Ratings for Dr. Mary Harris

I found her to be rude and impatient and only interested in doing a colonoscopy not caring about helping me. I will not be going to her again.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

Dr. Harris was generally unhelpful and also belittling. On my first visit I began with stating that I was unsure of what was ailing me but I believed a part of it had to do with lactose intolerance. She then proceeded to lecture me that I didn't have to spend money and waste her time to consult her if I was lactose intolerant. I then repeated that while yes, I'm sure I could figure it out on my own, I believed that something else was bothering me and I proceeded to describe an acute illness etc. Then she was all of a sudden quite interested in my case. She suggested a variety of -oscopy's which I then underwent. It took more than the 2 weeks advertised to receive the results. When they turned up negative I was told congrats and she went to hang up the phone, like my negative results meant that I felt better! No "next steps, no "come back and see me" or "let's work on a solution" or "here's what I think you might have." I guess my case went back to being uninteresting again for her. I stopped her before she hung up and asked "what do I do now?" I was told to try an elimination diet, then she tried to hang up again. "What about probiotics?" I was told to try Align, then she said goodbye and hung up. Align has a D+ consumer rating.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

Dr. Harris was very very moody; some days she was happy to see me, other days she made it clear she found me tiresome and irritating. Once she came out and said she had a sicker patient she would rather be seeing (this after I'd taken the day off work to come to the appointment). The strangest part about seeing Harris is that she never once examined me or even touched me. Though I'm not sure why, I had a suspicion it was because I was a male. (At one point the mere possibility of a digital rectal exam came up--maybe a resident raised it--and she became nervous and claimed her fingers "weren't long enough" to do it.) I've never seen doctor so unwilling to have physical contact with a patient. She never once touched my abdomen--even briefly, though she is a gastroenterologist and I was there with abdominal issues. There were other shortcomings, including not returning my phone calls. I had more attentive care from the nurse/nurse-practitioner. Finally, I should note that Harris also is not Board-Certified in gastroenterology.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2015

Dr. Harris ROCKS!!! She is such a great doctor. I saw another gastro with bad results until I found Dr. Harris. She has been my doctor for 10 years. She is THE BEST! She is brilliant, knowledgable, kind, caring and has a great staff. I hightly recommend her!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2010

Dr. Mary Harris's Credentials

• Univ Of Va Sch Of Med, Charlottesville Va 22908 (Grad. 1983)