Dr. Dale Macdonald

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Dale Macdonald

I have been visiting the Knee Clinic and Dr Macdonald for various knee issues over the years and it is the only place where I feel like they actually explain whats going on to me, and what the diagnosis is. I didn't want to wait for treatment, and he saw me extremely quickly and I could not be more grateful. He gave me multiple treatment options and I felt like a true partner in my health care. I wouldn't be skiing without him.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2018

I went to see Dr Dale after I had an accident on my motorcycle and busted my knee. The wait time at the University of Calgary was absolutely ridiculous, and Dr. Dale saw me very quickly and fit me for a custom brace. I was listen to, explained the diagnoses, and I am feeling so much better now. I could not have done it without him. The wait would have done me in.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2018

Visited Dale for lower back pain. He was too quick to diagnose and adjusted immediately after my consent. But instead of fixing a rather not that painful problem of lower back, I now have acute upper back, shoulder and neck pain resulting in muscle spasms and also jaw alignment issues and resulting headaches that have persisted for over 3 months now. I've left a message with the staff to see if Dale had any recommendations to fix the new issue but no response since. Instead I've been working with physio and osteopath to relieve symptoms though the underlying issue has made everyday life difficult. For a young person, a chiropractor appointment going so wrong and the body unable to heal itself sounds really scary to me.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2018

I was referred to Dr. Macdonald from my family doctor, and I'm so grateful for that referral. After years of progressively increasing hip and lower back pain I was losing the ability to do any of the activities / recreational sports I had long enjoyed. Dr. Macdonald was very pleasant, inquisitive and seemed to genuinely care about my history and hopes for the future. His examination was thorough beyond anything I'd experienced before (and I've been to several specialists for this very complaint), and his explanation of the diagnosis was crystal clear. He went over treatment options with me, ranging from his care to surgical intervention and suggested alternatives that were clearly in my best interest and didn't involve his clinic at all. After six treatments with him and his wonderful staff I'm feeling nearly pain free for the first time in years...and the improvement seems to be lasting. I would recommend him without hesitation, and have in fact referred several co-workers to him already. If I could give an even higher rating I would. A+++.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2018

Pulling the principles from Dr. MacDonald’s website it states their promises to their patrons are: “Results, Clarity and Collaboration”. For me I definitely received those promises but I doubt it was in any way the form they intended. The Result: don’t come back to the clinic. The Clarity: clearly if you don’t like something about the appointment Dr. MacDonald’s ego will be hurt. And finally, Collaboration: non-existent. Dr. MacDonald’s mission, “We exist to help active, health-conscious individuals achieve their highest levels of being, by providing a highly specialized, research-based, collaborative approach to patient care.” The research was so good that after not being certain if my scaphoid was broken he attempted to ‘correct’ the position of a bone that wasn’t (in his words) “medically dislocated” prior to having the results. Needless to say, the professionalism from Dr. Macdonald was insufficient. His level of petulance and unprofessionalism make me wonder how he retains any patients at all. An overview: • He showed up 30 minutes late for his first appointment of the day • He tried to ‘correct’ a ‘non-medically’ dislocated bone when a different bone in my hand was fractured • He had me sign a waiver after he had completed the work; I take full responsibility for signing this but having me sign it afterwards reaffirms his lack of professionalism • He charged $334 (the cost of a 45 minute appointment) for a 15 minute assessment. This was refunded due to the great customer service of Stephanie. • He called and informed me all my future appointments were cancelled • He failed to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon and instead told me to go to urgent care I went to see Dr. Dale MacDonald after having a cast removed for what was a suspected scaphoid fracture. Out of respect, showing up on time, or informing the others you are running late has been a principle that has dictated my entire adult life. I understand everyone is human and issues come up; I was, however, Dr. MacDonald’s first appointment of the day. Arriving late for the first client showed me that Dr. MacDonald lacks a certain level of professionalism you would expect. He pulled up my x-rays and explained that based on what he was seeing he would like to send me for bone scan to eliminate the possibility of a misdiagnosis. He then asked where the pain was to which he claimed I was an “anatomical marvel” for picking the ‘lunate’. According to Dr. MacDonald, after showing him where the pain was most prevalent he said that my lunate was dislocated. “Not medically dislocated but it is in the wrong spot.” He then asked me to lean back, which I did. He ‘attempted to put the bone back in place.’ My scaphoid was fractured – Imagine the pain. I don’t have a Doctorate but when I hear statements like: “it isn’t medically dislocated but it’s in the wrong spot.” RED FLAG. I turned to peer-reviewed medical articles and trusted sources such as the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The dislocation of the lunate can easily be seen in an x-ray. He then says, “I need you to sign this, it effectively says you agree to letting me work on you, which I have already done.” This was a total error in my judgement. I never should have signed that document, but felt without signing it was asking for unnecessary confrontation. My total appointment with Dr. MacDonald lasted 15 minutes. I was then charged $334 for my appointment. If I was to break down the appointment based on my actual appointment after the tardiness of Dr. MacDonald it would have been $111.33. It’s not a financial issue and never was: if it were I wouldn’t be writing this review and I would be on my way with the $334 refund and that would be the end of this ordeal. The principles involved are the issue. I wouldn’t want to encroach on other appointments but to have the audacity to think a 15 minute appointment should be treated the same as a complete assessment strikes me as laughable. My bone scan results came back as a fractured scaphoid. Based on that I assumed a referral would be made to an orthopaedic surgeon. Instead something shocking occurred. Dr. MacDonald asked if I was unhappy with the first visit to which I said yes. He then said, “and I believe we have refunded your money,” which they had. He then proceeded to tell me that he “has taken the liberty to cancel all future appointments with [his] clinic.” I guess that means I have been fired as a client of his for having issues with the first appointment. After firing me as a client, and neglecting to refer me to a specialist, he advised I should go to urgent care to get a cast put back on. I thanked him for advising to have a bone scan done and he hung up. I encourage anyone who has had similar issues with Dr. MacDonald or anyone considering seeing Dr. MacDonald to reach out to me. If this review discourages one person from having a similar experience it was all worth it for me! Tim

flag | Submitted June 4, 2018

I first saw Dale in January when I ruptured my ACL. He was quick to diagnose it, even quicker to sell me a $2,100 knee brace and recommend $1,000 PRP injections and adamant I did not need surgery. He used a blurry ultrasound machine that could barely detect what was happening (and half way through my $400 exam, someone came and took the machine). He did not order an MRI, yet he felt he knew what was wrong with my knee and could in fact heal me. Once I had the MRI (which I personally requested and paid for) and went to my sports doctor and she recommended a surgeon consult as there was a lot of damage that no therapy was going to heal. Dale is a business man and he is in the business of making money. I believe he did not offer me the right treatments (backed up by four other doctors). Make sure you explore all your options when you suffer any sort of injury. Had I followed his protocol, I would have been in immense pain and a candidate for a knee replacement in the near future. Do your research and make sure you go to the knee clinic at the University of Calgary.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2018

I was referred to Dr. Macdonald by my family physician in Edmonton and am so grateful that I drove down to see him. I was deemed too young to get a knee replacement yet my pain was intolerable. Pain medications were not the route I wanted to take, and with the help of Dr.Macdonald I was provided with a custom brace and was shown exactly how to properly strengthen my knee. I was in 9/10 pain when I arrived to his office and within one month am down to a 1 or 2/10. Of equal importance is the fact that I have an optimistic outlook again. Thank you so much!

flag | Submitted March 10, 2018

I have seen Dr. MacDonald for a few issues over the years and I have found him to be professional, knowledgeable, experienced and personal as well. He treated my problems in an efficient manner and did not treat me long after the problems were resolved. Not only does he treat the problem, but he recommends ways from having it recur. He is the best! Thank you, Dr. Dale!

flag | Submitted February 5, 2018

Very over-priced, do not communicate costs and less expensive options. Recommended viscosupplement done by a naturopath - didn't inject the correct joint and not able to claim through alberta health insurance OR private insurance. The orthopedic surgeon said the injection was a waste of time/money/pain as the joint injected, although easier to inject, does not communicate with the affected joint. It wasn't communicated with me that the naturopath was not able to inject the joint required, I was assured the joints communicate (which is only the case in <15% of people), and was not told that there are alternative, more affordable and reliable ways of having this injection performed. Dr. Dale seems to talk the talk but I found that when it comes to complex problems with multiple injuries, he didn't offer any physio/strength training exercises, or ways to overcome problems. Just injections and more chiro - both very debatable in terms of their effectiveness. Overall, for me, too expensive for what it's worth. I'd rather spend my money on physio, massage, and sport-specific trainers. Great place for DINK type people with money to burn (ie triathletes...).

Submitted December 5, 2017

Dr. Dale Macdonald

Dr. Dale Macdonald's response
I'm sorry to read that you feel we did not communicate well with you. Our Brand promises are Results, Clarity and Collaboration, and we always offer physiotherapeutic / strengthening programs as a part of our approach to care. Please call the office to speak with me directly and we can address your concerns.

Submitted December 5, 2017

Professional. Knowledgable. Personable. Caring. Kind. The only Dr. I would want to see when it comes to knees or chiropractic needs. Thanks Dr. Dale!

flag | Submitted October 9, 2017

Dr. Dale Macdonald's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Macdonald is a Chiropractic Sport Specialist in private practice in Calgary, Alberta Canada. He is the director of both a multidisciplinary sport injury clinic called Elite Sport Performance as well as the Knee Clinic, which serves as the only private knee clinic in Alberta. These clinics employ seventeen staff including nine different types of health care practitioners. He received an undergraduate degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario. He obtained his Doctor of Chiropractic from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College and went on to become the first Chiropractic Sport Specialist to successfully complete the Calgary based Sport Sciences Residency Program. Additionally, Dr. Macdonald has previously obtained certification with Active Release Technique, Graston Soft Tissue Technique and is a Sport First Responder. He also holds NSCA certification as a Strength and Conditioning Specialist. A former professional motorcycle racer, he is now the director of medical services for the Canadian contingent at the annual FIM Motocross des Nations World Championship event and works as a member of the core medical group at select rounds of the FIM / AMA World Supercross Series. He is the former Chief Health Care Coordinator of the Canadian Professional Motocross National Championship Series. Under the tutelage of Dr. Greg Uchacz, Dr. Macdonald has previously worked as Sport Chiropractor to Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton at select rounds of the FIBT World Cup Series and to the Subaru / Gary Fisher team at select UCI World Cup Mountain Bike races. He worked at the National Track and Field Championships in Calgary, Alberta in 2011 and in more recent years has been working with Red Bull to provide sport specialist care to a broad spectrum of their sponsored action sport athletes in disciplines as diverse as bicycling to airplane racing. He works annually at the Crankworx Mountain Bike Series and the Red Bull JoyRide competition in Whistler. In March of 2015 he served as director of medical services for the Red Bull Crashed Ice world championships in Edmonton, a role which will see him attend each round of the world championships in 2016. In addition to his work with professional athletes, Dr. Macdonald worked in the Whistler PolyClinic during the 2010 Vancouver Paralympics. Beyond the sport chiropractic realm, he is a medical consultant to the hit AMC television series “Hell on Wheels” and is a biweekly “sport injury expert” guest on CTV Calgary Morning Live news broadcast. A competitive distance runner, Dr. Macdonald blends his passion with his profession by hosting the annual “Smart Runner” Workshop at Mount Royal University. These workshops present the latest peer-reviewed research on running in an easy to understand and practical manner for elite and beginner runners alike. He is also the co-founder of the Stampede Road Race, an Athletics Alberta certified race which is held annually on the first Sunday of the Calgary Stampede. This race sells out each year at a capacity of two thousand five hundred participants competing in five kilometer, ten kilometer and half marathon distances. Since its inception in 2009, this race has raised nearly one hundred thousand dollars for local and national charities including the Wounded Warriors initiative.

• English

• Cmcc (Grad. 2002)
  • University of Western Ontario (Grad. 1998)

• Knee braces for osteoarthritis