experienced the same despicable "treatment" from this "DOCTOR". There is a lot I have to say but I will just share the most recent encounter. I went to see her because I'd had a car accident, she didn't request any x-rays or any other type of testing for that matter, suggesting Epsom salts would do the trick. There were a few other appointments after that which did not go well at all because she discovered I had not returned to work and she felt that I should have returned to work immediately. When an x-ray was done on July 22/15, it found that my C-1 & C-2 vertebrae had shifted 4-5 mm as a result of the accident, there were other findings, but this was the scariest, yet she still insisted that I was fine and that "pain was my body's way of telling me to move". She even told me to my fact that I would go back to work when I received my settlement from the accident, she is a complete idiot. I have met many people in my life but never have I encountered a doctor that is so ignorant, judgmental, unprofessional and reckless with people's lives. I also believe she should lose her license, this woman should not be allowed to treat animals let alone humans.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2015

I saw other doctors at her clinic for my depression who were very helpful. When she came back from vacation, she prescribed me a self-help book and gave me the impression that she didn't approve of my choice to be on SSRIs. She also made me feel ridiculous for having suicidal thoughts. She was dismissive and I don't think she believes depression is a real thing. I was really disappointed with her. I'd never had a problem with her before this, and I'm now looking for a new doctor, which is hard to do in this small city. I don't understand why Townsite doesn't allow patients to see a different doctor in the same office, that's ridiculous.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2015

Dr. Bruce-Houle is a fantastic doctor! She's well educated and seems to always get it right. She won't push drugs when unnecessary but gives them when they are. I don't feel that she rushes appointments so the fact that she's late sometimes is fine with me!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2015