Ratings for Dr. Alston Unwin

I was under Al Unwin for 2 years [1977-1978]. When another patient started carrying on in the room I was in at Belmont hospital, Dr, Unwin blamed me when I had done nothing. His reaction was extremely cruel. In fact, he should have been criminally charged for what he did to me. I stuck with him for the next 2 years, thinking maybe he could help me, but mainly because my mother wanted me to. When I left Brisbane after the 2 years, I went to see another doctor. After telling him what I was on etc, he nearly freeked out. This doctor told me I was the subject of a false diagnosis & should never have been on the medication Dr. Unwin put me on. That explained why I never really improved whilst under his care. My new doctor then told me I was totally reject anything and everything Dr. Unwin had said and done. In fact, me doctor's advice was, & I'll quote: "If anyone tries to put you on those medications again, I want you to punch them down and come running to me. I'll sort them out." I was then treated appropriately & have never looked back. My opinion is that Dr. Unwin was not only a quack, but potentially vindictive and cruel. Being his patient was a black hole in my life. I learned from that experience to test everything doctors say & analyse for myself my own medical condition. For me, I have nothing good to say about the man. If he has helped others, good for them. I am convinced though he has a hoard of other patients who see him otherwise. I would confer with the other comments on this board. He gave me meds that masked the symptoms but treated nothing.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

If you ring up Belmont and ask for an appointment with the erstwhile medical director you will be met with the news that he passed away a couple of years ago.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Dr Unwin was very helpful to me. I had a rapid onset reactive stress related psychosis and was extremely unwell for a short period of time. He organised the most appropriate treatment quickly and I recovered well with no relapse at the three year mark. I am unsure if he would be the right person for a lengthy client/psychiatrist relationship but in my case he could not have been better. It is thanks to him and ECT that I am alive to write this review. His bedside manner was no important when I was psychotic.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2015

Arrogant and unprofessional. I spent wasted years and thankfully I escaped to an excellent practitioner.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

I was under Dr Unwin for several years, this being a time when I was very unwell, and could not make uniform decisions for myself. I trusted in Dr Unwin's knowledge and experience. While I felt he was good with the medication side, his bedside manner left a lot to be desired. As an inpatient, if you had full 5 min daily appointment, that was classified as a good day. He is definitely not a Dr who you can fully open up to and establish a Dr - Patient relationship with. It felt like I spent several years just going around in the same circle and making little or no progress medically. Much of his very little advise given was outdated and in inpractable. Since changing Dr's within the same facility, my life has taken the most dramatic change of direction. My new specialist is everything Dr Unwin was not. I have achieved so much more in the past few years with my new specialist than what I did in all the years I was under Dr Unwin. While I acknowledge the fact that Dr Unwin is very reknowned and is most certainly at the top of his field, he was not the specialist for me. Also the process of changing specialists, which is totally within my right to do so, was very long and complicated, especially given the fact that I was very unwell at the time. I do not regret for one moment changing Dr's when I did. I now lead a very full and productive life which is much to the credit of my new Dr, something I definitely know I would never achieved under Dr Unwin.

flag | Submitted May 29, 2015

Dr unwin displayed great understanding and compassion during my treatment. He was always supportive and offered great advice and direction. He was never judgmental and listened to my concerns and I could not have been more thankful to have such a great doctor.

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

Unlike the other comments, I found Dr Unwin to have great insight, understanding and kindness. He helped me through a tricky patch. I did feel a few times that he might have forgotten things I said in the past or which patient I was for a minute or two, but it didn't impact on the treatment, just caused me to be upset briefly. No one is perfect, and his great experience far overrides the small mistakes.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

Not a very good experience with this doctor, he's a bit of an ego-tripper really. I had a feeling he sabotaged my treatment because I did my own research and didn't agree with his first suggested medication. He had the audacity to be rather arrogant when I was at one of my lowest points and the prescribed medication didn't quite work - okay it didn't work but that's no reason to laugh to my face. Was treated by him several times and it was always at best just a quick fix with no regard for long term stability. The arrogance was a wake up call for me that empowered me to stay away from him despite his supposed reputation among doctors and find someone who's a bit more sensible and thinks of both short & long-term improvement.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2014

I conclude with former comments for this doctor...especially in the area of ego and self massage in front of practice managers who sit in on the consultation. After giving the patient time to say a few words the doctor then spiels off on what seems like unrelated comments. My experience with this doctor was unhelpful and confusing. I was referred to him for an assessment...when asked by the referrer what conclusion he came to..he answered that he couldn't remember the patient. In my opinion this doctor shoud be put out to pasture.. he is too old to have such a powerful position and other doctors tend to hold him in esteem which is quite concerning..don't waste your time with this doctor.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2014

Dr Al was of great help to me over a period of more than ten years. I would strongly recommend him for his perceptive treatment. His treatment plan was very effective and was of great assistance in helping me to overcome my problems.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2014