Ratings for Dr. John Vanderkooy

Dr. Vanderkooy is an amazing psychiatrist who has helped me see that I am not alone and that I can get better

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

After having a family discussion. I found him not open to any suggestions to help him get a patient to open up. He is very aggressive, blunt and very obvious it is his way or no way. I found him to have no empathy for his patients. I cant accept a treatment plan being " he has to talk to me or he won't get out for a long time" this is for a patient with social anxiety and trust issues who feels he can't talk to someone he doesn't trust, who intimidates and scares him so he gets locked up with no help . I was very disgusted after this meeting and surprised a doctor actually feels that way about his patients. Maybe he has been doing this job too long and he can't deal with it anymore. He seems more worried about his license than his patients

flag | Submitted June 15, 2018

when i was admitted to the hospital for depression and suicidal ideation and stayed in the mental health unit, i was given dr vanderkooy. the first time i saw him he made me cry from his loud (yelling) voice and swearing. he is inconsiderant and insensitive, and left me locked in my room just for crying because he was scaring me. he’s triggering and always seems angry at me, i DO NOT RECOMMEND this doctor, he should be sued and is not suited to be a psychiatrist at all.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2018

insensitive, dismissive, and actively uses rude language. left appointments often hurt. will not return.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2017

Dr. Vanderkooy is the rudest and most inconsiderant doctor I have ever met. He tried kicking me out of a hospital just because he didn't believe my story on a serious suicide attempt that happened lesss than 2 weeks before. My family doctor back home actually had to call him to yell at him to re admit me. He obviously doesn't have a care in the world for suicidal patients. He also lied a lot and his solution for everything was more pharmaceutical drugs. Even ones with serious side effects but he would never say that. If I followed his advice or kept him as a doctor chances are I would be dead right now. No joke, the nurse of my family dr told me that he had me on way to high of a dose of sleeping pills, she was stunned and said it was a high enough dosage to tranqulize a horse while vanderkooy thought it was a small dose and wanted to give me more. I even heard a nurse or two of the staff that works under him say bad things about him. This guy is a terrible human being who should get sued and have his license revoked.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2017

Dr. Vanderkooy is currently helping me with depression. His style is blunt and helpful. I like the way he re-directs my thinking and leaves me with helpful ideas or steps to lead me to wellness.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2014

Dr. Vanderkooy is the most amazing doctor I have ever spoken to. He was so helpful I did I mention he was helpful? I would give him 6 stars out of 5.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2012

I went to him when I was younger and going through a really rough time in my life with depression I was about grade 10-11. I actually found him very compassionate and he did a lot for me. I found him easy to talk to because he was down to earth and easy to talk to and I've been to other doctors that have seemed too stuck up for me to tell them anything. I'd say give him a try...it takes a while to find the right psychiatrist...I went through a lot and no one will get along with everyone. It's a long process.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2011

I am one of his patients for his psychiatric clinic. I find that he can hurt my feelings and make me feel disgusting even when he says nothing. When I weigh myself, he stares at me as if I am a morbidly obese freakshow act, and all I do is blush deep red, suck in my stomach, and cry afterwards. I find it absolutely deplorable for a medical professional who prides himself in running an equitable, inclusive, and tolerant practice. He has driven me to such awful lengths, and I am thoroughly disgusted by his behaviour. His staring is shameful and adds to the depression that the medication is trying to get rid of, and possibly that the weight gain is a side-effect of the meds, and I expect him to know that, or at least not stare.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2011